This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm4646

Reaction score
hi everyone,

I’ve been studying nonstop for my boards, and I can’t help but feel discouraged. I feel like there is so much that I dont know, and I’m not ready to be a resident. I did very well in school and on rotations, but somehow it’s different when you now have to re-memorize everything in a few weeks on top of all the other stress while knowing it all actually matters this time. This has got me feeling I like I’m going to fail during residency, especially since I am in a program that was quite a reach for me. It’s very competitive and I know my co-residents are all very bright and on their A game. I’m feeling under-qualified and discouraged. My RPD seems to be extremely tough as well, and not a very supportive person... which scares me beyond belief. I have worked with supervisors like this in the past and have not done very well. I can take criticism, don’t get me wrong... I know that’s part of the learning process and all. But that’s not how my RPD is... there’s nothing constructive about his critiscism. And I feel like he already dislikes me. Everyone said you can do anything for a year, as long as you’re surrounded by good, supportive people. Now I’m starting to get extremely neevous since I may not be with supportive people.

I’m scared for so much.... having patients lives in my hands, learning how to staff, making friends in a new state, completing research projects, missing holidays while alone in another state, being able to handle the long hours and working 12 on 2 off for the entire year. I’m not sure if I’m cut out for Residency. People keep telling me that I made It through school so I can make it through this, but I know residency a a million time worse. I’m a very hard worker, but idk if I’m ready for this. And maybe it’s the nerves and I’m just second guessing myself, but still....

I am so burnt out and struggling to find motivation. I’ve spent the last 8ish years of my life consumed by pharmacy... being miserable and stressed and having no time for family/friends. I’ve been able to spend a little time with family and friends since rotations ends and its really showed me what I’ve been missing out on.

This has all got me thinking that I regret doing residency. After all, I still have no clue what job I want later in life.

Sorry for ranting, but because all of this, I wake up with knots in my stomach everyday and thinking about starting residency makes me want to puke. I’m so nervous and I cant help but be filled with dread. Im usually a confident person, and I’ve never really had anything scare me too much, so this is all new to me. I wanted to be excited for residency, I really did. And I was excited until recently when I started second guessing everything. Now I cant even talk about it without feeling nauseous and scared. I’m not sure if it’s more so the fear, but I know I need to find a way to change my attitude.

Anyone experiencing similar feelings? Anyone else terrified to start or dreading it? Regretting it? Any current or past residents ever gone through something similar?

Any advice to help improve my outlook or survive these next few weeks and the year ahead of my would be greatly appreciated. I’m already feeling very down, so positive comments only please would be appreciated. Thank you

Sincerely,

Struggling and scared

Members don't see this ad.

I commend you for posting how you're feeling, takes a lot. But I can tell you are a hardworker and give your best effort because you have been studying 'non-stop', gave your best on your rotations, and obtained a residency that you thought was a 'reach'.

Some tips on surviving that I am currently implicating because I am a new graduate studying for NAPLEX and will be transitioning to a resident as well.

1. Work smart, not hard: create a study schedule with the chapters you are going to cover in a particular time frame; focus being on the larger topics such as infectious disease, HIV, oncology, HF, anticoag, etc. Pharmacy overlaps ALOT, so do not worry if you do not hit the smaller chapters. Additionally, I would say dedicate 1-2 hours a day just on calculations. That is a large portion that requires repetition. With all that said, also have your scheduled breaks in between.

2. Keep working: this is completely a personal experience and my opinion. I feel my anxiety subsides when I am working on what is making me anxious. Also, this works in my favor because I am conditioning my body/brain for sitting for the lengthy exam.

3. Utilize other resources: study groups and quizlet which i find SUPER helpful.

4. Retest/Reinforce: take chapter quizzes and focus on things you may overlooked or not absorbed as well. Will easily figure out your weakpoints and areas you need to re-examine.

Best of luck! Stay focused. Do not be discouraged. Have a plan. Execute. Do your best. Keep your head up.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been out of school for over a decade, made a huge career switch and I still don't know what I want to "do in life". I'd like to think that is normal, or at least the case for the majority of people. Most of us who are not narcissists have some degree of Imposter Syndrome.

Breathe. You'll be fine. Your residency (I'm a former preceptor/coordinator) wants you to succeed. They will work with you to make sure that happens. They will help you make and action plan if it seems like you are struggling. They don't want to fail residents or have residents drop out. The most important thing you can do, after passing boards, is to have very good communication with your RPD/preceptors/co-residents. Not every RPD is a warm fuzzy person, mine most definitely was not and made my year harder than it needed to be, but there will be other people who you can have better relationships with.Time/project management is key

If you weren't going into a residency, you'd be going into a pharmacist position - where you'd still have the lives of people in your hands. And there you'd have less oversight by experienced pharmacists and probably less grace too. So you aren't getting into anything worse in that regard, by doing a residency.

Being nervous is normal, find something to help you with that - meditation, mindfullness, therapy, hobbies, etc. I'd wish you luck, but you don't need luck.

can you please update on your experience? how did things turn out?