NAVLE prep - VetPrep & Zuku Standard vs Premium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajsmitty

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am in the class of 2019, and it's the last day of the winter sale for Zuku Review (where you buy 6 months and get subscribed through December). VetPrep's similar winter sale ends March 1. There are a lot of posts asking about Zuku vs VetPrep, and which will help you do better, but I am more interested in which interface is for what types of learners. I am more of a visual/auditory learner (just reading text doesn't help too much), so I want to choose the program that is visually stronger and easier to navigate. So any feedback from people who have used these or have seen what each have to offer would be appreciated!

In terms of money, I do want to get the most bang for my buck, and I have heard there is a May sale for VetPrep every year that saves a good amount of money, so I was wondering if previous students can shed more light on that deal and if I should wait to purchase my subscription (probably won't start studying until May or June anyway). Additionally, I was hoping to hear from people that have purchased premium subscriptions to either of the services, and if you thought they were worth it. They give descriptions of what each service's "Premium" subscription entails on the website but I have no way of knowing if those are worth the extra $70-80 when you aren't earning an income.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I used Vetprep premium subscription and passed on my first attempt. Premium subscription gives you lecture and notes, which I found quite useful. I think it's the July sale that I paid 3 months subscriptions and able to use it until the end of the year. I started studying in Oct and focused on the Vetprep materials only, didn't even study my lecture notes.

Do subscript to the questions of the day for both Vetprep and Zuku and see which one you'd prefer. Zuku gives more detailed explanation with link to Merck, I think if you have time, it may be a better choice.

I paid $299 USD in July (the sale went from May 1-July 15), so personally, I wouldn't purchase until then.

I also liked the premium edition since I found the powerlectures to be useful for my weak areas. Ultimately, I don't think the program you use will have much of an impact though so I wouldn't worry too much about the vetprep vs zuku debate. Just study the common topics and you'll be fine.

They will have another sale more towards the summer, like caia said, so if you don't think you would start studying right away (I wouldn't) then you can wait for the next sale. Should be just fine.

Either one will prepare you well, IMO. I did vetprep myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I am in the class of 2019, and it's the last day of the winter sale for Zuku Review (where you buy 6 months and get subscribed through December). VetPrep's similar winter sale ends March 1. There are a lot of posts asking about Zuku vs VetPrep, and which will help you do better, but I am more interested in which interface is for what types of learners. I am more of a visual/auditory learner (just reading text doesn't help too much), so I want to choose the program that is visually stronger and easier to navigate. So any feedback from people who have used these or have seen what each have to offer would be appreciated!

In terms of money, I do want to get the most bang for my buck, and I have heard there is a May sale for VetPrep every year that saves a good amount of money, so I was wondering if previous students can shed more light on that deal and if I should wait to purchase my subscription (probably won't start studying until May or June anyway). Additionally, I was hoping to hear from people that have purchased premium subscriptions to either of the services, and if you thought they were worth it. They give descriptions of what each service's "Premium" subscription entails on the website but I have no way of knowing if those are worth the extra $70-80 when you aren't earning an income.

Thanks in advance!
Zuku advertises themselves as being "for visual learners." I subscribe to both Zuku and VetPrep's daily questions, and as far as I can tell, all Zuku does is send a picture of the disease/pathology/etc they're describing which isn't that helpful if you still don't know the answer to the question being asked. I've been told VetPrep mimics the NAVLE better.
I paid $299 USD in July (the sale went from May 1-July 15), so personally, I wouldn't purchase until then.

I also liked the premium edition since I found the powerlectures to be useful for my weak areas. Ultimately, I don't think the program you use will have much of an impact though so I wouldn't worry too much about the vetprep vs zuku debate. Just study the common topics and you'll be fine.
How long was that subscription good for? I'm told most people start studying in August (and I don't see myself getting a 6 month subscription and trying to start early), so if the timing works out I might wait for that.

How long was that subscription good for? I'm told most people start studying in August (and I don't see myself getting a 6 month subscription and trying to start early), so if the timing works out I might wait for that.

It's good until the end of December so anytime during that sale period would be fine to buy.

I bought Zuku premium and then proceeded to never use any of the premium content. All I did was go through the practice questions and I passed very comfortably. With the minimal amount of time I had for studying during clinics, doing anything other than actual exam practice seemed like poor allocation of my time.

Also, you should spend literally zero time listening to people argue about Zuku vs. Vetprep. There is no fundamental difference between the two and zero data indicating that one is even remotely better than the other. I bought Zuku because the guy who started it gave a good talk at a lunch meeting once.

I did VetPrep. I think I had access to the lectures but honestly can't remember. I saw some Zuku stuff and I didn't like the questions as much, they also provided some ridiculous answers that were clearly wrong, which is funny, but doesn't really help when you're studying for a board exam. Either will prepare you, they're both rather boring.

I bought Vetprep (regular version) when it went on sale in May. The subscription ended on Dec 31. I didn't start studying until September. Passed on first attempt and I think Vetprep did a good job of preparing me for it. I am definitely a visual learner and liked how Vetprep was laid out.

Did not buy any test prep software. Studied from notes and Vet Board Game cards. Passed very comfortably. If I did it again, I'd still use class notes, but more so.
Hi, Good Afternoon, I am trying to study for PAVE, did you have by the chance any notes, that can help me, I am a foreing living in another country, and dont have nothing to start with. Any help or advice I will appreciated.

Thanks
Karen

Hi, Good Afternoon, I am trying to study for PAVE, did you have by the chance any notes, that can help me, I am a foreing living in another country, and dont have nothing to start with. Any help or advice I will appreciated.

Thanks
Karen
Hi Karen, I don't know anything about the PAVE or what it is like, so I'm not sure any notes I have would be helpful. I know there are several PAVE threads on this forum discussing how to study, maybe they can be more helpful?

Hi Karen, I don't know anything about the PAVE or what it is like, so I'm not sure any notes I have would be helpful. I know there are several PAVE threads on this forum discussing how to study, maybe they can be more helpful?
Good morning, Thanks very much for answering, I have to go back and check on it, I think most do the ECFVG!
anything that you can share will be perfect, let me know.

Thanks again!

Hi! Our school cancelled all of our clicinal rotations that were scheduled for this summer. Since none of us can really work/want to work since it’s risky due to this virus, we will have the entire summer free. I won’t be taking the NAVLE until next year, but I wanted to get a head start on studying for it and try to utilize the free time this summer. I have two questions:
-Is VetPrep better? I have heard the navle is more similar to questions from VetPrep.
-Also, can you buy one VetPrep and share it among your friends and that way share the cost? Like you have one person buy it, create one login and then share that login info with your friends and all split the cost so you don’t have to pay the entire amount yourself.

Thanks in advance!

I won’t be taking the NAVLE until next year, but I wanted to get a head start on studying for it and try to utilize the free time this summer

If I'm reading this right, you are a second year, going to be a third year in August, correct?

If that is true, as a current "new" 4th year who is going to take this NAVLE this fall/winter, I would absolutely *not* suggest studying for the NAVLE at your stage. Please, please, please do not study for the NAVLE now if you're a 2nd year.

I bought my Zuku to start prepping for NAVLE this year just a few weeks ago. You havent covered approximately a third of the information that's on the NAVLE, so you will already be at a disadvantage in trying to study with one of the prep courses. You honestly wont be getting your monies worth. It would be much better to save the money for next year and get a prep system then, since you'll have been exposed to all of the information you're going to be reviewing and testing on.

With that said, I dont think you can share a password or login between a group. Both Zuku and VetPrep have an 80% guarantee, where if you complete 80% of their service and fail, they will give you a system free for your retake. Both systems obviously keep track of your progress and what you get right. The system can no longer do that with various people utilizing it. Depending on what type you get, you only have so many full length tests as well. Again, you're better off spending the next year budgeting for whichever one you want, then purchasing it for yourself next year.

And there is no difference between Zuku or VetPrep. I picked Zuku because the regional representative for VetPrep was openly nasty about Zuku and I found it distasteful and poor business practice.

If I'm reading this right, you are a second year, going to be a third year in August, correct?

If that is true, as a current "new" 4th year who is going to take this NAVLE this fall/winter, I would absolutely *not* suggest studying for the NAVLE at your stage. Please, please, please do not study for the NAVLE now if you're a 2nd year.

I bought my Zuku to start prepping for NAVLE this year just a few weeks ago. You havent covered approximately a third of the information that's on the NAVLE, so you will already be at a disadvantage in trying to study with one of the prep courses. You honestly wont be getting your monies worth. It would be much better to save the money for next year and get a prep system then, since you'll have been exposed to all of the information you're going to be reviewing and testing on.

With that said, I dont think you can share a password or login between a group. Both Zuku and VetPrep have an 80% guarantee, where if you complete 80% of their service and fail, they will give you a system free for your retake. Both systems obviously keep track of your progress and what you get right. The system can no longer do that with various people utilizing it. Depending on what type you get, you only have so many full length tests as well. Again, you're better off spending the next year budgeting for whichever one you want, then purchasing it for yourself next year.

Oh, I see I didn’t know about the free retake policy they have. Thank you! Yes I’m going into third year.

I would also caution against starting your navle prep as a rising third year. You won’t retain it and as Batsenecal said, you haven’t the full curriculum of instruction yet. It is not worth the money or time. There will be plenty of study time next year.

Reactions: 1 user