My Wife is a dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is Dentistry saturated ?

• Yes

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Its only hard in the beginning

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

how_to_start

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, My wife is a dentist back in India, I am a software engineer, we moved to California 2 years back. I know She has to go through a lot of schooling again after the NBDE I and II to start Her practices. Looks like its going to be very tough and costs more.

I am also hearing from many forums and ppl that California (we are in San Jose) has more than enough Dentists and there would be a very tough competition after the schooling.

Is this true ? Is Dentistry already saturated ?

Members don't see this ad.

Is dentistry saturated? No.
Is dentistry saturated in California? Yes.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, My wife is a dentist back in India, I am a software engineer, we moved to California 2 years back. I know She has to go through a lot of schooling again after the NBDE I and II to start Her practices. Looks like its going to be very tough and costs more.

I am also hearing from many forums and ppl that California (we are in San Jose) has more than enough Dentists and there would be a very tough competition after the schooling.

Is this true ? Is Dentistry already saturated ?

She may not need to go through a 2-year Advanced Standing program to become licensed in the U.S.-there are several states in the US that grant licensure to international dentists after simply completing a 1 or 2-year AEGD/general dentistry residency. This is good for you because she a) won't need to take out loans (IDS/Advanced Standing is very expensive) and b) she can receive a decent income before getting full licensure.

You're on this website, which means that clearly, you're very resourceful- I recommend you explore this residency option more thoroughly.

Also, I think that, given your background as a software engineer and the fact that she can get her license without the huge debt that American students are graduating with (if she does go for licensure through residency), you would be fine in California and could find a job that works for her. It may not be very high income, but then again, you won't have the high debts that her American counterparts will have, and you will have your income as well.

For more information, check these two links out:
1) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/gpr-aegd-for-international-dentists.709863/

2) http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/international-dental.53/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is a predent forum. Not sure it's the best place to gauge saturation of the dental field.

Reactions: 1 users