My score weirded me out.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedChic

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I jumped from a 27 (FL1) to a 34(FL2) in one week....Is this just a huge outlier I should ignore (is the FL2 easier or something)? I mean should I expect my score to go down during my next try without getting discouraged or is this a normal improvement?

The only difference was that last week (and a half) people came into the study room and started talking in the middle of my PS section and I was really distracted so I may have scored higher than a 27....Anyway, please post if you have seen 5< point jumps at short intervals.

Members don't see this ad.

I jumped from a 27 (FL1) to a 34(FL2) in one week....Is this just a huge outlier I should ignore (is the FL2 easier or something)? I mean should I expect my score to go down during my next try without getting discouraged or is this a normal improvement?

The only difference was that last week (and a half) people came into the study room and started talking in the middle of my PS section and I was really distracted so I may have scored higher than a 27....Anyway, please post if you have seen 5< point jumps at short intervals.

I don't know what you mean by "FL" (is this Kaplan?), but don't put much stock in any single test. Just as questions can hit on things you are strongest in, they can hit on things you are weakest in. A good rule of thumb is to look at how you have done on three full lengths in a row (the average of those is about where you are).

When I first started studying, I jumped from about 8 points. I think that as you take more tests (even one) you start to learn more of what is expected of you. Don't be discouraged, it sounds like you're doing fine! Good luck!

Nice, congrats! I hope I get a jump like that pretty soon. I will be taking FL 1 this weekend and FL 2 next weekend.

If you're next FL score is on the high end then it was probably def. not a fluke!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say you're getting accustomed to the format/timing/style of the test. Try to beat the score next time. For the record my scores went like this.

13 (half length free kaplan)
almost year break
24 (kaplan diag half length)
37 (didn't take the sections consecutively, one each day)
REAL THING 36

At the end I started experimenting with different ways of pacing and how to stay mentally alert for the whole exam. The fact my best practice exam was when I took a day break between sections was evidence that I was tiring. The final answer involved eating a cliff bar at break one along with half a red bull (full redbull made me jumpy). Another half redbull with lunch, and another half redbull at afternoon break. Sorry, I know this is more answer than you were looking for, but I get long winded in the MCAT forum.

EMH, did you drink all those red bulls for the old mcat (8 hrs), or the new CBT?

Good point, yes I took the April 06 paper exam. I should shut up since I've never taken a CBT and don't know how it works.

I'd say you're getting accustomed to the format/timing/style of the test. Try to beat the score next time. For the record my scores went like this.

13 (half length free kaplan)
almost year break
24 (kaplan diag half length)
37 (didn't take the sections consecutively, one each day)
REAL THING 36

At the end I started experimenting with different ways of pacing and how to stay mentally alert for the whole exam. The fact my best practice exam was when I took a day break between sections was evidence that I was tiring. The final answer involved eating a cliff bar at break one along with half a red bull (full redbull made me jumpy). Another half redbull with lunch, and another half redbull at afternoon break. Sorry, I know this is more answer than you were looking for, but I get long winded in the MCAT forum.

Nice, EMH, very nice.
I'm impressed. I think you killed the thing and buried it. :thumbup:
Good tactics, thanks!