Natl Guard OBLC and Lecom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allthequestions

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I wonder if Lecom students can do 3wk oblc instead of an elective in 3rd year? I read on lecom website that students are allowed to take 1 military elective per year. But it does not specify if it has to be a military clerkship or it can be oblc?
I want to sign up for national guard. But next summer I want to do an externship which does not align with June Oblc. And the summer after Ms-2 I want to take the first month (June1-30) as vacation to study for step1/comlex. Is there a solution? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I wonder if Lecom students can do 3wk oblc instead of an elective in 3rd year? I read on lecom website that students are allowed to take 1 military elective per year. But it does not specify if it has to be a military clerkship or it can be oblc?
I want to sign up for national guard. But next summer I want to do an externship which does not align with June Oblc. And the summer after Ms-2 I want to take the first month (June1-30) as vacation to study for step1/comlex. Is there a solution? Thank you.

I have a classmate who did the guard and was able to do BOLC for three weeks this summer. Also, are you an incoming first year? The clinical rotation schedule doesn't align the way you are planning. We started this month on June 6th and go to July 1st. Next year it goes from June 4th to June 29th. It varies year to year so don't plan on being able to have June 1st-30th off. If you are two years out from boards, you don't need to worry about taking that extra month off to study. Most of my class took boards by the 2nd week of June. I took mine May 24th and I didn't need anymore time to study. As long as you start studying early (January or February) you will be prepared.

Basically what I'm saying is don't worry now about when you wanna take boards if you haven't started med school yet.

I have a classmate who did the guard and was able to do BOLC for three weeks this summer. Also, are you an incoming first year? The clinical rotation schedule doesn't align the way you are planning. We started this month on June 6th and go to July 1st. Next year it goes from June 4th to June 29th. It varies year to year so don't plan on being able to have June 1st-30th off. If you are two years out from boards, you don't need to worry about taking that extra month off to study. Most of my class took boards by the 2nd week of June. I took mine May 24th and I didn't need anymore time to study. As long as you start studying early (January or February) you will be prepared.

Basically what I'm saying is don't worry now about when you wanna take boards if you haven't started med school yet.
Yes, I am an incoming first year. So you finished your 2nd year on May13 and you took boards before the start of your 1st clerkship on June 6? What if instead of starting my 1st clerkship I schedule a vacation? Then I can either take OBLC or step1. I think I would always benefit from taking an extra month to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am an incoming first year. So you finished your 2nd year on May13 and you took boards before the start of your 1st clerkship on June 6? What if instead of starting my 1st clerkship I schedule a vacation? Then I can either take OBLC or step1. I think I would always benefit from taking an extra month to study.

Officially I finished my second year May 13th but I was pretty much done at the beginning of April. The last few weeks are review classes that you don't have to attend if you have over a 3.0. So I really had almost 6 weeks of time where I had minimal classes but since I started studying in January I had plenty of time. For right now, I wouldn't sign up/not sign up for NG based on taking that extra month off. You will sign up for boards in November of your second year. You pick your rotation schedule around September so you will know when you should schedule boards. Most of the people I know who took off the first month for vacation did it to get married, have an actual vacation, etc. Very few did it so they had more time to study. Think of it this way: You get a one month vacation in third year and another in fourth year. If you use that vacation month in June to study the whole month, you go a full year before you get another vacation month. Why wouldn't you wanna use that first vacation month for an actual vacation?

Another thing you are gonna realize (along with most of your classmates) is you won't need that extra month to study. You will actually be wanting to take it earlier. I moved my test up a full week from when I originally scheduled it and I wish I could've taken it a week earlier. Every single one of my friends wished they could've moved up their test. You want to be peaking when you take the test since you will be starting to burn out from studying.

Officially I finished my second year May 13th but I was pretty much done at the beginning of April. The last few weeks are review classes that you don't have to attend if you have over a 3.0. So I really had almost 6 weeks of time where I had minimal classes but since I started studying in January I had plenty of time. For right now, I wouldn't sign up/not sign up for NG based on taking that extra month off. You will sign up for boards in November of your second year. You pick your rotation schedule around September so you will know when you should schedule boards. Most of the people I know who took off the first month for vacation did it to get married, have an actual vacation, etc. Very few did it so they had more time to study. Think of it this way: You get a one month vacation in third year and another in fourth year. If you use that vacation month in June to study the whole month, you go a full year before you get another vacation month. Why wouldn't you wanna use that first vacation month for an actual vacation?

Another thing you are gonna realize (along with most of your classmates) is you won't need that extra month to study. You will actually be wanting to take it earlier. I moved my test up a full week from when I originally scheduled it and I wish I could've taken it a week earlier. Every single one of my friends wished they could've moved up their test. You want to be peaking when you take the test since you will be starting to burn out from studying.

wow thanks for that info!