My NCSU visit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armymutt25A

Cranky VSST OIC
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I was home for a couple weeks, I went up to NCSU to talk with the director of student services. It seems that my GPA is more dismal than I originally thought. They take into account everything you've done past high school, not just undergrad. We talked about options, some good and workable, some great, but not viable. Does anyone remember what the business course the NCSU used to require was called? While going back to school full time is not an option, night school is a good solution. I think for this cycle, my best option would be to do well on the GRE and maybe take a business class. An A would serve to dilute some of the damage my grad school year did.

Overall, I liked what little of the school that I saw. The only thing that seemed out of place was a group of lockers along the hallway - like high school. I don't know what year students were getting prepped for class - I saw coveralls and rubber boots. The window into an operating room was pretty neat - didn't have time to watch. Hopefully I can make it to an info session in July.

Members don't see this ad.

BUS 225 - Personal Finance. Or at least, that's the course I took to satisfy the requirement. When I took it, they offered it as a once a week class (3 hours though). The teacher was nice, and the class was fairly helpful (assuming you've never done your own finances much). An A is definitely obtainable.

I know comm 101 and comm 102 also fufilled the 6 credits of the business requirement. I took comm 101 and then a commerce law class, which also fufilled the requirement. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
BUS 225 - Personal Finance. Or at least, that's the course I took to satisfy the requirement. When I took it, they offered it as a once a week class (3 hours though). The teacher was nice, and the class was fairly helpful (assuming you've never done your own finances much). An A is definitely obtainable.

This. I took this class spring semester of last year (as a post-bacc student) on Monday nights from 6-9pm. Great class, super helpful, easy A+ if you were willing to memorize the night before the test and attend class. I really enjoyed the professor as well - we did a stock project and she allowed us to choose our company - any publicly traded company. I chose PetSmart before seeing that VCA/Antech was an option. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I also took Interpersonal Communications during summer school several years ago. Also a thumbs up from me - easy, easy, but less helpful than the above class. We spent several class periods watching Office Space, haha. :)

You can also take micro- and macroeconomics to fulfill the requirement for NCState. Easy A's for both. They are usually 1000 level classes.

Also, since your pre-req GPA counts as a separate category, it might do you even more good to take a different class that will fill a pre-req requirement - like taking another English composition class, for example, or a different biology class. It's really a numbers game with them. :)

If you have the option, I found that I had better professors in my summer school classes than the classes I took as a post-bacc during the regular school year. The classes were a TON smaller as well, which I liked...and lots of kids seemed to enroll in the classes and never show up - so if you went to class every day, you tended to do pretty well. :rolleyes:

Summer classes might be a bit difficult right now - not due to get state-side until Aug. I wish they would define "biology" a little better. To me, physiology is a part of biology and thus should be eligible to be counted as a biology requirement. Instead, since I suck at plant stuff (or am just really bored by it), I have to count C's in bio rather than A's in physiology - which was far more in depth. I guess the best course of action at this point is to go with what I have, possibly do a business class (preferably something useful for a small business) and flaunt my very unusual experiences (really need the Iraqi Army to get its vet corps stood up in the next couple of months). It always seems like a roll of the dice anyway.

Why don't you take Bio 160? Sounds like it would be right up your alley, no plants, and you could count it instead of your intro bio class.

With their application, unless it has changed, you input each class that you want to count into a form - so you decide what you want to fill your bio requirement if you have options.

http://cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/admissions.html#Prerequisite

I took microecon, & business management. Accounting would count as well. it was a very general req.

Boots & coveralls are for teaching animal unit (LA course.)

lockers are very helpful. otherwise I would carry so much junk! scrubs, coveralls, boots, clogs, books, notes, laptop, lunch, steth, dissection kit, skills book, umbrella, etc. students tend to decorate them, as well.

the busines pre-req was dropped because of the mandatory business class during vet school.

The lockers just seemed to be located in an odd place. I didn't get a full tour, so perhaps I was off the beaten path, but is just struck me as out of place. I envisioned the lockers being placed in some dark hole where no administrator roams.

I thought about taking an accounting class. I'm trying to figure out something that would also help in the career field I want to go into - the Army. I have an extensive amount of experience with the supply and equipment accountability concerns, but am always interested in learning a more efficient method.

Oh yeah, it looks like BIO 160 is no longer offered. Had to find that tidbit in the pre-Pharm pages.

Last edited:
Armymutt, try ZO 160 instead. That's what I took which was there. It satisfied the BIO requirement for NC.

Over the past year or so, the Zoology department has been merging with the biology department. Which is loads of fun for those of us with zoology degrees, who know have to both: figure out what classes count as what, and decide which of the reduced number of offered courses to take.

Unfortunately, it appears is if both bio/zo 150 and bio/zo 160 (the first two courses for a freshman in zo) have been axed. Bio 181 and bio183 are the "replacement" courses (they've been the two courses bio majors must take freshman year). I've heard from my roommate that they are alright courses, they just don't seem as relevant for a zo major. Unfortunately, both will include plants. 181 is ecology, evolution, and biodiversity. Which, honestly, isn't exactly what I'd consider the core of biology (not very big on ecology, though I love evolution). 183 is cellular and molecular biology, which might be a little better, and if you've taken chem1, and are a sophomore or higher, you can jump right on in. I can't say how easy or challenging the two are. My roommate did real well, but then when he got over the to 'zo side' of courses (back when it existed) he really struggled. So it may just depend on the type of teaching you respond well to.

The lockers just seemed to be located in an odd place. I didn't get a full tour, so perhaps I was off the beaten path, but is just struck me as out of place. I envisioned the lockers being placed in some dark hole where no administrator roams.

The lockers are everywhere. FY is between necropsy/lab animal med & surgery...the most out of the way, but the best view of the teaching animal units. Y2 upstairs but central, Y3 downstairs & central, Y4 near the current VTH.

The lockers are everywhere. FY is between necropsy/lab animal med & surgery...the most out of the way, but the best view of the teaching animal units. Y2 upstairs but central, Y3 downstairs & central, Y4 near the current VTH.

Must have been the Y2 lockers that I saw. If you are facing them and look to the left, you can see the whale skeleton?

Yep....that would be Y2's...it might shift in a couple years when the new VTH opens, though.