Air Force/Army/Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glock2330

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a senior at a state university currently in the midst of applying to several schools for graduate studies in medical physics, starting in the Fall of 2018. My school of choice (Duke University) has mentioned that many students in the program have accepted HPSP contracts through the Air Force to help pay tuition, which seems a very viable option for me, and the Navy and Army also have careers available in Medical/Radiation Physics. It is my understanding that in order to maximize the chances of being accepted for this program, it is vital to apply early. If anyone could help answer a few questions, I would be very grateful. Namely:

1) Do the various service branches offer conditional acceptance? (i.e. one can get accepted, with scholarship contingent on acceptance into the graduate school program?)
2) What is the proper application timeline for this program? It is currently 23 June 2017, with enrollment in graduate school planned for August 2018.
3) Medical Physics is a 2-year degree program with a 2 year residency afterwards. Would I be applying for the 2-year HPSP or 4 year HPSP in this case?

I understand that the majority of the questions can and should be answered by the recruiter when I go and talk to him/her, but I would like to be as prepared as possible before I meet with anyone.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The Army does not offer HPSP for this particular career field. Not sure about the other two Services...

Generally for HPSP there a couple one size fits all answers:

1. Regardless of the length of the scholarship, plan on no less than three years active duty payback after completing the degree. Everyone signs an eight year contract with the latter (no less than five years) to be spent in the Reserves.
2. Across the board, you would need to contact a Recruiter to get a "packet" together (less your letter of acceptance) starting now. Selections start early.

I can speak to the Army offering "conditional" scholarships in that they allow traditional medical students to be put before the selection board without the LOA, and depending on the undergrad GPA. MCAT scores, LORs, etc. they are allowed to offer the scholarship pending the LOA.

If you should change your mind and want to attend medical school to be a radiologist, the Army does offer that past medical school, and again, I don't know if the other Services do, but I imagine that almost have to.

Reactions: 1 user