• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

MedChic

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I jumped from a 27 (FL1) to a 34(FL2) in one week....Is this just a huge outlier I should ignore (is the FL2 easier or something)? I mean should I expect my score to go down during my next try without getting discouraged or is this a normal improvement?

The only difference was that last week (and a half) people came into the study room and started talking in the middle of my PS section and I was really distracted so I may have scored higher than a 27....Anyway, please post if you have seen 5< point jumps at short intervals.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I jumped from a 27 (FL1) to a 34(FL2) in one week....Is this just a huge outlier I should ignore (is the FL2 easier or something)? I mean should I expect my score to go down during my next try without getting discouraged or is this a normal improvement?

The only difference was that last week (and a half) people came into the study room and started talking in the middle of my PS section and I was really distracted so I may have scored higher than a 27....Anyway, please post if you have seen 5< point jumps at short intervals.

I don't know what you mean by "FL" (is this Kaplan?), but don't put much stock in any single test. Just as questions can hit on things you are strongest in, they can hit on things you are weakest in. A good rule of thumb is to look at how you have done on three full lengths in a row (the average of those is about where you are).

AF DO

WVSOM 2011 - PBL
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
When I first started studying, I jumped from about 8 points. I think that as you take more tests (even one) you start to learn more of what is expected of you. Don't be discouraged, it sounds like you're doing fine! Good luck!

theunremarkable

MS2
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Nice, congrats! I hope I get a jump like that pretty soon. I will be taking FL 1 this weekend and FL 2 next weekend.

If you're next FL score is on the high end then it was probably def. not a fluke!

About the Ads

EMH

Hospitalist/Nocturnist Hologram
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2005
Arkansas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'd say you're getting accustomed to the format/timing/style of the test. Try to beat the score next time. For the record my scores went like this.

13 (half length free kaplan)
almost year break
24 (kaplan diag half length)
37 (didn't take the sections consecutively, one each day)
REAL THING 36

At the end I started experimenting with different ways of pacing and how to stay mentally alert for the whole exam. The fact my best practice exam was when I took a day break between sections was evidence that I was tiring. The final answer involved eating a cliff bar at break one along with half a red bull (full redbull made me jumpy). Another half redbull with lunch, and another half redbull at afternoon break. Sorry, I know this is more answer than you were looking for, but I get long winded in the MCAT forum.

EMH

Hospitalist/Nocturnist Hologram
15+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2005
Arkansas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Good point, yes I took the April 06 paper exam. I should shut up since I've never taken a CBT and don't know how it works.

MedChic

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'd say you're getting accustomed to the format/timing/style of the test. Try to beat the score next time. For the record my scores went like this.

13 (half length free kaplan)
almost year break
24 (kaplan diag half length)
37 (didn't take the sections consecutively, one each day)
REAL THING 36

At the end I started experimenting with different ways of pacing and how to stay mentally alert for the whole exam. The fact my best practice exam was when I took a day break between sections was evidence that I was tiring. The final answer involved eating a cliff bar at break one along with half a red bull (full redbull made me jumpy). Another half redbull with lunch, and another half redbull at afternoon break. Sorry, I know this is more answer than you were looking for, but I get long winded in the MCAT forum.

Nice, EMH, very nice.
I'm impressed. I think you killed the thing and buried it. :thumbup:
Good tactics, thanks!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.