MY CHANCES FOR OSTEOPATHIC MEDICAL SCHOOLS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

should I also consider going to post bacc or SGU?

• Total voters

future231

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all of SDNers,

I am getting ready to apply to osteopathic medical schools this coming cycle and wanted to evaluate my chances of getting accepted. I would appreciate it if you could give your opinion on my chances. Below is my stats;

Undergrad institution: UCLA
Major: bioengineering
cGPA: 3.64 ( including the courses from community college)
sGPA: 3.45 ( 1 retake, 5 additional upper division science through ucla extension)
MCAT: 20 ( 9,5,6), 496 ( 128,120,125,123), 500 ( 128,122,126,124)

ECs: - 200 hours of volunteering at a local hospital
- 1 semester of biomedical research with no publication or anything
- 40 hours of DO shadowing ( internal medicine)
- deans honor list for one semester
- 50 hours of volunteering tutoring high school students.

I would appreciate your candid and brutally honest answers. I am a realistic person and never fear of hearing the truth.
I would also appreciate it if you could give me a list of schools that would even take a look at my application and consider me for interview.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Zero chance at a decent DO unless you bring that MCAT to 504+.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, what if I'm not looking into getting into a decent DO school. I mean is there any indecent school out there?

Are you fine with being a PCP w/ a 8/10 chance then?

However your low MCAT predicts that you will fail a bunch of classes first year.

Hello to all of SDNers,

I am getting ready to apply to osteopathic medical schools this coming cycle and wanted to evaluate my chances of getting accepted. I would appreciate it if you could give your opinion on my chances. Below is my stats;

Undergrad institution: UCLA
Major: bioengineering
cGPA: 3.64 ( including the courses from community college)
sGPA: 3.45 ( 1 retake, 5 additional upper division science through ucla extension)
MCAT: 20 ( 9,5,6), 496 ( 128,120,125,123), 500 ( 128,122,126,124)

ECs: - 200 hours of volunteering at a local hospital
- 1 semester of biomedical research with no publication or anything
- 40 hours of DO shadowing ( internal medicine)
- deans honor list for one semester
- 50 hours of volunteering tutoring high school students.

I would appreciate your candid and brutally honest answers. I am a realistic person and never fear of hearing the truth.
I would also appreciate it if you could give me a list of schools that would even take a look at my application and consider me for interview.

Thank you
Don't be too quick to buy into terrible advise that you have been given above. Your GPAs are similar to mine and I have been showered with DO interviews, actually turned down 5 so far. My sincere advise is that you have a acceptance in you GPA alone but you need to really get that MCAT up just a few points. 506 would be optimal but I would bank on an acceptance with a 504. 500 your in danger zone, and we both know its a lot of money to apply. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, KILL THE MCAT. do these things and you are golden. #blindtothemhaters

Reactions: 1 user
Don't be too quick to buy into terrible advise that you have been given above. Your GPAs are similar to mine and I have been showered with DO interviews, actually turned down 5 so far. My sincere advise is that you have a acceptance in you GPA alone but you need to really get that MCAT up just a few points. 506 would be optimal but I would bank on an acceptance with a 504. 500 your in danger zone, and we both know its a lot of money to apply. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, KILL THE MCAT. do these things and you are golden. #blindtothemhaters
Thank you for your advice. But that 500 mcat score is my best score and I dont think I will be able to raise it even one point, if I retake the MCAT again my score will probably go down. There is no way to improve on that stupid CARS section

Thank you for your advice. But that 500 mcat score is my best score and I dont think I will be able to raise it even one point, if I retake the MCAT again my score will probably go down. There is no way to improve on that stupid CARS section
Not true fam. read A LOT of books. not medical or science books or anything. Books that interest you. The summer before my MCAT I read 17 books and then read at least 1 book every month during the school year. Didnt bother with looking at any CARS tips or tricks or whatever and got a 90th percentile. The speed and comprehension follows soon after.
But I digress from your question, your GPA is better than mine (3.4, 3.2 with upward trend) but my MCAT was a 510. My cousin who has a low gpa low mcat was recently accepted to a school so it shows it is possible. Show that you are genuine and have good letter of rec and EC and you could become a doctor yet.

Seriousky recommending taking the mcat a 4th time? If i had ti take that test a SECOND time id hate my life.

Its possible to get in with a 500, the issue is it took 3 tries to get there.

Reactions: 2 users
While it's probably not the best advice to give since a cap of 500 likely means you struggle with standardized test and are at risk of failing medical school classes/the boards, I think if you apply next cycle to all the new DO schools/ones with lowest admitted MCAT you will probably get interviews. Assuming your first score has expired. Plenty of people at ACOM/the like were in the 498-499 range in the Osteopathic Underdawgs Thread.

OP, you really need to address the reading comprehension issue to be successful in medical school and life in general. You have great scores in P/S and BB so clearly your science ability is not an issue (along with your stellar GPA).

In my opinion, I think you should go through neuropsych testing for a learning disability. Hear me out. I had the exact same problem as you but it was flipped: high reading comprehension and incredibly low math/quantitative ability and was diagnosed with an LD. It can be helpful in general so that you learn skills and techniques to rectify it.

I wouldn't recommend taking the MCAT a fourth time. You will almost certainly get the same score or, worse, drop. If this happens, say goodbye to medical school.

What does "PCP w/ a 8/10 chance" mean?
They mean your score will likely get you into a school that is rural/primary care focused which tend to have lower admissions stats. So you will be more than likely geared toward a primary care pathway at one of those institutions (think WVSOM/KYCOM).

With your GPA and most recent MCAT of 500 you should be able to receive some interviews at the newer DO schools. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. These are schools where you could be interviewed with your stats:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
any new schools that open for 2018 (there will be several).

While it is true that some schools (read students) fair a bit better on the match than others the majority of all DO match lists are extremely similar. Getting into school is the priority. Where and what you match in to is directly related to how much effort you put into school and not necessarily WHERE you go to school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Get the Princeton Hyperlink book. Verbal was my strongest subject.

Trying to diagnose someone with a learning disability because they got the 25th percentile in reading comprehension instead of the 50th is seriously stretching it. The MCAT is hard, period.

MY STATS:

Major: Chemistry
cGPA: 3.63
sGPA: 3.49 (both GPA scores are not including this semesters courses which I have yet to complete.)
MCAT: 490 then a 495

What are my chances for DO? and where would my best options for application be?

MY STATS:

sGPA: 3.49 (both GPA scores are not including this semesters courses which I have yet to complete.)

Where is your state of residence? Do you have any clinical volunteering or shadowing hours? Are you URM?

MY STATS:

You really need your own thread. This one is OP's.

What does OP mean? and sorry i'm new to this site, how do i create my own thread?
On the first page of this forum, near the upper right corner is a rectangle that says "Post New Thread."

"OP" is original poster.