My science GPA is a 3.5. So what's the problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a few nice shiny bruises on my transcript. From the C+ in Organic Chemistry 2, to B's in Physics 1 and 2.

And my adviser has basically said I should aim for only DO schools.

But isn't the avg. accepted science/math GPA around that? I got overall a 3.9 GPA, research experience, volunteer experience.

Is my adviser being melodramatic? Should I really retake Ochem 2, I mean it isn't even covered on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT is actually pretty good, or at least in my state. I always thought/heard that doing well in MCAT sections that represented classes one did (or thought did) underaverage in compensated for the grades.

Do you go to a very competitive institution? If so, maybe your adviser is implicitly comparing you to the individuals he/she sees regularly. Don't let that get to you.

Mind if I ask your major OP? Maybe there's some BPCM electives you can take to bump it up a little? How far are you in your degree/application process?

Overall, don't sweat it. My friend made 2 C's in Ochem I and II, had a slightly lower MCAT than yours, and got in a top 20 in state school. His overall GPA was lower than your science GPA....

I've been slowly learning to take any judgement by others, no matter who it is, with a grain of salt. I'm just focusing on me, my application, and my numbers. No one is going to influence me any more other than me. Don't let some person who sits on a leather chair and a computer all day try to limit you.

EDIT: Just like my peers below say, it'd be more conservative to apply to both MD and DO schools, but don't let the fact that you apply to DO schools influence you psychologically and think that's what you're limited to.

So I got a few nice shiny bruises on my transcript. From the C+ in Organic Chemistry 2, to B's in Physics 1 and 2.

But isn't the avg. accepted science/math GPA around that? I got overall a 3.9 GPA, research experience, volunteer experience and a decent MCAT (32)

Is my adviser being melodramatic?

The average science GPA for MD matriculants is a little over 3.6. The B's won't really affect you, but you might be asked about that C+. A 3.5 is still a good GPA, and coupled with a 3.9 overall and that MCAT score, I think you would have a decent shot overall. I think your advisor is being a bit melodramatic, but it isn't a bad idea to add DO to the mix. Although a 3.5 is still solid, it is technically "below average" for MD. Adding DO schools along with the MD schools would be prudent, IMO, but certainly you have a good shot at MD if the rest of your app is solid.

Members don't see this ad :)

But isn't the avg. accepted science/math GPA around that? I got overall a 3.9 GPA, research experience, volunteer experience and a decent MCAT (32).

Is my adviser being melodramatic? Should I really retake Ochem 2, I mean it isn't even covered on the MCAT.

I think you should apply both MD and DO. With strategic planning, casting a broad net, and applying early enough, you definitely still have a shot at MD. I had a horrible MCAT, slightly below average GPA (that included a C in Ochem2 as well), and still landed 3 MD interviews. That being said don't rely on n=1. Apply DO as well, as it would really suck to put all your eggs in one basket and have none hatch. You'd be fine for any DO school without a strong regional bias (unless you're located there already).

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a psychology major, and a chem minor. I have credits to play around with so I might be able to throw in another A or two in science/math before I apply. My school has neuroscience classes that cover psychology requirements that are explicitly stated by my school to count toward science and math GPA. I might take some and kill two birds with one stone (science GPA and psych reqs).

Also, I still plan to apply to a bunch of DO's either way. I just wanted to know if it was worth my money applying MD.

Hmmm, yeah, psych doesn't count towards BPCM. It's probably a fundamental psychology class that has a PSYC prefix, but have you tried taking a stats class in the college of mathematics? Another thing you can do is try to find a technical writing course that has BPCM prefix and petition to get in the course. Proficiency in technical writing looks good for any field of applied science, and you can learn a lot personally. Analytical chemistry, also called quantitative chemistry, was sort of an extension of gen chem experiments that was more arithmetically precise. It's a little bit of work, but it wasn't too hard according to my class at that institution. If you didn't like physics, avoid Pchem. Your background in psych might qualify you to petition for some neurobiology elective classes, just make sure they have a Bio prefix. That'll also help raise your science GPA, and you might feel comfortable around it considering your background in psychology (assuming some of it was neuroscience or something similar)

Hmmm, yeah, psych doesn't count towards BPCM. It's probably a fundamental psychology class that has a PSYC prefix, but have you tried taking a stats class in the college of mathematics? Another thing you can do is try to find a technical writing course that has BPCM prefix and petition to get in the course. Proficiency in technical writing looks good for any field of applied science, and you can learn a lot personally. Analytical chemistry, also called quantitative chemistry, was sort of an extension of gen chem experiments that was more arithmetically precise. It's a little bit of work, but it wasn't too hard according to my class at that institution. If you didn't like physics, avoid Pchem. Your background in psych might qualify you to petition for some neurobiology elective classes, just make sure they have a Bio prefix. That'll also help raise your science GPA, and you might feel comfortable around it considering your background in psychology (assuming some of it was neuroscience or something similar)

Does a NEUROSCI prefix count? I also already took stat through the STATS department.

Nope. I don't believe so. I think science GPA is exclusively Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Math.

http://prehealth.duke.edu/applying/the-primary-application/calculating-the-bcpm-gpa/

I think Duke has pretty good ethos.

Try to find something with an explicit BIO prefix that has to deal with the brain/nervous system, and petition to get in. That way, the content might be similar to what you're comfortable with, and it'll affect your science GPA. I know it sucks...

For example, I took a course that had to do with thermal energy, theory in electromagnetic measurements, and manipulating mechanical energy for laboratory purposes. That's as Physics as it gets. The deal? It has a ME (Mechanical Engineering) prefix, and it didn't count towards my science GPA. I don't know how the STAT prefix works. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll fly.

The AMCAS classifies Statistics classes under Math and Neuroscience classes under Biology. My friend is a Neuroscience major (pre-med) and she said her Neuroscience classes counted, but do STAT classes count?

Well, that adds a new spin. If her neuroscience classes counted as Bio, according to your friend, then I don't see why stats wouldn't under those circumstances.

Well, that adds a new spin. If her neuroscience classes counted as Bio, according to your friend, then I don't see why stats wouldn't under those circumstances.
Well, the Duke link you gave listed Neuroscience as well.

Well, the Duke link you gave listed Neuroscience as well.

Lolz, just re-read it. Yeah, it does. I'm a huge skeptic though, so I feel more comfortable now about neurosci if there's an individual like your friend that has had success in applying neurosci cred as bio.

Well, I say, go for it now. Review it with your adviser.

To the original question posted at the top, don't worry about your sGPA though. If you can bump it up a tenth of a point, great. If not, don't sweat it too much.

I was a psych major. I took a neurobiology class through my psych department and also took stats through my psych department and both counted as "science" classes on my AMCAS. I had similar bruises as you (C's in gen chem 1 and calc 1 my first semester of college) finished with a 3.5 science GPA and only got into an unranked IS school. Your advisor is right that you should consider DO mainly because of how competitive this process is. I just as easily could be reapplying right now, but got lucky with my one school.

Your mcat score is great, it doesn't matter if your gpa is a little below. Your mcat score is definitely good enough to get into some MD schools. Don't be discouraged my counselors or anyone, you have plenty of options w/ MD or DO schools and shouldn't restrict yourself to just DO schools.

I had a 3.5 sGPA, with a C+ my sophomore year and I wasn't asked about it. It's just one piece of the puzzle - schools aren't going to see a 3.5 and throw out your application because of it.

Your advisor is probably trying to control where you apply so that your undergrad can look better statistics-wise.

Reactions: 1 user

But isn't the avg. accepted science/math GPA around that? I got overall a 3.9 GPA, research experience, volunteer experience and a decent MCAT (32).

In my not so humble opinion, your adviser isn't advising you well. Your overall GPA is as important as your science GPA, if not more, and a 3.9 with a 32 MCAT will be looked at extremely positively, even with a C+ on your record (I had 2 C's on mine and had an overall of around 3.54 with multiple MD school interviews). If you're feeling paranoid, apply to 1 or 2 DO schools, but MD is easily within reach if you present yourself well.

My friend is a Neuroscience major (pre-med) and she said her Neuroscience classes counted, but do STAT classes count?
It's the course content that matters when it comes to BCPM, not the department. Neuroscience classes count as biology and statistics classes count as math, so both subjects will factor into your BCPM: AMCAS Course Classification Guide

General question: you all are talking as if you can "throw in a few DO's into the mix" just like that, but don't they have specific requirements for application? For example, shadowing a DO physician and getting a rec letter from them?

General question: you all are talking as if you can "throw in a few DO's into the mix" just like that, but don't they have specific requirements for application? For example, shadowing a DO physician and getting a rec letter from them?

Not all of them have this requirement.

No, your adviser is being a *****. Your GPAs are solid. Maybe the Ivies will sneer at you, but you're fine in a LOT of other places.