NBDE Part 2 short break down....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toyotasupra

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok first off the exam is very much clinical based. There will be a lot of questions with 2-3 correct answers, but only one best answer. But if you are good in clinic you’ll be able to recall the correct way of doing things. I went through dental decks, tufts pharm, and the dental mastery app 1x.

Pharm was pretty easy. I just went through tufts pharm once and basically reviewed the notes I took. I noticed they like to ask questions about beta or alpha blockers and what happens if you give pt too much epi, etc. it’s easy once you go through tufts. Or they’ll ask what drug is better for a pt who has CHF. Know 4.4mg/kg is the rule for lido for kids. Adults are limited by epi. Know how to calculate max dosages. Know the adult/child drug dosages for common antibiotics and analgesics. There was a question on Tylenol 3 and how much codiene is In it. Know tramadol is derived from codiene. Atropine was asked quite a bit on my test too.

Prosth was easy, they asked about dimensions for custom trays and what areas to reduce if pts dentures aren’t fitting properly. Or what happens if there is too much interocclusal space vs not enough. Teeth set too facial vs lingual... basics. Imibition vs syneresis.

Endo, know chelating agents and which removes organic vs inorganic. Know canal space shapes —should be pretty much easy at this point. Filing techs, know gotta percha properties, when to do pulpectomy vs pulpotmy vs apexigenesis, acess shapes, and file tapers.

Operative should be our bread and butter so I’m pretty certain you all will kill this section easily.

Pedo, again pulpotomy vs pulpectomy vs apexigenesis. Eruption dates of teeth, should be easy by now. Know space maintainers.

Perio, is not too bad. They’ll have more specific percentages and stats in this part on which race is more prone for perio or male vs female, etc, but just take your best guess. Maybe two questions on instruments and proper technique angle. Bone graft types and which works best. Flap techniques and how to do them. Pulp and apical diagnosis.

Oral surgery, basics again. Nothing too hard here. Just know alveoloplasty vs ostectomy vs osteotomy. Extraction sequence, which teeth can rotate, mn molars are more efficiently removed when sectioned buccolingually separating mesial and distal roots, 151, cowhorns, suture techniques. Spaces root tips can disappear into.

X-rays are terrible and you can stare all you want. It’ll still be blurry so just follow your gut feeling and choose the best answer.

Overall, I came out feeling the exam was too easy. I was done 2 hours early the first and second day while utilizing all the breaks..... that usually means I selected all the wrong answers and overlooked details in the questions. But 2 weeks later, I passed! So don’t sweat it. There is a reason there are not many study guides on NBDE Part 2. Do the decks, tufts pharm, and mastery app. That’s all you really need in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I studied about 4-6 hrs a day for about 5 weeks.... probably overkill now that I’m thinking about it. 4 weeks is all it really takes, IMO. Also I was scoring 62-65% on the ASDA exams and Unlike NBDE Part 1, I had zero repeat questions. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Ok first off the exam is very much clinical based. There will be a lot of questions with 2-3 correct answers, but only one best answer. But if you are good in clinic you’ll be able to recall the correct way of doing things. I went through dental decks, tufts pharm, and the dental mastery app 1x.

Pharm was pretty easy. I just went through tufts pharm once and basically reviewed the notes I took. I noticed they like to ask questions about beta or alpha blockers and what happens if you give pt too much epi, etc. it’s easy once you go through tufts. Or they’ll ask what drug is better for a pt who has CHF. Know 4.4mg/kg is the rule for lido for kids. Adults are limited by epi. Know how to calculate max dosages. Know the adult/child drug dosages for common antibiotics and analgesics. There was a question on Tylenol 3 and how much codiene is In it. Know tramadol is derived from codiene. Atropine was asked quite a bit on my test too.

Prosth was easy, they asked about dimensions for custom trays and what areas to reduce if pts dentures aren’t fitting properly. Or what happens if there is too much interocclusal space vs not enough. Teeth set too facial vs lingual... basics. Imibition vs syneresis.

Endo, know chelating agents and which removes organic vs inorganic. Know canal space shapes —should be pretty much easy at this point. Filing techs, know gotta percha properties, when to do pulpectomy vs pulpotmy vs apexigenesis, acess shapes, and file tapers.

Operative should be our bread and butter so I’m pretty certain you all will kill this section easily.

Pedo, again pulpotomy vs pulpectomy vs apexigenesis. Eruption dates of teeth, should be easy by now. Know space maintainers.

Perio, is not too bad. They’ll have more specific percentages and stats in this part on which race is more prone for perio or male vs female, etc, but just take your best guess. Maybe two questions on instruments and proper technique angle. Bone graft types and which works best. Flap techniques and how to do them. Pulp and apical diagnosis.

Oral surgery, basics again. Nothing too hard here. Just know alveoloplasty vs ostectomy vs osteotomy. Extraction sequence, which teeth can rotate, mn molars are more efficiently removed when sectioned buccolingually separating mesial and distal roots, 151, cowhorns, suture techniques. Spaces root tips can disappear into.

X-rays are terrible and you can stare all you want. It’ll still be blurry so just follow your gut feeling and choose the best answer.

Overall, I came out feeling the exam was too easy. I was done 2 hours early the first and second day while utilizing all the breaks..... that usually means I selected all the wrong answers and overlooked details in the questions. But 2 weeks later, I passed! So don’t sweat it. There is a reason there are not many study guides on NBDE Part 2. Do the decks, tufts pharm, and mastery app. That’s all you really need in my opinion.

Oh yeah, I studied about 4-6 hrs a day for about 5 weeks.... probably overkill now that I’m thinking about it. 4 weeks is all it really takes, IMO. Also I was scoring 62-65% on the ASDA exams and Unlike NBDE Part 1, I had zero repeat questions. Good luck everyone!

Thank you for sharing your experience! It's very helpful