My situation...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potential123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I come from a family of dentists and always wanted to do dentistry from the very beginning. However, I was never the best test taker and didn't get the best of grades. Now, going into my senior year, I'm kind of at a crossroads. I recently submitted my application to various pharmacy schools around my area, however; I'm not satisfied. There's something telling me to give becoming a dentist a chance. I want your input, keeping it as real as possible, about my chances of getting into a dental school in the United States. My stats are kinda brutal: I have 3.4 Cum GPA, 3.4 Science GPA. I also have volunteer experience as well. Do you think I should just stick with going to my pharmacy school or do I have a legitimate chance, taking a year off, to pursue becoming a dentist?

Members don't see this ad.

always go with your heart.

a little story about me: i initially thought i wanted to go to med school, cause well, that's just what us biomed people do. But It took me until I was done with undergrad and away from all the "hoopla" to finally realize where I felt more belonging. Sure I'll be 2 years behind the kids that went the traditional route, but I'd rather be 2 years "behind" than 4 years down a path I really didn't love. It's like relationships, when it's real, you'll know... you won't be confused.

good luck

I come from a family of dentists and always wanted to do dentistry from the very beginning. However, I was never the best test taker and didn't get the best of grades. Now, going into my senior year, I'm kind of at a crossroads. I recently submitted my application to various pharmacy schools around my area, however; I'm not satisfied. There's something telling me to give becoming a dentist a chance. I want your input, keeping it as real as possible, about my chances of getting into a dental school in the United States. My stats are kinda brutal: I have 3.4 Cum GPA, 3.4 Science GPA. I also have volunteer experience as well. Do you think I should just stick with going to my pharmacy school or do I have a legitimate chance, taking a year off, to pursue becoming a dentist?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1027945

Members don't see this ad :)

:laugh: Couldn't have even gotten creative with the wording, OP?!

tCp90.gif

also, why'd your sGPA went down in this forum?

Lol I knew there would be someone who have read this before. Plain and simple, do I have a chance at Dental School?

HAS*

Lol sorry if I offended anyone, but I honestly don't know what to do. Better yet, it's where I have the most realistic chance of getting in.

HAS*

Lol sorry if I offended anyone, but I honestly don't know what to do. Better yet, it's where I have the most realistic chance of getting in.

What makes you say that?

HAS*

no worries here, but i'm no one to talk about realistic chances cause i applied uber uber uber late. but the general consensus is.... your home state schools > private/OOS friendlies > everywhere else.

what say y'all?

Reason why I say that is because I'm a horrible test taker. I can put it all the time in the world, but for some reason will still end up short. I figured the DAT is a test I can study more for, as oppose for the MCAT, being more of a critical thinking exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
so have we established OP is an idiot?

Reason why I say that is because I'm a horrible test taker. I can put it all the time in the world, but for some reason will still end up short. I figured the DAT is a test I can study more for, as oppose for the MCAT, being more of a critical thinking exam.

WRONG.

Since you are coming from a family of lots of dentists, you will get a better sense of things by asking them. Or were they physicians? or pharmacists? or veterinarians?....

Potential123 said:
I come from a family of physicians and always wanted to do medicine from the very beginning. However, I was never the best test taker and didn't get the best of grades. Now, going into my senior year, I'm kind of at a crossroads. I recently submitted my application to various pharmacy schools around my area, however; I'm not satisfied. There's something telling me to give becoming an MD/DO a chance. I want your input, keeping it as real as possible, about my chances of getting into a DO program in the US or pursuing an MD degree from the Caribbean. My stats are kinda brutal: I have 3.4 Cum GPA, 3.5 Science GPA. I also have volunteer experience as well. Do you think I should just stick with going to my pharmacy school or do I have a legitimate chance, taking a year off, to pursue becoming a DO or getting into a Caribbean medical school like Ross?
OP, if you may kindly, please, elucidate what this "something telling me" is without being nebulous, then I and possibly others will provide some real inputs.

HAS*

If you want the best chance of getting into a school that leads to a similar career, look into podiatry. It would be smart of you to actually look into what you are applying for by shadowing, but judging from your two choices it seems that all you care about is earning potential.

Also, with that gpa, you will need to do well on the DAT. Good luck if you aren't a good test taker. :thumbup:

Edit: Sorry about the shadowing comment, I forgot that you come from a family of DDS MDs.

Perhaps the question is not which you should do, but WHY you shouldn't do all?

Start to search for schools with a combined DDS/MD/PharmD/JD/BS/IHOP/MA/PA/PhD/AAA/? There's a plethora of choices to choose from...

Just saying....

I think what you need to do is to figure what you really want to do, because if you don't know what you want it will show on your application and your interview. Start by actually researching, compare the different careers in healthcare field, and ask someone who are in these fields. Ask yourself where you ACTUALLY see yourself 10 or 20 years down the road. If you made a decision, then create a stellar application and show the admissions why you should be a dentist.

Last edited:
If you are a "bad test taker", study harder. If you know the material well you won't be bad at taking the test. Don't do something because you think it will be easier.

Well looks like the OP has a lot of...

( •_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Potential.

HAS*

Lol sorry if I offended anyone, but I honestly don't know what to do. Better yet, it's where I have the most realistic chance of getting in, and I also heard this is the reason for the idea that dentists have the highest suicide rates amongst any professionals.

Fixed.

This is actually the reason all of us are applying as well. Something told us we didn't have the potential to get into medical school, so dental school was the obvious answer!

science-sarcasm-Professor-Frink-Comic-Book-Guy-631.jpg

Last edited:
What is a "bad test taker"? Is that another way of saying that you did not put in the required amount of effort into studying to get the necessary grades?