This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lebanesepharmacist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Urgent question here! I am applying to PGY1 residency programs in the US, however I do not live in the US. I live in Lebanon and did my pharmD there. I am American hence applying to the programs that start in July. The problem is that my school of pharmacy graduation is on July 19 unlike the US which is usually mid-may. I finish my courses and am eligeable for a degree on May 31st. Is it possible to get my official transcripts with degree (or any proof of graduation) after may 31st and before the ceremony to send to the state BOP for them to process an ATT asap then reserve a NAPLEX exam date? I cannot wait till after July to send my transcripts and wait for ATT, it will be too late to be licensed in a specific state and be a resident (they only give 3 months wait period for license). Please, this is urgent, any insights would help!

Members don't see this ad.

Would your school be able to address this question? They may have had others in your situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Urgent question here! I am applying to PGY1 residency programs in the US, however I do not live in the US. I live in Lebanon and did my pharmD there. I am American hence applying to the programs that start in July. The problem is that my school of pharmacy graduation is on July 19 unlike the US which is usually mid-may. I finish my courses and am eligeable for a degree on May 31st. Is it possible to get my official transcripts with degree (or any proof of graduation) after may 31st and before the ceremony to send to the state BOP for them to process an ATT asap then reserve a NAPLEX exam date? I cannot wait till after July to send my transcripts and wait for ATT, it will be too late to be licensed in a specific state and be a resident (they only give 3 months wait period for license). Please, this is urgent, any insights would help!
I doubt the U.S. recognizes foreign PharmD degrees, and your school overseas most definitely hasn’t been accredited by ACPE/AACP. Have you looked into intern hour requirements for foreign PharmD’s prior to sitting for the Naplex?

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt the U.S. recognizes foreign PharmD degrees, and your school overseas most definitely hasn’t been accredited by ACPE/AACP. Have you looked into intern hour requirements for foreign PharmD’s prior to sitting for the Naplex?

Actually my school is the only ACPE accredited school outside the US. It's called Lebanese American University. This isn't the problem right here, the problem is whether I can still be a licensed as a resident on time before september even if I get my degree end of June and start applying for NAPLEX from there! :/

Last edited:
I got an att for Illinois strictly based off my school’s preliminary application before I graduated. Once I passed, I had to submit a new form in order to prove that I actually graduated before they would issue my license.

I also got licensed in another state, they required I wait until I actually get my diploma.

So I guess it depends.

As recommended, I’d ask your school though. They will probably have some insight. I can’t imagine you’re the first to go thru this.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an att for Illinois strictly based off my school’s preliminary application before I graduated. Once I passed, I had to submit a new form in order to prove that I actually graduated before they would issue my license.

I also got licensed in another state, they required I wait until I actually get my diploma.

So I guess it depends.

As recommended, I’d ask your school though. They will probably have some insight. I can’t imagine you’re the first to go thru this.

So Illinois board of pharmacy gave you an ATT before you completed the degree? You submitted transcripts that weren't complete then updated it? I didn't know they would look at your application before it became complete. Thank you! Also, note that I am talking about NAPLEX ATT before licensure, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing since i know they need proof for graduation to be able to give you an ATT link.

So Illinois board of pharmacy gave you an ATT before you completed the degree? You submitted transcripts that weren't complete then updated it? I didn't know they would look at your application before it became complete. Thank you! Also, note that I am talking about NAPLEX ATT before licensure, I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing since i know they need proof for graduation to be able to give you an ATT link.

Essentially, yes. My ATT was granted about 3 weeks before my actual graduation date. But that was Illinois.

One thing to keep in mind, most residencies only mandate you get licensed by~October 1st. Some require sooner as written in their contract.

Essentially, yes. My ATT was granted about 3 weeks before my actual graduation date. But that was Illinois.

One thing to keep in mind, most residencies only mandate you get licensed by~October 1st. Some require sooner as written in their contract.

Do you recommend that I send my documents and apply to a certain state without the degree, then update once I get it? Will they start looking at my application even if it's incomplete? If this expedites the process, I'll do it. Thank you btw, helped alot.

Glad I could help! I’d honestly wait until you know where you match before starting any paperwork, as each state is different. It’s going to depend on where you’ll need to be licensed.

Glad I could help! I’d honestly wait until you know where you match before starting any paperwork, as each state is different. It’s going to depend on where you’ll need to be licensed.

Yes, of course. What I meant is start sending my application documents after the match instead of after graduation. Will this make the process a bit faster?

Hi there,

I recognize this post may be old but I would love the original poster's input. I have a friend in Lebanon (LAU) who has been accepted into a pharmacy residency. He is not a US citizen and we are noticing that institutions are variable in the visa processing steps needed (Naplex and other exams first then visa, or vice versa). I realize the original poster is not on a Visa, but if they can help me get some information from their program's international office, this would be a TREMENDOUS help. Poster can feel free to PM me and we can talk!