NBDE Part 1 Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Essentials

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are no conversion charts released for scoring on the exam, but can someone who has taken the exam give me a rough estimate of what percent correct converts to a score of 75? 80? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I just did the NDB step 1 and this was not my first attempt. Last time, which was last year, raw score was 233 (out of 400), which gave me 74. I honestly don't think I will answer much more than 233. Does anybody knows if this "scale" has changed since April 2010 last year? I mean for 13 months, are students making better where you need to answer for example 250 questions right to get the passing score of 75?
Last time I received the score report in about 13 days or so.. I hope this has not changed this year
Thank you guys

Members don't see this ad :)
This is taken from the ADA instructions, helps a little but is still confusing.

How is the NBDE Part I examination scored? Are the scores based on a curve?
The National Board examinations are criterion-referenced; candidates are not graded on a curve or comparison to others but against a pre-determined standard. A candidate’s score is reported in terms of a standard score (ranging from 49 to 99), which has been converted from the total number of correct answers. The minimum passing standard score on the examination is 75. A candidate whose score is equal to or above a standard score of 75 is deemed to understand important information from basic biomedical, dental, and dental sciences and have the ability to apply such information in
a problem-solving context.

Please refer to the NBDE Part I Guide and Technical Report at www.ada.org for specific details on scoring.

I just got a 90 for the May 2011 testing block. Raw: 322.

I'm curious though, what percentile does a 90 translate to? Anyone know?

Hey Cybermech, when did you appear for your step1 ? I appeared for my step 1 in the 3rd week of May and am yet to get my result? Would you please mind sharing? I await!

2nd week. You should get them soon.

Hey Cybermech, when did you appear for your step1 ? I appeared for my step 1 in the 3rd week of May and am yet to get my result? Would you please mind sharing? I await!

Hi cybermech, CONGRATULATIONS,can u tell me what all material u used for the exam?

Last edited:
Also is there any difference in the level of difficulty of the questions as far as the foreign trained graduates or the students studying in us schools are concerned. Or is usually the same level for all?