My Post Bacc Chances (Scripps, Bryn Mawr, Goucher)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjd101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a history major at a top 30 University with a 3.7 gpa and a high school SAT score of 1310. I have looked into all of these programs and am still kind of uncertain where I would stand as far as chances of getting in. By the time I apply I will have worked for a year as a living assistant for a person with a developmental disability and I will have volunteered at a trauma center for a little less than a year. I also have plenty of hours of non-health related volunteer work. I don't plan on taking any time off between undergrad and a post bacc. Will this hurt my chances? Also, what do these programs usually offer as far as loans are concerned? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats seem about average for the top programs.

I agree. Definitely in the average range of accepted students. More and more formal postbac students are coming straight out of undergrad with the job market being what it is, but that's not really what these programs were designed for -- they're called 'career changer' programs for a reason. Not that you don't deserve to attend -- it's just something to be aware of. Your interviewers will want to see that you made significant contributions to your initial field before considering and deciding on medicine -- it is often tough to showcase that having never been out of college.

I'm not sure about Scripps and BM, but Goucher always has a few students that are straight out of undergrad, so it's definitely possible, especially if your experiences as a living assistant and trauma center volunteer allow you to really explain your interest in medicine.

As for loans, I would imagine most full-time programs are similar. At Goucher, there was a maximum cost of attendance (including fees and living expenses) determined by the school, which was the maximum a student could take out for a certified loan. Fill out the FAFSA form, which determines how much you can take out in Stafford loans, and then you can take the rest out in private student loans.

If you have any specific questions about Goucher, feel free to PM me.

Good luck.