N/A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rick Harrison

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
N/A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was in your position 5 years ago except UAB was in state for me. I was excited for NY and everything that Columbia had to offer but at the end of the day, I couldn't justify the loans knowing that I would want to specialize and prolong the repayment. I recently Matched Perio at UAB which has verified that the decision of UAB for dental school was the right one. Most post grad programs know how strong UAB is clinically and they weigh that heavily in the application process. My class and the previous classes had a significant amount of graduates specializing (usually at least a third of the class for non-GPR programs). It would be a great place to boost your network in the southeast and open the door to many specialty programs.

Sometimes I think about what Columbia would have offered differently but I think it all works out the way its supposed to. PM me if you have other questions about anything.

Reactions: 1 user
although i recently submitted my deposit for columbia, i will not deny that columbia is very expensive. i will add that im not sure what part of nyc you have visited, but there are manyyy different parts of nyc. times square/penn station (34th st) is very chaotic and upbeat for sure. however, columbia is on 168th street which is a totally different location and vibe. i have visited there twice and its definitely less stressful and loud and much less crazy people.

i also will add that what other school matches students into omfs residencies other than columbia? (since you're dead set on it)
idk much about the uab program so i have no comment on that besides its a state school so its a great school financially. but yes as an incoming D1 at cdm, i am a bit biased. but i just wanted to give you a bit more clarification, so do what you will