NBDE Part 1 experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the NEW NBDE part 1 on Friday 16th 2007 and this is what I can tell you:

1. There is no need to worry about the new format. As all the questions are mixed, there is less strain on your brain whilst you are staring at the computer under surveillance!!
2.Read the dental decks, and you WILL need additional texts and wikipedia!! Especially for biochemistry and understand how the metabolic systems work including enzymes, there is no need to learn every enzyme, just know the MAIN important ones. Understand pathology too in terms of medications, treatments and etiologies for COMMON diseases, this is where the testlets come into full effect. Do the clinical vignettes!! In 2006-2007 decks.
3.Exams, Exams, Exams! Do all of them, I would recommend doing the whole lot that ASDA offers, the newer pilot exam is more like the new format, and there were a handful of questions from the early 1983 papers!
4.Exams, Exams, Exams! Keep doing them and find out why you are getting questions wrong and what you need to read up, in the end it will all add up somehow. There were very many repeats from old papers.
5.Read the question properly in the exam because after doing the practice tests you get very accustomed to just circling the response you remembered from before. They DO change the question and keep the same order of responses.
6.There were some questions in the test that you will not get or just think wtf?? But it’s not that many hopefully, depends on how much you read around on the topic that you are weak on, but do remember you can’t know everything or can you!!??!
7.Total time spent was 2 months and I am a practicing dentist, so study time was difficult. I hope for the best.

I wish everybody the very best in all their endeavors, these forums have been very helpful to me. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for all the information that you gave us during this waiting time,and I wish you the best of luck.
SARA

Hi Jamster,:)

Congratulations on your score! Your score took a long time to arrive - most people say that within about 2-3 weeks, they receive their scores.

Jamster.. I have a question: Following your raw scores... did you make a typo? In the old format (where there were 4 sections and the questions were not mixed up), a score in any ONE subject under 75 would mean that you failed that section and had to repeat it. Also, if your average was less than 75, you had to repeat the entire exam. Your marks are 71, 71, 76, 85 - correct me if i am wrong (or dont understand the marking system for the new format), but your average score is not over 80, and 2 of your scores are below 75. Therefore, how did they grade this and award you with an 87?????? I am a bit confused... are they using a totally different way of grading the papers now?

It would be nice to hear from you - and congratulations again.

Regards,
Calalily...

For everyone who wanted to know:
Comp Score: 87

RAW Scores:
Anatomy: 71
Biochem/Phys: 71
Micro/ Path: 76
Dental Anatomy: 85

To be honest I was a little disappointed, as I thought I would score higher especially on Anatomy and Biochemistry. However I think I can live with my score, as I don

Hi Jamster,:)

Congratulations on your score! Your score took a long time to arrive - most people say that within about 2-3 weeks, they receive their scores.

Jamster.. I have a question: Following your raw scores... did you make a typo? In the old format (where there were 4 sections and the questions were not mixed up), a score in any ONE subject under 75 would mean that you failed that section and had to repeat it. Also, if your average was less than 75, you had to repeat the entire exam. Your marks are 71, 71, 76, 85 - correct me if i am wrong (or dont understand the marking system for the new format), but your average score is not over 80, and 2 of your scores are below 75. Therefore, how did they grade this and award you with an 87?????? I am a bit confused... are they using a totally different way of grading the papers now?

It would be nice to hear from you - and congratulations again.

Regards,
Calalily...

For everyone who wanted to know:
Comp Score: 87

RAW Scores:
Biochem/Phys: 71

To be honest I was a little disappointed, as I thought I would score higher especially on Anatomy and Biochemistry. However I think I can live with my score, as I don

Beat me to it.....:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
THE RAW SCORES ARE WHAT YOU GOT OUT OF 100 PER SECTION. The Comp score is your overall score plus the NEW marking system or bell curve or whatever. The Comp scoring range is 49 to 99. One has to score above a Comp score of 75 to be considered competitive i think. Comp may = competent or competitive??

The marking scheme from before is NOT the same in this exam. It all a new ball game.

The mean of RAW scores for all candidates on my day was:

Anatomy: 66.2
Biochem/ Phys: 64.2
Mirco/ Path: 64.9
Dental Anatomy: 74.6

What i got:

Biochem/ Phys: 71

I hope this helps people. It is not the same marking system as 1998, don't rely on that. My guess, if you mark around 100 questions in the exam then thats probably what you got wrong, from my own exp!!

I think in general you need to get more than 300/400 questions right to get above an 86.

There is also an explanation at the back of your transcript when you get your score. For my score of 87, i fall in the 18.5 percent group who scored between 87-89. That means 18.5% of the people who gave the exam scored between 87-89.

You need to really get your result, it explains it all, lol! it's too much to type.

Jamster :)

hey guys - i'm kinda new here and i ws just wondering where i can get a hold of some old NDBE I exams? thanks

j