NAPLEX/MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OliviaJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I may sound a bit clueless, but I genuinely have not heard any details of when NAPLEX/MPJE works for those hoping to match to a residency. Is right after graduation the most prudent time to take both? Most of my programs I received interviews for start mid-June. I'm hoping to have everything in order with time to spare prior to moving (pending I match). Any recommendations/suggestions from anyone much more knowledgeable than me on this subject?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most programs will not require you to be licensed before starting residency, but will have an absolute date by which you have to obtain your license. I would highly recommend getting licensed as early as possible (because training when you're not a licensed pharmacist can be kind of crappy). So to answer your question, yes, taking the exam just after graduation is likely the best time.

That being said, you can't actually schedule your exam until the state board of pharmacy determines that you're eligible to take it (you will receive an authorization to test, ATT)...and different states may take longer than others to do this. I really recommend that if/when you match, research licensing requirements for the state and start on them as soon as possible.

Also, I'd recommend reaching out to your school for questions about the NAPLEX process, since your entire class will be going through it. a good starting point is the NABP website, too (https://nabp.pharmacy/programs/naplex/)

Also worth noting there's a whole different thread on SDN devoted to licensing and exams FYI!

No program will require you to be licensed before your start date because we know that that is out of most PGY1's hands. Different programs will have different deadlines for when you either must be licensed or have completed your part of licensing (NAPLEX/MPJE/All applications). That can vary depending on the program, but for your learning sake, being licensed does make a big difference so you should plan to test as early as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Per ASHP PGY-1 accreditation standards you must be licensed within 90 days of your start date.

Some programs may require intern license before your start date - best to ask whichever program you ultimately match to.

Reactions: 1 users
I would recommend starting a license application for the state you will be practicing in as soon as you know where you will be practicing. This will allow you to complete as many requirements for the state BOP as possible prior to graduation. Some information will not be sent off until you graduate (i.e. proof of intern hours or proof of graduation). Some BOPs take a long time to generate an ATT, such as Texas which does not look at new applications until 3 months after the filing date. So, it’s best to start early!