My undergrad transcript looks bad...should I give up on trying for an MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And how many MDs did you talk to? Most of the ones I meet say that MDs and DOs are virtually identical in practice.

Well OP as long as you intend to practice virtual medicine, you're pretty much set.

The MDs I've talked too have told me there are differences in ACTUAL practice. At least at the hospital I was at back in the States, a doctor told me that DOs see the less severe/less complicated cases and the MDs handled the ones with the tough calls. Sure there may not be much of a difference in the job itself, or the salary, but why limit yourself? Why not try to be the best?

That being said, the increased dropout rate doesn't even make it into my top three reasons why any informed premed should pick MD over DO if given the opportunity.
1. disorganized and less rigorous clinical education
2. COMLEX
3. more difficulty in the match with many doors closed

Even if there isn't much difference between the dropout rates, this is still true and three reasons why MD is more advantageous beyond the degree itself.

Nevermind. You haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about. It isn't worth my time.

Lol where exactly? I don't think anything I said is untrue so please enlighten me DO god.

Members don't see this ad.

looks like there are a bunch pushing 9 and 10% if you look beyond the latest data. anyway, even with these numbers you presented my claim that DO attrition is greater than US MD attrition seems to hold up

either way this is getting way off topic and i see that people are being overly defensive without wanting to have an actual conversation. there is another thread where this is being discussed more intelligently.
Even then you must see the total attrition rate. Some take leave of absence and return. Data suggests they are 50% of the people in the category. Also, a withdrawal is not the same as dismissal. Since DO schools have higher numbers of non-trads, you don't know if many are withdrawing due to non-academic reasons.

Give the name of the COM with 10% or move on. Nobody can "identify" your friend if you give the name of the COM, but I bet you won't give the name of the COM because you know a student from there will come here and hand you back your BS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Give the name of the COM with 10% or move on. Nobody can "identify" your friend if you give the name of the COM, but I bet you won't give the name of the COM because you know a student from there will come here and hand you back your BS.

let me answer this question by quoting two older posts from interviewees at the school i'm talking about that cite the SAME EXACT NUMBER i did.....

-i interviewed at NYCOM second... i was talking with a student ambassador and asked how big her MS-2 class was. she replied that she thought they were about 288 now but started off with about 320. that attrition rate kinda spooked me. in addition, my interviewer had gone to NSU-COM and said that he thought the NYCOM program was stronger. on the other hand, the NSU-COM boards pass rate was like 95% or something around the mid-90's and that's pretty impressive as well. the admissions people at NYCOM would NOT tell us their board pass rate! they were like, "well we have the statistics on that, but they're really not that important - you just really have to put in the effort yourself to do well on them. we are "right in the middle of the pack."" and i completely understand that - you don't ride on the coattails of previous success - but a general percentile would have been helpful.

incidentally this is exactly 10%!

the second is from this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=249513&page=4

I recently interviewed at NYCOM and it went quite swimmingly. It was laidback and it seemed a large portion of the discussion was the professor trying to convince me why I should attend this school. I had some reservations and wanted to inquire how you guys felt about them - and for those of you who are committed to going, how you resolved this issue for yourselves. Taking in such a large class, NYCOM has 6-8 individuals per cadaver. While the interviewer claimed this is not a prohibitory factor to learning, it bothers to me a bit. Further, they have a huge 10% attrition rate which is higher than I have ever heard of before. If it's such a great institution why are so many students being first screened, accepted, then failing out? Finally, the board scores are in the 70s%. I asked my interviewer about this as well and he acknowledged it was true and that they don't presently know the reason it is so low. Thanks for the replies/info.

my info was from a current student in a more recent class than the ones being discussed in these two quotes and i have many friends who are current and former students at that school. it seems like, from what i've heard that the attrition rate is still around 10%.

.....thanks for playing

let me answer this question by quoting two older posts from interviewees at the school i'm talking about that cite the SAME EXACT NUMBER i did.....

incidentally this is exactly 10%!

the second is from this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=249513&page=4

my info was from a current student in a more recent class than the ones being discussed in these two quotes and i have many friends who are current and former students at that school. it seems like, from what i've heard that the attrition rate is still around 10%.

.....thanks for playing

The issue is that you claimed that this was at a "top" DO school. The purpose of you specifying that was to imply that if a "top" DO school has such a high attrition rate, then most DO schools must be far worse.

Finding one or two schools that are terrible is irrelevant.

The issue is that you claimed that this was at a "top" DO school. The purpose of you specifying that was to imply that if a "top" DO school has such a high attrition rate, then most DO schools must be far worse.

Finding one or two schools that are terrible is irrelevant.

isn't this considered one of the top DO schools?

also i implied nothing. if that's how you interpreted it then that's on you.

oh, and now that you see i'm right about this and you were being ridiculous by being so defensive you want to chop up my post and put words in my mouth to try to pretend like you're not wrong. doesn't work that way chief.

oh, and now that you see i'm right about this and you were being ridiculous by being so defensive you want to chop up my post and put words in my mouth to try to pretend like you're not wrong. doesn't work that way chief.

Big bang theory is the most unfunny stupid show ever. Why the hell do you like it?

.....thanks for playing
Nope, thank you for slapping me around. It's always good to learn -- even at one's own expense.

I did see fluctuations of that 10%. I find it quite troublesome and wonder why in the world would they, out of all schools, have such attrition.

All you have shown is that it is possible that NYCOM should not be considered a top DO school since it had worse results than most in at least one year. Beyond that you showed nothing.

edit: Also, I have not been defensive about anything. You are the one who has been overtly emotional and insulting in your posts.
edit#2: Also, If you were not implying that some top school having poor results(which turned out to be about 5x worse than average) meant that most schools had even worse results, then it was pointless to bring that up. You were making the argument that DO schools, in general, are poor schools. Bringing up a point that has nothing to do with DO schools in general makes no sense.

Last edited: