NBDE part 1 new format changes will not be scored

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwelee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends
I've found this on the NBDE part 1 guide 2012 page 21 :

"Three new item types are being introduced on the National Board Dental Examinations beginning in 2012. The new item types are multiple correct/multiple response, extended matching, and ordering. For NBDE Part I, a couple of new items in the new format will be introduced solely in the testlet sections of the examination.
Since these items are considered pretest items they will not be scored. However, they will be evaluated for their statistical performance and will not have an impact on candidate's results or pass/fail status."

Does this mean that the wrong answers of these questions will not have an impact on final result? in other words, Can we ignore them?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a question too but regarding the score history. It says :

A complete history of scores will be reported to each state board or other entity
requested to receive scores.
Effective for applications and score report requests submitted beginning January 3,

Does the underlined part means the history of score will be on shown all the candidates even if the exams were taken prior 2012 not after 2012? know what i mean? Imean does it apply to everybody or just the candidates who take test in 2012.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi friends

Does this mean that the wrong answers of these questions will not have an impact on final result? in other words, Can we ignore them?

I believe that you will not be able to tell the diff bw these questions and the actual questions as they will be part of the entire exam. So no, you wont be able to skip them as you will not even know which questions are not graded.

I believe that you will not be able to tell the diff bw these questions and the actual questions as they will be part of the entire exam. So no, you wont be able to skip them as you will not even know which questions are not graded.

Thanks for reply :). But I think we can differentiate these questions from the others since they will be in the New Format "multiple correct/multiple response, extended matching, and ordering" Dont you agree with me?

Thanks for reply :). But I think we can differentiate these questions from the others since they will be in the New Format "multiple correct/multiple response, extended matching, and ordering" Dont you agree with me?

Exactly my thought!! I think it would be quite easy to differentiate these questions from the others simply because they are in a different format. Or maybe JCNDE has some aces up its sleeve?? Maybe it can fit in those questions in the exam without the candidate being able to differentiate.

where can we practice the new item types from?does anyone joined kaplan for nbde part 1 prep?anyone taking test in march?

Exactly my thought!! I think it would be quite easy to differentiate these questions from the others simply because they are in a different format. Or maybe JCNDE has some aces up its sleeve?? Maybe it can fit in those questions in the exam without the candidate being able to differentiate.

Guys, it says in the original statement that A COUPLE of these items are for statistical purposes only. A COUPLE. not all. so no, you will not know which of the New Format questions count, and which ones do not.

Guys, it says in the original statement that A COUPLE of these items are for statistical purposes only. A COUPLE. not all. so no, you will not know which of the New Format questions count, and which ones do not.

What I understood from that statement is a couple of the new items will be introduce in the whole exam, and this couple of items will appear only on the testlets and will be considered for statistical purposes only. So, a couple of the new items will be in the whole exam, not a couple items for statistical purposes only.

What I understood from that statement is a couple of the new items will be introduce in the whole exam, and this couple of items will appear only on the testlets and will be considered for statistical purposes only. So, a couple of the new items will be in the whole exam, not a couple items for statistical purposes only.

The questions are needed for statistical purposes, so they would need to be answered by the candidate based on the fact that they would want a real effort by the candidate. So, only a few of the new format questions will be used in the analysis. Yes they will be in the testlet section, but only a few of those will not be graded. Also, the rest of the exam will be in the new format, they are just telling you basically like all exams there will be some that aren't graded, since they need to know if their format is good or not. If new format for 2012 exams wasn't going to be there then what was the point of Pass/Fail?