Nail Fungal Testing EOB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heybrother

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
$699 for nail testing. My god.

1665599305370.png

1665599336925.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How else you gonna make money in PP? That's why they drop surgeries and say clinic pays. Because they send several biopsies per day even for common warts, etc, send nails, orthotics, grafts for ulcers in the clinic. I have seen a guy send biopsies daily for common things that don't need it.

Reactions: 1 users
How else you gonna make money in PP? That's why they drop surgeries and say clinic pays. Because they send several biopsies per day even for common warts, etc, send nails, orthotics, grafts for ulcers in the clinic. I have seen a guy send biopsies daily for common things that don't need it.
That guy probably has zero idea that Medicare is slowly building a case against him...3 or 4 years later he'll be raided😂

They only make that money if they own the lab… this is precisely why I hope my last employer gets a huge audit. He ripped of Medicare terribly for this!

Regular weekday, and a typical podiatry conference:

Guy from Bako Lab at lunch seminars:
"Raise your hand if you don't do enough biopsies. Anyone?"
"You want to know the specific dermatophyte for their toenails. That's good evidence based care."
"Melanoma is everywhere."
"BIOPSY BIOPSY BIOPSY"
"BIOPSY! BIOPSY! BIOPSY!"

Finished lunch and headed to the exhibitor room before lectures. Failed to avoid eye contact with the rep from Formula 7.
20 minutes later finally finished that conversation. More business cards and pamphlets in the Bako bag.
Went back to the lecture hall to see what's going on: "COMPLEX REARFOOT TRAUMA"
Nah... just an onychomycologist here. Pass.

As a total toenail replacement surgeon, I find this thread very interesting.

Bruh if you had a CAQ in surgery you wouldn't. You'd be focused on which scrub cap to wear in public.

So when your TNR goes bad, how do you salvage? I don't think KCI has any wound vac specifically designed for toes. Are you working on a proprietary device with a small unknown medical device company? If so I would also be interested in consulting.

So when your TNR goes bad, how do you salvage? I don't think KCI has any wound vac specifically designed for toes. Are you working on a proprietary device with a small unknown medical device company? If so I would also be interested in consulting.

I personally never have complications however for helping others’ complications I would be interested in starting a custom 3D printed nailbed wound vac company.

I personally never have complications however for helping others’ complications I would be interested in starting a custom 3D printed nailbed wound vac company.
Yeah in my hands I have found that proper cuticle handling cuts down on complications. I have only done a handful, so I don't have to expertise that you do. I don't consider myself a Total Toenail Replacement Surgeon, just a lowly podiatrist.

Yeah in my hands I have found that proper cuticle handling cuts down on complications. I have only done a handful, so I don't have to expertise that you do. I don't consider myself a Total Toenail Replacement Surgeon, just a lowly podiatrist.

Just keep those nail nippers sharp and that dremel spinning and you’ll get there.

Just keep those nail nippers sharp and that dremel spinning and you’ll get there.
Sir I am a surgeon. I don't understand how nail nippers or a Dremel are relevant to this conversation. I didn't go through 7 years of school, delay my future for less pay than a nurse and massively disappoint my family and friends just to bust toenails. I am a surgeon. I cut, therefore I am.

• Hmm
This ^^

A million ways to boost collection in PP, but "path lab" is one of the better ones right now. Before that, it was wound 'grafts,' braces 'custom' for balance or drop foot, sclerosing injects, etc etc.

As mentioned, the group needs to own path lab to make nail clip histo highly profitable. If you just send the samples, you get info but no real code. Some bill nail bx or nail avulsion - or even both - but sending grandpa nail clip while you do 11721 doesn't fit cpt for 11730 or 11755. The $$$ is in the lab, so a lot of big groups have a lab or 3rd party labs are happy to send lunch and FedEx labels and gifts to get nail sample biz.

I am crazy... stick with good pt volume, injects and procedures, xrays, surgery, dme. Some of my colleagues have collections 3x mine or more, though.

So glad I dumped Bako for a smaller and better lab. Bako is way too pushy.
I don't use them much anymore since we have a lab or i use the local hospitals, but bako was always good info for me with turnarounds and dx info. There are definitely others that are marketing to podiatry that are much more fly by night. It's a big money industry.