navy hpsp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the academic and physical requirements for the navy hpsp? I am a 5'7 female. please help. If your mcat and gpa scores are lower than the average do u stand a chance???

Members don't see this ad.

Requirements for HPSP.

1) Letter of acceptance to a United States or Puerto Rican College of Medicine (MD or DO)

2) An active pulse

The physical requirements are much more inclusive. You must be within certain weight requirements, have no history of chronic respitory conditions (such as asthma or exercise-induced bronchiospasm) or any other physical conditions that will prohibit you from physical exercise. There's a whole list of junk, too many to write down.

You should also really want to be in the military. I know the medical core is much more laid back than the rest of the Navy/AF/Army, but it is still a big commitment. You will owe a year for every year of school that they pay for, not including residency or fellowships, and they can send you ANYWHERE.
It's a good deal though if you want to go to a really expensive school and want to go into a primary care field, especial one that isn't very deployable (like peds).

Members don't see this ad :)
http://nshs.med.navy.mil/hpsp/Pages/HPSPHome.htm

http://nshs.med.navy.mil/hpsp/pdf/NEW HANDBOOK.pdf

there's lots out there about Navy HPSP. i've been looking at it, too. lots of the people i've talked to say that, generally, if you can get into a medical school, you can probably get accepted to the HPSP. remember that the numbers you read about getting into the program are average numbers. yes, they accept higher numbers, but that means they also have to accept lower numbers to get that average. the navy wants someone who'll be a great officer and physician, not only someone who tested well.

when do you apply for hpsp? do u apply after you apply to med school? Can we wait for the acceptance letter before applying?

i will be applying for the 2005 entering class of med school. i was told by the HPSP people that i could start applying for the program in the fall of 2004, about when the medschool admissions stuff is in full swing. you don't want to apply too late because its the military and takes some time to get everything completed. they can provisionally accept you into the program or something if you haven't been accepted to a medschool yet. but if you've already been accepted to a medschool, then you could definitly be applying.

I am appyling in the Summer of 2004 as well, but I have never heard of starting the HPSP process almost a year before we even apply. I thought you had to have been accepted before you can apply?

well here's an email i got from a recruiter (don't yell yet!)...the recruiter was recommended by a guy currently in the Navy HPSP program on my campus....anyway, here's the whole thing:

---------

Glad you contacted me. You could start applying for the
med school scholarship in the fall of 2004 if you plan
on attending in August 2005. For 2005 scholarships we
start accepting applications in October of 2004. You don't
have to wait for a letter of acceptance from a med school,
we realize that takes time. As long as you have a competitive
profile GPA / MCAT etc. you can submit your application
ASAP. You'll also need to be in good shape and get a physical
exam.

Here's a website regarding Naval Aerospace Medicine: http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/index.htm

If you got accepted to med school, you most likely would get selected for Navy HPSP / med school scholarship.
If you're motivated and physically qualified the Navy is looking for Physicians / Med Students to Volunteer for
Aerospace Medicine, so there would be a good chance of you getting into that field right after med school.

Depends on the service. I think that the AF needs an acceptance first. I know that you can apply for the Army if you meet a certain GPA and MCAT before actually being accepted.