My chances. Low mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfmoreno

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a poor mcat of 484
Grades and experience are better :
3.5 post bacc
3.2~3.3 overall. My first year of college I had low gpa that led to academic dismissal, but have since vastly improved my grades

+3000 hours of volunteer work

Work as a behavioral therapist-+8 years

No research :/

D1 athletics

psych major- psi chi honors society

Delta epsilon iota honors society

Phi kappa psi (only one year, when I was getting god grades)

Is there any chance I can squeeze into a low tier DO or MD Program?
If chances are bleak could you recommend any MS program or decent linkage programs.
I am even considering severals Ross, SGU and AUG but am hesitant due to the limited chance of matching.
I am 29 so I 'd prefer not to take mcat again.

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t go to the Caribbean - there is no evidence you will succeed there and match whatsoever. Your MCAT will make it impossible to get into any md programs in the us and likely dos as well.

You will have to separate yourself from both of those numbers (gpa and MCAT) by at least 1-2 years of straight As and knocking the MCAT out of the park on your second attempt if you want a chance.

You have no chance for admission to a DO school with a MCAT of 484. Your only option is to retake the MCAT. Do not retake until your practice scores are consistently above 500.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even though you don't want to take the MCAT again you're going to have to if you want to go to med school. There is no chance that you can "squeeze into a low tier DO or MD program. ". And think long and hard about going off shore. You are just the kind of student many of those schools prey on. Low GPAs and an abysmal MCAT doesn't bode well for success in med school.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

No. Your score is a risk factor for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards. IF you have test taking anxiety issues, those are fixable.

If chances are bleak could you recommend any MS program or decent linkage programs.
Retake the MCAT...that's your problem. At my SMP, I'd reject outright. Some of my best students have been in their 30s and 40s.

I am even considering severals Ross, SGU and AUG but am hesitant due to the limited chance of matching.
They feast upon desperate applicants like you. Their business plan depends upon it, actually.

You need to identify the reason for these outcomes before another attempt at any high stakes exam.
484 is the 8th percentile. I presume your other score was similar?

How would you recommend doing that

I don't think US MD schools are an option anymore sorry. If you want to pursue medicine, your plan of action is to retake the MCAT and aim for 503+ (because you messed up already). Once you get a good score, target your application broadly to DO schools.

If you don't want to retake the MCAT, you should pursue a different career. Sorry.

Reactions: 2 users
What was your other MCAT? Do you know that AMCAS recommends averaging multiple MCAT scores? Some schools do and some don't but all schools see all scores.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I would take the advice of the above adcoms and DO NOT APPLY with that score. Last year there were 1440 white applicants that applied to MD with an MCAT below 487 and only 6 were accepted.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/factstablea24-4.pdf

As for DO, there were 802 applicants with a sub 488 MCAT and only 21 got in.
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-s...riculant-profile-summary-report.pdf?sfvrsn=10

You will need to take the MCAT again if you want to become a physician practicing in the US. My guess is you'll need at least a 500 for a 50/50 shot to get into DO. Good news is you have 10 months of prep time which is more than enough to get a 500. Forget taking more classes to boost your GPA, spend the majority of your free time studying for the MCAT. Buy an Exam Kracker or Kaplan set and read each book cover to cover. Sign up for question of the day apps on your phone. Start taking practice tests in January (Next Step and Exam Krackers are the best IMO).

Forget about applying this year, focus on taking your MCAT in April 2018 and applying to 20+ DO schools in May 2018. I'd even apply to a few MD schools if you are a URM or break 510+ on the MCAT. Between MCAT and GPA, MCAT is the easier of the two to fix. You're almost there, just a gap year spent solely on studying for the MCAT should get you into a DO school.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Your chances of getting into any US medical school is pretty much zero with that MCAT.

What was your other MCAT score?

The good thing is that the rest of your application is solid. You have great EC's (3000+ hours??). Your GPA is on the low side, but not terribly low, so you're good there.

You MUST retake the MCAT for a shot at a US medical school. Do not apply to the Caribbean.

As for exam prep, you must figure out what you're doing wrong. You could guess on the entire exam and receive a similar score, which is probably what you are doing. You show a severe lack of knowledge in content. Actually learn the material first before you move on to test taking strategies.

Reactions: 1 users
I am hesitant to attend a Caribbean school but will I be fine if I just want to go into primary or psych ?

What makes you think you will do well enough at a Caribbean school to even enter the match process? Have you done any reading on why Caribbean schools are such a bad idea at this point in time? If not you probably need to spend time reading threads. If so, you have the information you need to make an informed decision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I have a poor mcat of 484
Grades and experience are better :
3.5 post bacc
3.2~3.3 overall. My first year of college I had low gpa that led to academic dismissal, but have since vastly improved my grades

+3000 hours of volunteer work

Work as a behavioral therapist-+8 years

No research :/

D1 athletics

psych major- psi chi honors society

Delta epsilon iota honors society

Phi kappa psi (only one year, when I was getting god grades)

I am 29 so I 'd prefer not to take mcat again.
Hi, I have similar stats were you able to get into Ross or sgu ? Thank you