This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OptoMra

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was searching for interview threads and I was thinking that threads like "Class of 2024" are really helpful. You just can go there and find much information from different students, and also share your information with others, therefore enriching the body of the thread more and more.
But interview comments are on different threads and it may take time to find what you are looking for.

Let's share your experience about your interview with ICO on this page, to have organized information which can be helpful for us and future pre-optometry students.

OAT Scores:
GPA:
Date OptomCAS verified:
ICO Interviews extended/date:
ICO Interviews accepted:
ICO Acceptance/date:
Explain your interview with ICO:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is there a general ICO Class of 2024 group/thread created anywhere yet?

Is there a general ICO Class of 2024 group/thread created anywhere yet?
To be honest I didn't find something like that. That is why I created this one. I hoped anybody who have some experiences about ICO share them here, But unfortunately nothing yet:shrug:
Are you applying for the ICO?

Members don't see this ad :)
OAT Scores: 380 AA, 390 TS
GPA: 3.84 cumulative, 3.77 overall science
Date OptomCAS verified: 7/25/19
ICO Interviews extended/date: 8/22/19
ICO Interviews accepted: 9/27/19
ICO Acceptance/date:
My interview day at ICO wasn't as stressful as I thought it would be; in fact, my interview was the most casual interview that I've had out of my other interview at AZCOPT and SCCO. Also, there is no impromptu essay that you have to write like in previous years so don't worry about it! Here's a breakdown of how the day went:

1.) Candidate File Review: This is when a member of the Admissions committee talked to us one-on-one about our application. We went over any prerequisite classes I still needed to take, whether or not I was obtaining a Bachelor's degree, and OAT scores. Be prepared to talk about any discrepancies in grades or OAT scores.
2.) Financial Aid and Career Services: The next two hours consisted of the financial aid advisor and the career services advisor talking about what they do at ICO, how to fund for optometry school, preparing for a job after graduation, etc.
3.) ICO Tour: Two third-year students gave us a tour of the lecture hall, RC, and clinic, which are all within a 5-minute walking distance from each other!
4.) Lunch with ICO students: We had lunch with two first-year students and we could ask questions about their experience at ICO.
5.) Interview: I was the first person in the group to have my interview, so I was definitely nervous. However, once my interviewer and I started talking, it was super casual. The interview is open file so the interviewer had my application in front of her. The interview was very much like a conversation with the general questions like "Why optometry?" "Why ICO?" "What was your journey in discovering optometry?" She also asked me how I studied for the OAT and why I chose my major. We talked about our hobbies and our family and it was great! The interview lasted for about 50 minutes, but it felt so much shorter than that because of how much I was enjoying myself. My interviewer made it seem like she just wanted to know more about who I was as a person rather than grilling me with questions. This was just my experience, so I'm not sure how the other interviewers are like. My advice to all of you applying is to just be yourself and don't stress about it too much. Everyone is really nice and are just trying to get to know you better. Make sure that you have questions to ask because you don't want to keep your interviewer hanging!

Good luck everyone! And if you have any additional questions, don't be afraid to ask me!

OAT Scores: 380 AA, 390 TS
GPA: 3.84 cumulative, 3.77 overall science
Date OptomCAS verified: 7/25/19
ICO Interviews extended/date: 8/22/19
ICO Interviews accepted: 9/27/19
ICO Acceptance/date:
My interview day at ICO wasn't as stressful as I thought it would be; in fact, my interview was the most casual interview that I've had out of my other interview at AZCOPT and SCCO. Also, there is no impromptu essay that you have to write like in previous years so don't worry about it! Here's a breakdown of how the day went:

1.) Candidate File Review: This is when a member of the Admissions committee talked to us one-on-one about our application. We went over any prerequisite classes I still needed to take, whether or not I was obtaining a Bachelor's degree, and OAT scores. Be prepared to talk about any discrepancies in grades or OAT scores.
2.) Financial Aid and Career Services: The next two hours consisted of the financial aid advisor and the career services advisor talking about what they do at ICO, how to fund for optometry school, preparing for a job after graduation, etc.
3.) ICO Tour: Two third-year students gave us a tour of the lecture hall, RC, and clinic, which are all within a 5-minute walking distance from each other!
4.) Lunch with ICO students: We had lunch with two first-year students and we could ask questions about their experience at ICO.
5.) Interview: I was the first person in the group to have my interview, so I was definitely nervous. However, once my interviewer and I started talking, it was super casual. The interview is open file so the interviewer had my application in front of her. The interview was very much like a conversation with the general questions like "Why optometry?" "Why ICO?" "What was your journey in discovering optometry?" She also asked me how I studied for the OAT and why I chose my major. We talked about our hobbies and our family and it was great! The interview lasted for about 50 minutes, but it felt so much shorter than that because of how much I was enjoying myself. My interviewer made it seem like she just wanted to know more about who I was as a person rather than grilling me with questions. This was just my experience, so I'm not sure how the other interviewers are like. My advice to all of you applying is to just be yourself and don't stress about it too much. Everyone is really nice and are just trying to get to know you better. Make sure that you have questions to ask because you don't want to keep your interviewer hanging!

Good luck everyone! And if you have any additional questions, don't be afraid to ask me!
Have you picked a school?

OAT Scores: 390/340
GPA: 3.57
Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/08/19
Date verified: 09/11/19
ICO Interviews extended/date: 09/12
ICO Interviews accepted: 10/15
ICO Acceptance/date: 11/05
Explain your interview with ICO: I believe the process of the interview day is the same for everybody. However, the interview part of it which is conducted by a faculty member or an admission staff can be different and variable from person to person depending on your application and your interviewer. My experience was pretty good, as most of us usually get nervous about an interview, I was nervous too. However, as soon as we started talking I felt really relieved and it was just like I'm talking to a professional about my experiences and how I picked optometry. It was very conversational. Do not be too much stressed out about it. Just know your application, what you did before and why you want to be an optometrist. In my opinion, they are there just to know you as an individual, not to ask difficult questions that you are not able to answer!

Last edited:
OAT Scores: 320AA/310TS
GPA: 3.08
Date OptomCAS verified: November 7th
ICO Interviews extended/date: November 12th
ICO Interviews accepted: December 9th
ICO Acceptance/date: Waiting

Honestly, this was my first interview and I really loved the school but am anxious in interviews so I am very nervous and I hope it does not show in the interview outcome. I've been working in eyecare for about nine years as an eyewear consultant/sales associate, optometric technician, and eyeglass lab technician. I really love the field and want to keep pushing forward. I have my bachelors in biological science from Florida State University. I regret to say I did have a misdemeanor DUI two years ago which was a one time incident and is not reflective of my ability to perform as prospective doctor. Patient care has been my life and I want to continue moving forward now that I have done all these positions.

Has anyone met anyone who has been accepted into ICO with similar credentials to me? I felt I was very professional in the interview but stumbled a little bit in saying some things but if you saw the way I interact with patients, I make them feel very comfortable.

Reactions: 1 user