My Friends Are Gunners..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have lost 10 out of the original 126 over the past 4 years.

We've lost quite a few as well (think around 6). I know of 3 that took medical leaves and are currently in V'17. Supposedly two others are coming back in the spring and I know one that left for good.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We haven't lost anyone and I don't think anyone has been on academic probation. Compared to other years at AVC this is unusual; usually 1 or 2 leave for various reasons.

In our class:
1st year:
- 1 failed and joined class of 2016
- 1 failed and left entirely (there were medical issues involved)
2nd year:
- 1 left because she realized it just wasn't what she wanted
3rd year:
- No losses yet

We have had a few losses, some to the year below and some dropped out completely; decided to do something else.

I want to say it was about 6 or 7 from our first year.

Huh. We had two people defer right away (within the first two weeks) first year for 'life circumstance' type of stuff. They both came back the next year. We haven't lost anyone academically yet from our original class. We have gained ... at least 4 people, I think, from the class ahead of us.

One person was lost in the class ahead due to grades, but that's it so far for the entire school.....seeing as I'm the sixth class of 30 though, the sample pool isn't that big.

We lost 2 during our first semester for non grade related issues. We got an email recently about having to rearrange our mailboxes to keep them in alphabetical order so I assume we lost at least one after finals. :/

don't really care about a grade

going for internship and residency in fairly competitive field

living on the edge.

dont hate.

Reactions: 2 users
srsly tho there are some people in my class who I thought would be jerks in clinics who would throw you under the bus and they turned out to be awesome and there are other people who are definitely under-the-bus-throwers and sometimes I think things about those people that are Not Very Nice but then I realize it must really suck to be them if their whole sense of fulfillment and all of their cares are wrapped up in whether some attending thinks they have a pretty mouth or whatnot. must be sad.

Reactions: 2 users
don't really care about a grade

going for internship and residency in fairly competitive field

living on the edge.

dont hate.

hC0C6335D

Reactions: 1 user
The thing is it doesn't matter if it is unfair or not, it happens. No one is saying we agree that all 4.0 students are antisocial or have communication problems. We are saying that there is a stereotype that employers seem to believe. Also, the people that put their GPA on their resumes seem to be the ones that are showing off. Recruiters, employers, and experts in the field recommend not putting your GPA on your CV/resume

You're supposed to show off on a resume - that's the whole idea behind one - it's supposed to be a list of your accomplishments. I'm in my 50's and have never been told to not put my GPA on a resume (and I never had a problem getting a job either). Are you supposed to ignore making the Dean's List or getting merit-based scholarships too? What about being elected to Phi Zeta (the Honor Society of Vet Med)? Why have a resume at all then - just walk in and hand them your diploma and a list of references. Oh wait, your diploma might have the fact that you graduated with honors on it. God forbid a potential employer sees that. As for a high GPA being linked to communication problems, that is total bunk. There's more to most people than their GPA, but people who work hard enough to get a high one shouldn't be made to be so ashamed of it that they leave it off their resume. I think most of this thread quite frankly qualifies as bullying and I think it's quite sad to find such behavior among so-called professional students.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're supposed to show off on a resume - that's the whole idea behind one - it's supposed to be a list of your accomplishments. I'm in my 50's and have never been told to not put my GPA on a resume (and I never had a problem getting a job either). Are you supposed to ignore making the Dean's List or getting merit-based scholarships too? What about being elected to Phi Zeta (the Honor Society of Vet Med)? Why have a resume at all then - just walk in and hand them your diploma and a list of references. Oh wait, your diploma might have the fact that you graduated with honors on it. God forbid a potential employer sees that. As for a high GPA being linked to communication problems, that is total bunk. There's more to most people than their GPA, but people who work hard enough to get a high one shouldn't be made to be so ashamed of it that they leave it off their resume. I think most of this thread quite frankly qualifies as bullying and I think it's quite sad to find such behavior among so-called professional students.
No, you can show off Dean's list and such. But showing off your GPA sends the wrong message according to pretty much ALL the experts in the field. This isn't about my opinion. It is about the opinion of those in charge of hiring. You are showing off to them, so you have to cater to them.

I already said it doesn't matter if it is bunk or unfair, it's how the world perceives it.

As for a high GPA being linked to communication problems, that is total bunk. There's more to most people than their GPA, but people who work hard enough to get a high one shouldn't be made to be so ashamed of it that they leave it off their resume. I think most of this thread quite frankly qualifies as bullying and I think it's quite sad to find such behavior among so-called professional students.

Dyachei isn't necessarily saying she feels this way, she's saying this is her experience. Seeing as she's a veterinarian with a job and probably interviewed at a few places, I imagine it's valuable information to make note of, regardless of our opinions of the evaluation process. (And yes, I see that you're listed as a vet as well. Maybe those in charge of hiring are moving away from GPAs on resumes in the time since you interviewed and when dyachei interviewed.)

Where is this coming from? I don't see any bullying here, and a lot of people with these opinions are high achievers.

I have almost never seen a GPA on a resume in 25 years of hiring. Honors yes, other achievements, yes. But if I wanted someone's GPA, I would get their transcript (and I usually did anyway). The only people who I remember putting a GPA on were 4.0 students and I did think it was kind of weird. It is just not a generally accepted practice. Maybe somebody should have told you?

(And yes, I see that you're listed as a vet as well. Maybe those in charge of hiring are moving away from GPAs on resumes in the time since you interviewed and when dyachei interviewed.)
This old fart remembers specifically being told not to do that by career placement when I graduated in the dark days.

This old fart remembers specifically being told not to do that by career placement when I graduated in the dark days.
the reasoning I have been told is we're all vets and have passed the NAVLE. There's no need for a GPA on a CV/resume unless you are applying to academic institutions/interships. If you don't include a GPA, they can always ask for it. If you do, it doesn't always have a bearing on how good of a hire you are. It can only hurt you to include it, so why chance it?

Does the not including the GPA rule apply when veterinary students are applying to summer jobs/internships?

I sure wouldn't include it (whether I had a 4.0, a 2.0, or something in between) unless it was specifically requested, but YMMV.

Does the not including the GPA rule apply when veterinary students are applying to summer jobs/internships?
There was no GPA on the sample resume I got from the business instructor at my vet school, so I'm not including it on my resume.

I've been told to never put my GPA on a resume unless specifically instructed to do so. The gray area comes when the job description says something like "A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required" but they don't tell you whether they want your transcripts or if you should mention it in your resume or whatever. I usually choose to work it into my cover letter because that seems less obtrusive to me than slapping it at the top of my resume, but it's really up to you how you handle that situation.