My advice to pre-pharmers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Name one advice without any of the doom and gloom.

crazybob, you so CRAY-CRAY.

It would destroy Somatic's fear-mongerer schtick. Besides, it would be the first honest thing that Somatic has contributed to the entire thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacy-Gloom!
Pharmacy Student-Doom!
Male Pharmacy Student getting married-Groom!
Sweep my floors with a Broom!
My motorcycle goes Vroom!
In the spring the flowers Bloom!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacy-Gloom!
Pharmacy Student-Doom!
Male Pharmacy Student getting married-Groom!
Sweep my floors with a Broom!
My motorcycle goes Vroom!
In the spring the flowers Bloom!

Do you mind if I use this in my sig? I will give you appropriate credit, of course.

Go ahead. If it makes you money, I want my cut. :laugh:

Everyone knows the job market isn't the same as it was a few years ago. However, complaining about it on this forum is useless. Instead, you should take actions. Write to the board of pharmacy, associations. Tell them to stop pumping out new schools. Do something about it.

Everyone knows the job market isn't the same as it was a few years ago. However, complaining about it on this forum is useless. Instead, you should take actions. Write to the board of pharmacy, associations. Tell them to stop pumping out new schools. Do something about it.

...but it's so much easier to complain on the internet

This thread is like "the song that never ends".... it never ends. :p

To some people, $100k would certainly be a sugar daddy. SHC just has superior taste is all.

Well unfortunately by the time I get out of school I will be almost 29 yo...I doubt any sugardaddy would want someone as old as that! :(

I guess it's unfortunate that you realize that after you've been through a lot. And yes, it's about your happiness, but thinking about it more. Pharmacists can live a comfortable living. As someone on this forum said, there are jobs out there, you just cannot be picky. Like say you want to find a job within an hour away from your house, good pay, etc etc it's just not going to cut it. I'm sure you know about it than I do since your a pharmacy student.

I see what you mean. I guess the main reason why I posted on here is b/c
I have been there done that. I don't have much work experience but I have been in school my entire life so I know how it feels like. I know school is expensive first of all, so get ready to pay those six figure loans. I know school takes up a lot of time so get ready to delay your life for a few years at least, if not a decade! During that time you aren't only losing money b/c you are taking out loans, you are losing money b/c you aren't making any money AND you are quickly wasting away your PRIME YOUTHFUL YEARS. My youth is PRICELESS, my debt I can pay back. I just want people to know what they will be losing is all that I am saying. I posted the story with my friend as an example and also as an example of something that I wish I had. I know people on here think she married a sugardaddy but she did NOT. She married someone she really loves. VERY FEW people on here can tell me they dated their husband since high school and have been happily married ever since. I don't have that and if you choose college good luck finding the time for that. I am envious of her relationship more than anything else thats why I brought her up.

On the side note I worked with a pharmacist that has been a pharmacist for 12 years. She graduated with NO debt from school, she is 36 yo right now. I am sure she is rich b/c she worked at Walgreens for so long AND I am sure that she is rich b/c she is still single with no husband and children. BUT WHY THE HELL DO YOU WANT THAT LIFE??? I think that sucks. I just want a normal life with a great husband, comfortable living, 1 to 2 kids etc. Staying single forever, studying hours on hours a day, and being in school for 10+ years just does not sound appealing to me. (And I can say that b/c I have EXPERIENCE school for that long! :laugh:)

I am just on here to let people know what they are getting themselves into and that they are not just taking out 100K and then magically land a job that paids 120K a year. They are losing much more than that to get a pharmacist job!

And ^^^ that isn't even mentioning the POOR job market and the good chance of YOU NOT being able to land a job!!! I haven't even mention that yet and the ^ already sounds bad. SO I can't imagine why anyone will think this road is going to be a easy cakewalk to money. Again I have say this 10 million times now! Do pharmacy if you really have a passion for it. If you are doing it b/c you think it is an easy cakewalk to money, PLEASE READ ABOVE and think again!

Name one advice without any of the doom and gloom.

Sure, the best advice I can give someone if they really reallllllllllly realllllllllllllllly have a passion for pharmacy is this:

The people that get jobs now are the people that have personal connections. A CONNECTION is the key. The only reason why I got a summer internship was b/c my uncle knew a higher up in the company. He told him I needed a internship and he hired me b/c he is friends with my uncle. That was the ONLY way I could have landed a job!!!!! He told me he had over 300 applications for this position but since he knew my uncle and was friends with him for over 10 years he pull my application to the top of the pile and hired me!!!! thats how you get a job now! Thats the only way you can get a job now! Take notes! Did my grades matter? no Did my research matter? no Did those groups that I joined matter? no None of that crap matters! The only thing that matters is if you know someone.

SO try to make your connections, that's about the ONLY WAY you can get a job now. It's not all doom and gloom if you have good personal connections and that is what matters. Good luck to all that is still wanting to pursue this field even after all these warnings! Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Honey relax. A cousin of mine just had a baby, perfectly healthy, at 40. I know another one that had one at 42, her first and perfectly healthy. I would have one of my fingers surgically removed if it meant being 29 agian. I'm 34 going on 35 and I haven't even started Pharm school yet!!! Not married no kids. You'd say its cuz I'm a man but I feel the pressure from mom to settle down and start a family. I'll be 40 by the time I'm starting my pharm career. You'll be 30. I know people in med school who will be 40 when they're done. You'll be 30 and done...no more school just work. You're still young BELEIVE ME and you can enjoy yourself like everyone else that you know has. I took the opposite route. I worked till I was 30 then decided to go this way. Yeah I had fun in my 20's but if I could do it again I wouldve done pharm school then and not now. You're gonna be single, a still young 30, and have a pretty nice job with some nice earning potential and lets be honest they'll always be a need for what you do....and you know what that makes you in a guy's mind? A catch. YOu'll be fine beleive me. I guess its always a grass is green kinda thing but beleive me you still have A LOT of youth to live out. My advice is once your done...take advantage of it. Use your vacation time to travel.

Ask again in about 10 years.

I think it depends on what you study. I majored in polisci. If I could do it again I wouldn't do that because its not a major that you need to go out and find work. Its not a skill. Pharm is a skill, nursing is a skill. Those kinds of things will always be needed.

Good point! If I am jobless when I graduate I will be on here to b*tch about it for sure! LOL... And if I do get a job I will be on here to give people advice on how to land one! If I get a job....

A baby at 42? Damn! I am hoping to have one child when I am 31 or 32.

You mentioned earlier that you are making 50K a year now. R you doing what you love? Do you love pharmacy? Do you really love being single for the rest of your life? lol...

If you really love your job and is making 50K a year that isn't bad at all. You can marry someone that also makes 50K a year and that's 100K family income. That isn't bad (it's guarantee income unlike pharmacy b/c you don't know if you can land a job when you get out!) But the point is money isn't the biggest issue. Don't you rather start your life now and have a family? Do you really want to waste more years of your life in school? Do you want to take out 150K AND lose 50K a year (potiential salary) while you are in school? Lastly do you really LOVE pharmacy? it's a very stressful career...lots of people that don't know anything about pharmacy thinks its a stress free job...but it really isn't. Do you love it? etc

These are questions you should really think about. Pharmacy school takes up a **** load of time...get ready to say good bye to your weekends for 4 years.

Good luck in all that you wish to do! read my above post for more info if you like. :)

Where does this idea that you have to put your life on hold for school come from? It's crazy. I've been with my husband for 14 years and married for 10. In that time I've earned my BA, MA and now PharmD. I've held a number of interesting jobs and been involved with a lot of stuff. We had one child during that time and are getting ready to have our second. We own a house, own two cars, take vacations, and have a pretty good life. I don't look at my time in school as time away from life because I've been LIVING my life.

I question the idea that you can't have a life and get an education at the same time. :confused:

Where does this idea that you have to put your life on hold for school come from? It's crazy. I've been with my husband for 14 years and married for 10. In that time I've earned my BA, MA and now PharmD. I've held a number of interesting jobs and been involved with a lot of stuff. We had one child during that time and are getting ready to have our second. We own a house, own two cars, take vacations, and have a pretty good life. I don't look at my time in school as time away from life because I've been LIVING my life.

I question the idea that you can't have a life and get an education at the same time. :confused:

hmmm...most likely from my parents.:laugh: They use to tell me. Don't get a boyfriend in high school b/c when you start college (college is more important than anything else in life!) you will not have time for him. Don't get a boyfriend until you have finish high school at least. They tell me perfect grades mean more than anything else on earth too...so it's best to concentrate on that and don't worry about boyfriends or relationships b/c they are a waste of time FOR RIGHT NOW. They are good to pursue AFTER school is completely over. So all my life while I am in school I did not want to pursue a serious boyfriend b/c of college. I do spend A LOT of time with schoolwork to make my grades (that's how I get good grades....I am not really that smart! lol...)! I also know it is crazy to have children while in school....I am SURE it's not EASY! So I was always recommended not to do that. I always thought I was SMART for putting these things in delay while I pursue my education and get good grades and research etc. But now that I look at people around me that have a bunch of friends, husband, children etc. I wish I have those things! :laugh: 5 years ago if I heard someone tell me this girl didn't go to college, she married her boyfriend and had children! I would think what a WASTE of life! Now, I am like well, maybe they are living comfortably and have a great life! (beats studying on a Saturday for sure! :laugh:)

Here is the moment that YOU are waiting for (I know we had some disagreements on this forum before about grades and when to have children! :laugh:) okay, I admit now grades are not very important at all. I have perfect grades, but they really are not that important. What is important is having a great husband and a child of your own and a bunch of friends that care about you and a job that you love. (OMG I can't believe I just said that...just 3 years old you would NEVER hear me say or think that! :eek:)

Here is another thing I agree with you on. Connections is whats most important! Grades are nothing compare to personal connections and those with personal connections will be the ones that land jobs in the future! that I agree with 100% (however, personal connections can be hard to come by...)

Some people do not have to delay their lifes if they know how to wisely manage their time. I guess I am not a very efficient studier OR I am just not good at picking out whats important to make a C or B. I always study everything to make an A so I always spend a lot of time studying. For the people that know how to study enough to make a C or B and how to pick out info to get an C or B or better yet if you don't need to study to get an A...then you don't have to put your life on hold! I however had put my life on hold for school all these years and it really is boring to say the least.

Congrats on being with your husband for so long! That's great! I rather have that then what I have now! I just want to start my life now and get out of school!

Well unfortunately by the time I get out of school I will be almost 29 yo...I doubt any sugardaddy would want someone as old as that! :(

I would ;)

Sure, the best advice I can give someone if they really reallllllllllly realllllllllllllllly have a passion for pharmacy is this:

The people that get jobs now are the people that have personal connections. A CONNECTION is the key. The only reason why I got a summer internship was b/c my uncle knew a higher up in the company. He told him I needed a internship and he hired me b/c he is friends with my uncle. That was the ONLY way I could have landed a job!!!!! He told me he had over 300 applications for this position but since he knew my uncle and was friends with him for over 10 years he pull my application to the top of the pile and hired me!!!! thats how you get a job now! Thats the only way you can get a job now! Take notes! Did my grades matter? no Did my research matter? no Did those groups that I joined matter? no None of that crap matters! The only thing that matters is if you know someone.

SO try to make your connections, that's about the ONLY WAY you can get a job now. It's not all doom and gloom if you have good personal connections and that is what matters. Good luck to all that is still wanting to pursue this field even after all these warnings! Good luck! :)

This has been said over and over again.

Here is another thing I agree with you on. Connections is whats most important! Grades are nothing compare to personal connections and those with personal connections will be the ones that land jobs in the future! that I agree with 100% (however, personal connections can be hard to come by...)

Some people do not have to delay their lifes if they know how to wisely manage their time. I guess I am not a very efficient studier OR I am just not good at picking out whats important to make a C or B. I always study everything to make an A so I always spend a lot of time studying. For the people that know how to study enough to make a C or B and how to pick out info to get an C or B or better yet if you don't need to study to get an A...then you don't have to put your life on hold! I however had put my life on hold for school all these years and it really is boring to say the least.

Congrats on being with your husband for so long! That's great! I rather have that then what I have now! I just want to start my life now and get out of school!

Ah yes, I was just mentioning to my wife today that I had forgotten all about Senioritis. You get to a point in school where you will do anything to just get it over with. Patience. While it might seem like a drag now, it really is much more fun than working full time.

Don't put your life on hold. I did that, it really gets lonely. In High School, I told myself that there would be time to date after I got settled in college. Once in college, I said I would wait until I graduated, then I went into grad school and waited a little longer. Once I got a job, I said I would wait until my career got on track.....

Basically, don't wait. Meet some people and get a little joy in your life. Don't compare yourself to your friends, what you see may not be what they feel. Just because it looks good, doesn't mean it is. Have you ever heard the statement
"Good from Far, but Far from Good"? Life is what happens while you are making other plans. So do a little living.

hmmm...most likely from my parents.:laugh: They use to tell me. Don't get a boyfriend in high school b/c when you start college (college is more important than anything else in life!) you will not have time for him. Don't get a boyfriend until you have finish high school at least. They tell me perfect grades mean more than anything else on earth too...so it's best to concentrate on that and don't worry about boyfriends or relationships b/c they are a waste of time FOR RIGHT NOW. They are good to pursue AFTER school is completely over. So all my life while I am in school I did not want to pursue a serious boyfriend b/c of college. I do spend A LOT of time with schoolwork to make my grades (that's how I get good grades....I am not really that smart! lol...)! I also know it is crazy to have children while in school....I am SURE it's not EASY! So I was always recommended not to do that. I always thought I was SMART for putting these things in delay while I pursue my education and get good grades and research etc. But now that I look at people around me that have a bunch of friends, husband, children etc. I wish I have those things! :laugh: 5 years ago if I heard someone tell me this girl didn't go to college, she married her boyfriend and had children! I would think what a WASTE of life! Now, I am like well, maybe they are living comfortably and have a great life! (beats studying on a Saturday for sure! :laugh:)

Here is the moment that YOU are waiting for (I know we had some disagreements on this forum before about grades and when to have children! :laugh:) okay, I admit now grades are not very important at all. I have perfect grades, but they really are not that important. What is important is having a great husband and a child of your own and a bunch of friends that care about you and a job that you love. (OMG I can't believe I just said that...just 3 years old you would NEVER hear me say or think that! :eek:)

This is an example of "First hand experience versus Authority". There are times when we can listen to elders or respected authorities and we trust their opinion will be the same for us. However, there are also instances when a first hand experience truly tells you what it means. It's a balancing act because we can never learn everything in this world.

First off, cheer up. It sounds like you realized what it takes to make you happy. Also, that education will not yield everything you expected it. Worry not, because everyday you can make friends and every man you meet could be that special someone. Don't feel like you wasted your "youth" because you focused on education. In those/these years, it was the most important thing to you, and you acted on it, instead of letting the dream linger and dissipate. Be proud of your hardwork and be prepared to put in the same hardwork to starting new relationships. Life is too short to be depressed/angry/full of regret.

Hey guess what pre-pharmers!!!??? Employers are going to start employing a "staggered" payscale system for new grads. This means that new grads are going to be started at a lower rate than everyone else. So much for making 100 k straight out of school. :laugh: Who couldn't see this coming with so many grads being pumped out!? Hmmmm :rolleyes: Like I said only go into pharmacy if $$$ is not a factor!

I will not be surprised at all if all the pre-pharmers who actually decide to go into pharmacy (despite all the warnings) now start out at 65k/year once they get out. Oh and that is IF they land a job. Good luck! :laugh:

Why must you be so negative? It sounds like you regret a lot of your decisions. It's kind of sad that you find out now when you're almost done. There's nothing wrong with working hard towards something. Sacrificing free time and you going out and party is one of things in life is it not? I don't put my life on hold for school, I enjoy school and studying while hanging out with friends and going out. I still make As and Bs.

Cheer up, sometimes I read your post it makes me depressed to see a fellow member regret so much about her life. If you don't want to do it, then quit. It's never too late. 29 years old is not old. Don't limit yourself just because you think being 29 is old and you think you can't get anywhere. That's not the way you should go about things!

Employers are going to start employing a "staggered" payscale system for new grads. This means that new grads are going to be started at a lower rate than everyone else. So much for making 100 k straight out of school. :laugh: Who couldn't see this coming with so many grads being pumped out!? Hmmmm :rolleyes: Like I said only go into pharmacy if $$$ is not a factor!

[citation needed]

Hey guess what pre-pharmers!!!??? Employers are going to start employing a "staggered" payscale system for new grads. This means that new grads are going to be started at a lower rate than everyone else. So much for making 100 k straight out of school. :laugh: Who couldn't see this coming with so many grads being pumped out!? Hmmmm :rolleyes: Like I said only go into pharmacy if $$$ is not a factor!

Oh shut up. I don't expect to make $100K right out of graduation. Not everything in life will be fed to you. Stop with all of your crap. I'm totally sick of it. If YOU really expect to make $100K out of school then you are out of your mind. Things in life you got to work hard for. I'm pretty sure people on SDN do not go to pharmacy school purely for money. I think we are better than that. Unlike you who makes assumptions and bring down other people. Stop with that. This thread isn't really helping any potential students. Your opinions are your opinions, just don't try to shove it down other people's throats.

Edit: Why are you so fed up with the fact that there might be no jobs, or there will be less pay for pharmacists/new grads anyways? It sounds to me like someone is regretting their decision for pharmacy. If you truly love pharmacy, you wouldn't speak of it in such a disgusting way.

[citation needed]

Corporate rotation: A large pharmacy employer was going to start doing it this year but decided to defer it to next year. I can't give out more details than this... You'll see with next year's grads

Oh shut up. I don't expect to make $100K right out of graduation. Not everything in life will be fed to you. Stop with all of your crap. I'm totally sick of it. If YOU really expect to make $100K out of school then you are out of your mind. Things in life you got to work hard for. I'm pretty sure people on SDN do not go to pharmacy school purely for money. I think we are better than that. Unlike you who makes assumptions and bring down other people. Stop with that. This thread isn't really helping any potential students. Your opinions are your opinions, just don't try to shove it down other people's throats.

Edit: Why are you so fed up with the fact that there might be no jobs, or there will be less pay for pharmacists/new grads anyways? It sounds to me like someone is regretting their decision for pharmacy. If you truly love pharmacy, you wouldn't speak of it in such a disgusting way.

It is very disgusting to see how many pharmacy schools there are, how many new grads are being pumped out AND how ignorant people are to how bad the situation is!

It is very disgusting to see how many pharmacy schools there are, how many new grads are being pumped out AND how ignorant people are to how bad the situation is!

There's really nothing wrong with more pharmacists. It sounds to me like someone just wants their $$$'s worth. Before criticizing others on how they are ignorant, why don't you look at yourself first? Why do you want to be a pharmacist? Because of money? You don't like that fact that there are so many pharmacy school and new grads because you don't like competition and you feel that you deserve to be paid more. So basically, you are a complainer who wants more money on his salary but can't because of how the job market is right now?

Pathetic

There's really nothing wrong with more pharmacists. It sounds to me like someone just wants their $$$'s worth. Before criticizing others on how they are ignorant, why don't you look at yourself first? Why do you want to be a pharmacist? Because of money? You don't like that fact that there are so many pharmacy school and new grads because you don't like competition and you feel that you deserve to be paid more. So basically, you are a complainer who wants more money on his salary but can't because of how the job market is right now?

Pathetic

:thumbup:

Somatic, not everyone works at inpatient or chain retail.

Poor this somatic guy. Coming here , giving prepharmers a reality check and get rotten eggs in the face. Somatic, I recommend you just leave them alone . Let people find out on their own. No matter what you say, they are not gonna believe you.

The truth is jobs ar still out there but getting more and more sacred due to several reasons: 1. Slow/halting expansion of pharmacy chains; 2. Sucky economy makes old pharmacists delaying retirement ; 3. More and more pharmacy schools opening every year. Is it hard to find a job? Well it also depends on locations, too. In saturated areas like LA, SoCal, it is very hard to obtain a full time job right now.

Anyway, the bottom line, if you are already in pharmacy schools, don't quit. Just stick too the end and you never know... It might get better. If you consider a career in pharmacy school, do your research ... A lot of it. Know what you get yourself into.

Poor this somatic guy. Coming here , giving prepharmers a reality check and get rotten eggs in the face. Somatic, I recommend you just leave them alone . Let people find out on their own. No matter what you say, they are gonna believe you.
It's much less about the information and much more about the way in which it's delivered.

Anyway, the bottom line, if you are already in pharmacy schools, don't quit. Just stick too the end and you never know... It might get better. If you consider a career in pharmacy school, do your research ... A lot of it. Know what you get yourself into.

Finally, some advice.

If you read the other threads, the doom and gloom has been discussed over and over and over again.

Good point! If I am jobless when I graduate I will be on here to b*tch about it for sure! LOL... And if I do get a job I will be on here to give people advice on how to land one! If I get a job....

When I graduated I was jobless for about a year and a half. I can almost promise you won't be.

I'm just saying don't be so quick to have one. You can have one well into your 30's and be perfectly fine. Age isn't what it used to be.

You mentioned earlier that you are making 50K a year now. R you doing what you love? Do you love pharmacy? Do you really love being single for the rest of your life? lol...

A). I love what I do but I'm struggling. DOn't want to live like that anymore
B). Do I love pharmacy not necessarily. I'll learn to love it being paid 6 figures lol
c). Hmmm being single does have its benefits. Although I can tell you I wouldn't even think of starting a family making what I make now.

If you really love your job and is making 50K a year that isn't bad at all. You can marry someone that also makes 50K a year and that's 100K family income.

This is what I'm trying to tell you, its not great. I live paycheck to paycheck and I don't have any crazy debt. I got a mortgage, car payment, a credit card or two and thats about it. You make a good point about getting married to someone who is making 50k. Let me through this scenario at you: you're working as a pharm making 100k+ lets say you meet another pharm or hell a doctor or some other health care professional making close or over 100k...now combine those incomes. All of sudden life is looking pretty good isn't it?

That isn't bad (it's guarantee income unlike pharmacy b/c you don't know if you can land a job when you get out!)

LOL!!! Beleive me you don't know what "cant get a job" is like and if you have a pharm degree you won't be in that situation unless you're doing something wrong. You have a skill that is needed. You'll find work just fine.

But the point is money isn't the biggest issue. Don't you rather start your life now and have a family? Do you really want to waste more years of your life in school? Do you want to take out 150K AND lose 50K a year (potiential salary) while you are in school? Lastly do you really LOVE pharmacy? it's a very stressful career...lots of people that don't know anything about pharmacy thinks its a stress free job...but it really isn't. Do you love it? etc

Every job is stressful. I can speak on experience cuz I've worked through my 20's while you've studied. Every job is stressful. However, you can manage your stress a lot easier if you're making good money like pharmicists do. Imagine life being stressed making 50k.

Yeah sure I'd love to start a family but it can wait. I definitely don't want to start a family making what I make now. If I'm a pharmacist making good money then yeah lets do it.

My point is you don't have to be absolutely in love with it because every job will have stress. Stress though is subjective and can be made easier with a nice paycheck.

These are questions you should really think about. Pharmacy school takes up a **** load of time...get ready to say good bye to your weekends for 4 years.

Good luck in all that you wish to do! read my above post for more info if you like. :)

Thats not that much of a sacrifice really. Its only 4 years then you have the rest of your life to enjoy them. You know how quick 4 years goes by? Heres how....when George Bush was first elected I was coming out of college. Now we are approaching Obamas potential second term. Time goes by fast.

Heh, had to giggle about Obama having a second term.

Whew, that was a good chuckle.
Well, when you look at the competition... :laugh:
Heck, even some of my Republican friends are thinking of voting for Obama this time around...

It's much less about the information and much more about the way in which it's delivered.

WORD! Couple that with the fact that he's obviously trolling since the information that he/she shared about him/herself was blatantly inaccurate and I mainly read his posts for a nice hearty chortle or, if I'm feeling frisky, a guffaw.

First of all, I don't believe you.

But even if that did happen, how would it be different than any other job in existence? I don't understand why you enjoy being so negative about pharmacy all the time.

The biggest problem is that all of these new schools have low standards and low quality students which will have a negative impact on the profession. If we had fewer schools then there would be a higher demand for pharmacists and more job security for those of us who didn't go to Assclown's (3 year) School of Pharmacy - pay 40 k+/year in tuition and get a pharmD. The whole profession is going to go to hell by having an over supply of pharmacists. Just you wait...

The biggest problem is that all of these new schools have low standards and low quality students which will have a negative impact on the profession. If we had fewer schools then there would be a higher demand for pharmacists and more job security for those of us who didn't go to Assclown's (3 year) School of Pharmacy - pay 40 k+/year in tuition and get a pharmD. The whole profession is going to go to hell by having an over supply of pharmacists. Just you wait...

Is it fun to just make stuff up? I have often thought I would be a better debater if I just said whatever I wanted without regard for facts. Care to back that statement up with some proof?

First of all, I don't believe you.

But even if that did happen, how would it be different than any other job in existence? I don't understand why you enjoy being so negative about pharmacy all the time.

I swear to god that I did a management/corporate rotation with a large company that employs pharmacists and they were originally planning to start paying new grads a lower rate this year but decided to do it next year instead. I don't make **** up. What's the point. I want people to have a REAL idea of what's going on out there.

If you really want to save the profession and have a future in pharmacy then start working on ways to close down these ridiculous schools - start petitions to shut them down, make sure people know that these schools are corrupt and just out to make a lot of money while screwing the profession over in the process, convince preceptors from these schools to refuse to precept students, write to your state board of pharmacy. Lets all work together and reduce the number of pharmacy schools. Lets stop complaining and do something for once!!! Now who's with me? Lets form a force with the intent of shutting down unneccesary pharmacy schools!!!!

Last edited:
And stop trying to make me look like the bad guy! I love the profession of pharmacy but hate the current state it's in. My intentions are to start working on reducing the numbers of pharmacy schools out there. I want to start an organization for this. Let me know if you're in. Together we can save our profession and our future!

Ok. This is on the internet. Anyone can do a google search and look it up. Why do you feel the need to come here and rub it in everyone's faces?

Because you don't believe me!!! You label me as a "troll," a "fear-mongerer" and make me look bad for exposing the truth. Trust me, even the pharmacists who have jobs are VERY uneasy. The profession is going down hill fast thanks to too many greedy schools.

Because you don't believe me!!! You label me as a "troll," a "fear-mongerer" and make me look bad for exposing the truth. Trust me, even the pharmacists who have jobs are VERY uneasy. The profession is going down hill fast thanks to too many greedy schools.

Yeah yeah. My advice to YOU. If you really wanted us to listen to you and not call you a "troll". Next time post your sources when you create a thread about it. Making a thread without a legitimate source will likely pull in a lot of people calling you names.

It is about the way you deliver your message. It is much more effective if you back yourself up FIRST before posting it. Otherwise it will make you look like a troll. (By the way isn't this one of the basic things you should already know if you went to college? Just saying)

Anyways, thanks for the read. I get that there might be too many schools right now, but what can we do? Again, people have different reasons for going to pharmacy school. Next time, have your sources available for us to see, then maybe we'll listen.

Even though pharmacy has negatives (like any job, duh), it is still WAAAAAY better off than most jobs, and in my opinion ALL jobs and that's why I can't wait to be one! I just hope any nay-sayers will find something else they TRULY love and move from pharmacy. I've been miserable over a job before and it's no way to live your life. If you're unhappy with the profession as a whole, move on AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Lifes to short to be anything but happy.

If you really love your job and is making 50K a year that isn't bad at all. You can marry someone that also makes 50K a year and that's 100K family income. That isn't bad (it's guarantee income unlike pharmacy b/c you don't know if you can land a job when you get out!) But the point is money isn't the biggest issue. Don't you rather start your life now and have a family? Do you really want to waste more years of your life in school? Do you want to take out 150K AND lose 50K a year (potiential salary) while you are in school? Lastly do you really LOVE pharmacy? it's a very stressful career...lots of people that don't know anything about pharmacy thinks its a stress free job...but it really isn't. Do you love it? etc

You're doing it wrong.

According to my old supervisor, the profession was saturated prior to expansion of the big chains and obviously the profession didn't go exactly to hell..if anything it slowly expanded. Interestingly enough I think even a pharmacy school or two might have closed around that time..I think Columbia University had a pharmacy school that they ended up closing for financial reasons...

It terms of the quality of new schools..that's debatable and we won't know until they graduate their first class..

Finally, the whole concept of purposely sustaining a false supply deficit, which in turn would guarantee every pharmd a job with a 6 figure salary and a 5 figure bonus is straight up foolish. The profession for the most part has way to much corporate influence that could easily lobby for import of foreign pharmacist. At worst, they could lobby for the creation of something along the lines of "MS in pharmacy technician".. Just look how well the long time shortage of MD's brought on..now there are MD's, DO's, NP's, PA's etc.

Do I think having a surplus of pharmacist is great for the profession? No, but I don't believe the opposite would have been any better.

Somatic, this is the internet. We don't have to believe anything you say.