This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mk_Morg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just completed my first semester back to college in hope of moving onto medical school. Being a non-traditional student, there's always been a curiosity of how someone like myself appeals to the admission committees. I'm 29 and work full-time as a firefighter/EMT assigned to the rescue/ambulance, been doing this for 8 years now. My desire has shifted into medicine, mainly due to our limited scope of practice as medics. I love helping people but want to stretch into diagnosing and treating. ED physician is my goal and that matches closely to the field I have experience in.

As for college, I attend full-time while working full-time. My GPA is climbing, overall is 3.5 and BCPM is 3.85. I completed my associate degree 3 years ago in an unrelated field and that wasn't the best demonstration of my academic ability. In this one semester back that has significantly changed. I will complete a BA in liberal arts (only degree where I can apply my associates) with a pre-health certificate. Over the next 18 months, I will have a rigorous course load of BCPM prerequisites. MCAT will be next summer/fall. On the side, I volunteer with school organizations and in the community.

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but sure everyone else on here wonders how they stack up.

Members don't see this ad.

Lookin' goooood. (seriously) Your previous experience will be quite valuable to you.

Destroy the MCAT and I think you'd be a wonderful candidate.

Thanks for your service as a firefighter/EMT! I owe my life to a group of first responders and truly believe y'all are guardian angels. I think your experiences will be a tremendous asset. You're doing great, especially considering full-time work and school. Keep it up, man! :)