DO My chances for DO school admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

go4gusto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated from UCSD - Biochemistry 3.2 sGPA and 3.16 cGPA. MCAT 25. DO shadowing experience, research experience and currently working as a research associate at a Biotech company. I have applied early to 20 DO schools. Four rejections (Western-Pomona, KCUM, AZCOM and Burrell). Submitted secondaries early. Now waiting and wondering what are my chances for DO school admission. I will appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

If you came to us earlier you probably could have saved the app fee to Western and AZCOM. Nothing to do now but wait and see how the cycle shakes out.

Are you URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you applied broadly, you'll get in.

You'll have no luck at PCOM, CCOM, the coastal Touros, or CUSOM either

Graduated from UCSD - Biochemistry 3.2 sGPA and 3.16 cGPA. MCAT 25. DO shadowing experience, research experience and currently working as a research associate at a Biotech company. I have applied early to 20 DO schools. Four rejections (Western-Pomona, KCUM, AZCOM and Burrell). Submitted secondaries early. Now waiting and wondering what are my chances for DO school admission. I will appreciate any feedback.

Is it his MCAT that's keeping him out of these schools?

Thanks for the positive feedback Goro. Looks like I just need to wait and see.

Have you looked at the Edward Via COM? Of Blacksburg, VA., Spartanburg, SC., and Auburn, AL.... I checked them out today and part of the admissions requirements page reads:

"The minimum overall GPA for acceptance is generally 3.2 in the last 120 hours. The admissions process is competitive; however, and a higher grade point average (above 3.4 in the last 120 hours) results in improved chances for acceptance. VCOM places emphasis on the last 120 credit hours and on the science and required courses when choosing between competitive applicants"

This is one of the only schools i've seen that doesn't put an emphasis on cGPA, rather the last 120 hours. I will have to call one of their counselors to confirm that..but if this indeed the case, it'd be a great school for someone who really finished strong ( I say this because i'm in that boat), but they have a poor overall gpa.

Thanks for the information related to Edward Via COM. Yes, I have applied to all three campuses and sent my secondaries on July 20th.

did you get rejected pre or post secondary from Western? I'm surprised you didn't get a better look from Western because they're know to put people on hold. Burrell had to have been post interview right?

If you applied broadly, you'll get in.

You'll have no luck at PCOM, CCOM, the coastal Touros, or CUSOM either

@Goro , could you briefly elaborate as to why he would be uncompetitive at PCOM and CUSOM. I imagine it has something to do with regional preferences for both of those schools, and maybe they have a 3.25 sGPA cutoff?

A decent number of MD schools state this as well. U UT comes to mind. I'm drawing a blank of the others.

Have you looked at the Edward Via COM? Of Blacksburg, VA., Spartanburg, SC., and Auburn, AL.... I checked them out today and part of the admissions requirements page reads:"The minimum overall GPA for acceptance is generally 3.2 in the last 120 hours. The admissions process is competitive; however, and a higher grade point average (above 3.4 in the last 120 hours) results in improved chances for acceptance. VCOM places emphasis on the last 120 credit hours and on the science and required courses when choosing between competitive applicants"

This is one of the only schools i've seen that doesn't put an emphasis on cGPA, rather the last 120 hours. I will have to call one of their counselors to confirm that..but if this indeed the case, it'd be a great school for someone who really finished strong ( I say this because i'm in that boat), but they have a poor overall gpa.

The low GPAs. I've had SDNers tell me they've been rejected at CUSOM because their cutoff was 3.2.

@Goro , could you briefly elaborate as to why he would be uncompetitive at PCOM and CUSOM. I imagine it has something to do with regional preferences for both of those schools, and maybe they have a 3.25 sGPA cutoff?

3.2 is low for DO now? I thought that was considered a decent GPA?

3.2 is definitely low for DO schools. I'm not saying it's impossible but it'll be an uphill battle getting in anywhere with that GPA unless you have something else that makes you stand out (e.g. MCAT, phenomenal extracurriculars).

I'd give it a try OP but that combination of MCAT and GPA will only give you a chance of admission at the newer and less established schools. Good luck.

@Goro, is there a difference--as far as difficulty of admissions--between PCOM and PCOM-GA. I was assuming OP was applying to both, but I just now realized he may just have applied to the one in Philly.

Also, FWIW, I had a CUSOM rep tell me bluntly that they don't have an autoscreen for GPA, and each applicant will have a set of eyes look at their app..