My chances of surviving pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmlov

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already got accepted to two different pharmacy schools. But right now im having second doubts. I am not smart at all but a hard worker however I don't think will be enough to survive pharmacy school. What do you guys think? Can any current students share their experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost our entire class are hard workers. Easily more than 90%. You'll be fine :thumbup:

Don't worry about being smart to be successful in pharmacy school. You just have to be able to memorize well. They aren't concerned so much about accepting smart students. They just want to know if you can pay for 4 yrs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about being smart to be successful in pharmacy school. You just have to be able to memorize well. They aren't concerned so much about accepting smart students. They just want to know if you can pay for 4 yrs.

:D Soo true!

Be sure to learn concepts, memorization is only partially useful.

You were accepted, that means you did something right in undergrad. It's better to try, rather than giving up before it even starts. You WILL study more than undergrad.

If you are smart enough to get accepted, then you will be smart enough (although it will take hard work) to pass. Even with all the new schools, I'm pretty sure that schools don't accept people that don't have the scores/GPA/background to indicate they are capable of the work.

I kind of have that same fear. It will be competitive, people who get into pharmacy/medicine/dentistry are the real gunners from undergrad. You just have to hang in there and not worry about your gpa - just worry about meeting the minimum gpa requirements. this is what I hear from my friends in pharmacy school.You can then start to worry about achieving a high gpa but only if you've had an easy time with meeting the min gpa (obviously).

One solution - go to the "easiest" or least prestigious school you get into, and that way you'll be the smart kid there. If you go to the hardest school you get into you'll suffer a little more. Someone told me to do this for undergrad, I didn't listen, and I kinda regret it now. This isn't the best, most dignified advice but it works. lol

I'm smart but it takes a lot of work for me to understand stuff. You can do it! Plus, you'd never know unless you try, and then you'd always be second guessing yourself. I wouldn't want to live with that.

Let the gunners "take each other out" (read: make each otherslives hell). do your own thing. Go to class, pay attention, and get 'er done. Repetition is key. put your energy where it counts most.

I kind of have that same fear. It will be competitive, people who get into pharmacy/medicine/dentistry are the real gunners from undergrad. You just have to hang in there and not worry about your gpa - just worry about meeting the minimum gpa requirements. this is what I hear from my friends in pharmacy school.You can then start to worry about achieving a high gpa but only if you've had an easy time with meeting the min gpa (obviously).

One solution - go to the "easiest" or least prestigious school you get into, and that way you'll be the smart kid there. If you go to the hardest school you get into you'll suffer a little more. Someone told me to do this for undergrad, I didn't listen, and I kinda regret it now. This isn't the best, most dignified advice but it works. lol

Hmm.. you mentioned about going to a school that is least prestigious... So should I go to a candidate accredited school or one that is fully accredited (in which I am accepted to two different schools that are fully and candidate status)? I am so paranoid that if I attend a fully accredited school that my chances of dropping out is higher than compared to a school that is currently seeking accreditation. The candidate school will hopefully treat their students with more care since they need the first batch of students to graduate. I’m sorry if this sounds like I am trying to take the easy way out but I just want a second opinion on this What do you guys think?

If you are smart enough to get accepted, then you will be smart enough (although it will take hard work) to pass. Even with all the new schools, I'm pretty sure that schools don't accept people that don't have the scores/GPA/background to indicate they are capable of the work.

I understand what your saying and I have thought about that myself that if i am smart enough to get accepted then I would be capable of handling pharmacy school. However, I know many friends and there friends dropping out of pharmacy school so that is why im second guessing myself right now. I don't want to end up like them and dropping out of pharmacy school along with unwanted debt? :eek:

What do you guys think?

I'm smart but it takes a lot of work for me to understand stuff. You can do it! Plus, you'd never know unless you try, and then you'd always be second guessing yourself. I wouldn't want to live with that.

Can you please give me a few advice on how to handle the work load? Or possible studying tips you can share? Thanks

Hmm.. you mentioned about going to a school that is least prestigious... So should I go to a candidate accredited school or one that is fully accredited (in which I am accepted to two different schools that are fully and candidate status)? I am so paranoid that if I attend a fully accredited school that my chances of dropping out is higher than compared to a school that is currently seeking accreditation. The candidate school will hopefully treat their students with more care since they need the first batch of students to graduate. I’m sorry if this sounds like I am trying to take the easy way out but I just want a second opinion on this What do you guys think?

No don't go to a non-accredited school or whatever a "candidate accredited school" is (sorry not familiar with that status) but it doesn't sound good. You want to go somewhere decent where you will find a job later. Sounds like you're pretty paranoid, you got into two schools, can you go to the school that is easier? What was your gpa in undergrad? What is causing you to think you are not capable enough? I think the best thing to do is keep it really lowkey first year, not join clubs or find an internship, and just focus 100% on school. Atleast the first semester til you get a vibe of how the academics are.

The only other reason I can think of why you might be getting scared - are you starting to think pharmacy is not really what you want, so you're looking for reasons not to go? If not then nevermind

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the "unsolicited advice for incoming student" thread created by owlegrad. I'm not technologically adept enough to link it for you when I'm on my iPad. Anyways.... He makes a really good point about NOT COMPARING YOURSELF YOU EVERYONE ELSE in pharmacy school. You will be much happier if you focus on your own success and not everyone else's. What YOU do with YOUR education is what matters. Knowledge > GPA. That being said, don't go to an "easier" school just because of that. You want the best education for your money, don't you? I would :)

Like others have said, if you got into the school in the first place you can probably do the work just fine. Once the schools get you in they want you to stay. Whether they want you to survive because they want you to succeed as a pharmacist, they don't want to lose your tuition money, or they want to keep their stats up, they want you to do well regardless and most schools provide the resources to do so. Well-established schools will probably have better resources overall, but that's not to say that all do or that newly accredited schools do not. If you're torn between the two schools and are concerned about succeeding, call them and ask what resources they can provide you to facilitate your learning. Make them sell you the school, because you will be paying a lot of money to go there.

Sorry if this was respective... I didn't read all of the posts.

If the only thing holding you back is that you're ot sure if you'll succeed in school, i say let go of that and go for it! If you are having questions about if you want to spend the rest of your life as a pharmacist, then take the time to think it through. I wish you the best of luck!

No don't go to a non-accredited school or whatever a "candidate accredited school" is (sorry not familiar with that status) but it doesn't sound good. You want to go somewhere decent where you will find a job later. Sounds like you're pretty paranoid, you got into two schools, can you go to the school that is easier? What was your gpa in undergrad? What is causing you to think you are not capable enough? I think the best thing to do is keep it really lowkey first year, not join clubs or find an internship, and just focus 100% on school. Atleast the first semester til you get a vibe of how the academics are.

The only other reason I can think of why you might be getting scared - are you starting to think pharmacy is not really what you want, so you're looking for reasons not to go? If not then nevermind

A candidate school just means that the school is new and doesn't have a graduating class yet after their first class graduates then they can be fully accredited. Yes, I got into two schools and not sure which ones is easier. My gpa as an undergrad is 3.3. I guess its the stories that I hear from my friends that drop out or know someone else that dropped out. I always think that i am no different than them and what makes me so special to think i can do better. Btw, I have really bad time managing skills. Yes, I don't plan to join any clubs, get a job, or even have a social life for that matter.

Also, you certainly are right. I probably don't think pharmacy is right for me; however, at the same time I can't imagine doing any other job that I would be satisfied with. I never want to do research. So, I guess pharmacy is the closest thing that I can even imagine doing. I hate to give excuses but im just worried about the debt that i would be in if I somehow can't handle or manage pharmacy school and the school would kick me out. :eek:

Also, you certainly are right. I probably don't think pharmacy is right for me; however, at the same time I can't imagine doing any other job that I would be satisfied with. I never want to do research. So, I guess pharmacy is the closest thing that I can even imagine doing. I hate to give excuses but im just worried about the debt that i would be in if I somehow can't handle or manage pharmacy school and the school would kick me out. :eek:

If you're going into it cuz you don't have another plan or idea, you might end up regretting your decision because of the amount of money you have to take out and the amount of time you invest into the degree. Also, if you discover you don't like pharmacy when you intern or get your first real job as a pharmacist, you're gonna feel stuck b/c you'll have loans to pay off and not be able to hop to another career. It's ok to go into some careers with uncertainty if those career choices have little or no cost, time-wise and money-wise, but with something as expensive and time consuming as pharmacy....I think you should be sure.

Check out the "unsolicited advice for incoming student" thread created by owlegrad. I'm not technologically adept enough to link it for you when I'm on my iPad. Anyways.... He makes a really good point about NOT COMPARING YOURSELF YOU EVERYONE ELSE in pharmacy school. You will be much happier if you focus on your own success and not everyone else's. What YOU do with YOUR education is what matters. Knowledge > GPA. That being said, don't go to an "easier" school just because of that. You want the best education for your money, don't you? I would :)

Like others have said, if you got into the school in the first place you can probably do the work just fine. Once the schools get you in they want you to stay. Whether they want you to survive because they want you to succeed as a pharmacist, they don't want to lose your tuition money, or they want to keep their stats up, they want you to do well regardless and most schools provide the resources to do so. Well-established schools will probably have better resources overall, but that's not to say that all do or that newly accredited schools do not. If you're torn between the two schools and are concerned about succeeding, call them and ask what resources they can provide you to facilitate your learning. Make them sell you the school, because you will be paying a lot of money to go there.

Sorry if this was respective... I didn't read all of the posts.

If the only thing holding you back is that you're ot sure if you'll succeed in school, i say let go of that and go for it! If you are having questions about if you want to spend the rest of your life as a pharmacist, then take the time to think it through. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks for the advice. I have a great tendency and habit of always comparing myself to other people. Regarding calling the school about the resources they offer, I think it is still hard to judge the quality of the resources they offer and if it would really help me. Maybe I'm just insecure. Thanks, I will def still go for it to see if I can do it. I'm scared that if I make it through my P1 year, I might not make it through my P2 year??? :(

If you're going into it cuz you don't have another plan or idea, you might end up regretting your decision because of the amount of money you have to take out and the amount of time you invest into the degree. Also, if you discover you don't like pharmacy when you intern or get your first real job as a pharmacist, you're gonna feel stuck b/c you'll have loans to pay off and not be able to hop to another career. It's ok to go into some careers with uncertainty if those career choices have little or no cost, time-wise and money-wise, but with something as expensive and time consuming as pharmacy....I think you should be sure.

Yes, I know what you are saying. I still till this day do not know what I want to do as a career. :eek: I do have some experience working in a pharmacy and I do like the work environment but I don't love it. I dont know... im really lost at this point. However, once I start my first year I don't plan to drop out even if I realize I don't really like pharmacy just because of the money I already wasted on it and whatnot. Any advice on this?

Yes, I know what you are saying. I still till this day do not know what I want to do as a career. :eek: I do have some experience working in a pharmacy and I do like the work environment but I don't love it. I dont know... im really lost at this point. However, once I start my first year I don't plan to drop out even if I realize I don't really like pharmacy just because of the money I already wasted on it and whatnot. Any advice on this?

If you don't think pharmacy is the right choice for you, get out now. The investment at this point in your education is already a gamble. The job market is closing fast and there are no signs of recovery in the near future. Reimbursement rates are dropping and more schools are opening. Markets are saturated. The days of sign-on bonuses ended a couple years ago. At this point, if you weren't dead set on pharmacy and would accept nothing else, walk away. If you don't think it's for you, you'll end up putting a pistol in your mouth a few years down the road.

Don't do it. It's nooooot worth it. I know the feeling of "eh whatever I'll give it a try" - it's the feeling of being young, because you have that subconscious tendency to think that you can do whatever you want later, and change your mind later. You're not going to be young forever and by the time you reach a certain age, you're going to feel very stuck and hate yourself. Take your time to figure out what you really want to do. You might be thinking, I"m going to make so little money at whatever job I get my hands on now...well, whatever that may be, it's going to be more than the negative income of pharmacy school!

Don't do it. It's nooooot worth it. I know the feeling of "eh whatever I'll give it a try" - it's the feeling of being young, because you have that subconscious tendency to think that you can do whatever you want later, and change your mind later. You're not going to be young forever and by the time you reach a certain age, you're going to feel very stuck and hate yourself. Take your time to figure out what you really want to do. You might be thinking, I"m going to make so little money at whatever job I get my hands on now...well, whatever that may be, it's going to be more than the negative income of pharmacy school!

That is exactly how I feel. I feel like if I don't do pharmacy then the job then I am going to end up with a low paying job. I won't settle for a low paying job. Don't get me wrong, its not all about the money. I personally don't want to do any job that I am currently majoring in which is Biochemistry. I still don't know what I want to do and pharmacy seems like the one I've been sticking to throughout my undergrad years so I guess I'll do that? I understand that I won't be young forever and I really want a stable job that I can kept at for the rest of my life. Because it seems like the job that I am going to get now won't be stable in the long run. I don't know. I'm confused.:(

If you don't think pharmacy is the right choice for you, get out now. The investment at this point in your education is already a gamble. The job market is closing fast and there are no signs of recovery in the near future. Reimbursement rates are dropping and more schools are opening. Markets are saturated. The days of sign-on bonuses ended a couple years ago. At this point, if you weren't dead set on pharmacy and would accept nothing else, walk away. If you don't think it's for you, you'll end up putting a pistol in your mouth a few years down the road.

Even if pharmacy isn't really my true "passion" I don't mind doing it for the rest of my life. Like I said before, I am really looking for a stable job and it seems like whatever job i'll get now it won't last long and I will be dissatisfied in the long run. Any advice one this?

Even if pharmacy isn't really my true "passion" I don't mind doing it for the rest of my life. Like I said before, I am really looking for a stable job and it seems like whatever job i'll get now it won't last long and I will be dissatisfied in the long run. Any advice one this?

In talking with a lot of recent grads, they had this sort of regret in their statements about decisions for pharmacy school. Not sure if they were once in your boat too, but I'd really do something that you are passionate about... after all, you are spending the remainder of your future doing that line of work.

I didn't think about pharmacy till my 3rd year but I was not sure about it. I didn't want the debt and 4 years of my life wasted on something I wasn't sure about. I knew I wouldn't do well anyway in pharm school with that mindset. So I took some time off from school to explore, work, and learn more about myself and other opportunities. Took me two years after college to realize pharmacy is the field for me. Now I have this motivation and drive to succeed at all cost in pharm school, even after knowing a gloomy job prospect. I embrace the challenge. I can't give u good advice without knowing more about ur background.

But if u can get in, u can succeed. Don't go for 'easier' school. Go for the quality and the one that fits u best. Time, stress management and regular studying are keys to success. You have all the skills u need, learn to master them. Many resources available online.

Lastly, u need to work on ur passion for pharmacy. If u have that, everything will take care itself. U will feel more focused, motivated and driven to succeed. Hard work and intelligence are like byproducts of this, somewhat. Who cares if other people drop out? Many people go in pharm for wrong reasons and realize it later. If that's u, then take some time off before you decide. What's the rush? P-school will there when ur ready. U have a lifetime to practice it...so be safe than sorry.

Sent from my PC36100

hey, it pays around 100k and it's not a labor intensive job... while there are better jobs out there, pharmacists have it pretty good.

but like everything in life, there's always a risk. Right now I can say that the notion of "school accepting students because they have the capacity" is no longer true, these schools kindda have to fill up the seat, at the same time, I've noticed the quality of the students getting accepted is slightly lower than before (judging from my group of friends, I know quite a few people in pharmacy school right now).

I'm not a pharmacy students, this is just from my overall observation, I know people who 3-4 years ago wouldn't even get in a school out of state, now they're getting into school in CA, and even though my sample size is small, the trend is pretty obvious from what I see.

Job market wise, pharmacists is still doing fine right now IMO, the economy is hitting on every one, what I can't tell you is how well they will do 4 years from now. So it's your risk to take, just account in the loans that you have to take out and make your move, the truth is no one really knows, 4 years from now there might be another rush for pharmacist and you'll rack in 200-300k a year, who knows.

I didn't think about pharmacy till my 3rd year but I was not sure about it. I didn't want the debt and 4 years of my life wasted on something I wasn't sure about. I knew I wouldn't do well anyway in pharm school with that mindset. So I took some time off from school to explore, work, and learn more about myself and other opportunities. Took me two years after college to realize pharmacy is the field for me. Now I have this motivation and drive to succeed at all cost in pharm school, even after knowing a gloomy job prospect. I embrace the challenge. I can't give u good advice without knowing more about ur background.

But if u can get in, u can succeed. Don't go for 'easier' school. Go for the quality and the one that fits u best. Time, stress management and regular studying are keys to success. You have all the skills u need, learn to master them. Many resources available online.

Lastly, u need to work on ur passion for pharmacy. If u have that, everything will take care itself. U will feel more focused, motivated and driven to succeed. Hard work and intelligence are like byproducts of this, somewhat. Who cares if other people drop out? Many people go in pharm for wrong reasons and realize it later. If that's u, then take some time off before you decide. What's the rush? P-school will there when ur ready. U have a lifetime to practice it...so be safe than sorry.

Sent from my PC36100

I understand what your saying and I have been told by many people to do that same. Taking time off to work and explore what I would like to do. However, my biggest fear is that some pharmacy schools won't accept students whose preqs are older than 5-6 years. I afraid that if I do take the time off, I will no longer have the preqs to apply. Additionally, I am already in my super senior year in undergrad. I feel like time is slowly whining down.

Btw I know this sounds like a bad excuse but I have a really BAD time managing skills. As an undergrad, I only take 12-14 credits max because I can't handle all these classes at one time. I barely had time to sleep with only 12 credit classes in undergrad so I am extremely worried that I will suffer with the 18+ credits in pharmacy school. I literly stayed an extra year in my undergrad just so I can space out all my preqs evenly and get better grades. I remember for the semester that I took orgo chem, it was my ONLY science course and all the other courses were non-science.math related. I got a good orgo grade but I stayed behind. What do you think? Am I cut out for pharmacy school?

Some schools don't have this 5-7 year limit. I don't know how many out there, but I think there are plenty if ur not tied down to specific locations. If that's ur only concern, u should look into that.

How hard u worked in undergrad? Did u study ur butt off, put in over 100% of time and energy to study and still struggled? If that's the case, u have a serious chance of failing pschool. It's a lot harder. Since job market is highly competitive, grades are not the only thing u should worry about if ur planning to get a residency or finding a good job. If time management is ur downfall, what r u doing to address the problem in order to improve that skill? Let me remind u that it's like any other skills such as communication and public speaking, it can be developed, improved, and mastered. Quick fix is pick up a book on that subject in the library and incorporate the lessons into ur daily life. There are several good threads on here with study tips. I'm on my phone, so can't provide u links. Use ur research skill. But to work like hell, to end with a job u don't enjoy isn't going to keep u motivated in the long run.

You need to be serious in pschool. Five of my friends classmates got held back a year for failing a class, falling below 90% first semester at a state school. I also work with somebody who I think failed out of pschool. Can u make it? I think so. But be ready to work like ur life depends on it. Tape ur butt to ur body so it won't keep falling off from ur mad studying :D

I understand what your saying and I have been told by many people to do that same. Taking time off to work and explore what I would like to do. However, my biggest fear is that some pharmacy schools won't accept students whose preqs are older than 5-6 years. I afraid that if I do take the time off, I will no longer have the preqs to apply. Additionally, I am already in my super senior year in undergrad. I feel like time is slowly whining down.

Btw I know this sounds like a bad excuse but I have a really BAD time managing skills. As an undergrad, I only take 12-14 credits max because I can't handle all these classes at one time. I barely had time to sleep with only 12 credit classes in undergrad so I am extremely worried that I will suffer with the 18+ credits in pharmacy school. I literly stayed an extra year in my undergrad just so I can space out all my preqs evenly and get better grades. I remember for the semester that I took orgo chem, it was my ONLY science course and all the other courses were non-science.math related. I got a good orgo grade but I stayed behind. What do you think? Am I cut out for pharmacy school?

Sent from my PC36100