NC DPT Cycle 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an interview offer from Western!
I did too! Do we select the day we want for our interview? I was confused by that part of the email.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I also received an interview invitation from western! What day do you all plan on interviewing?

Anyone have any insight on how the group interviews are conducted for WCU?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

I also received an interview invitation from western! What day do you all plan on interviewing?
I just got confirmation for Nov. 30th at 1:30pm. The other 2 dates are exam days for me. And I'm not sure about the interview, it seems long to have 3 separate 30 minute group interviews so I have no idea what that will be like.

Did anyone get a confirmation email from Linda? I emailed her on November 1st, but never heard back.

Did anyone get a confirmation email from Linda? I emailed her on November 1st, but never heard back.
Yeah, Linda doesn't usually actually respond back. You should get a confirmation email from Western Carolina University that confirms your interview session. You might have to email Linda again if you don't get this confirmation within a few days.

Has anyone heard from UNC? I’ve heard that people are starting to hear back from some of the other NC schools but have yet to see anyone mention UNC

Has anyone heard from UNC? I’ve heard that people are starting to hear back from some of the other NC schools but have yet to see anyone mention UNC
UNC won't send out their interview invitations until around mid December, and they're planning to have their interview in mid January.

I received an interview invite to Methodist University this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
So did I! Was also waitlisted to Campbell. Haven't heard back from any other schools.
I ended up turning down the invite since I was pulled off the waitlist at WSSU from last cycle and will be starting in January. Winston-Salem is a better location for me than Fayetteville would be. I actually interviewed at Methodist last cycle though, so if you have any questions feel free to DM me.

Just received an interview offer from ECU for December 13th.

aye its litty! And no not at all, I know a girl in my class who had hers during ED i can ask her in detail but she told me it was "super chill" idk what that means im not a huge fan of interviews. Im also gonna try snooping around here to see if i can find anything
I got into duke for ED and the interviews were pretty chill! It is a mixture of group stuff and an individual interview (with 2 different interviewers.) I wouldn’t stress, just be yourself!

I got into duke for ED and the interviews were pretty chill! It is a mixture of group stuff and an individual interview (with 2 different interviewers.) I wouldn’t stress, just be yourself!
Congrats!!!
Do you mind expanding on what kind of group interview stuff occurred? Was the group activities part of the interview process or more to orient potential students and welcome them?

Congrats!!!
Do you mind expanding on what kind of group interview stuff occurred? Was the group activities part of the interview process or more to orient potential students and welcome them?
It was both! You do a group activity not a group interview, the actual interview part is individual. The group activity is part of the whole interview process so they are still observing you and taking notes on how you handle the activity. The activity was basically just a way for them to see how you work in a group, we collaborated on answers to super simple question about random topics lol so seriously don’t stress about the group part.

It was both! You do a group activity not a group interview, the actual interview part is individual. The group activity is part of the whole interview process so they are still observing you and taking notes on how you handle the activity. The activity was basically just a way for them to see how you work in a group, we collaborated on answers to super simple question about random topics lol so seriously don’t stress about the group part.
Awesome! Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to the interview.

Just received an interview offer from ECU for December 13th.
Congrats! I got my interview offer from them today. The email was kind of weird though, it looked like it was a picture of a letter that got copied and pasted into the email :eyebrow:

Hey all!

Just heard from Duke today and I was offered an interview 12/7 and I applied right around the PTCAS deadline for the program. I listed some of my stats below.

Overall GPA PTCAS: 3.49
Science GPA PTCAS: 2.94
GRE: V146 Q149 W3.5
Observation Hours: about 2000 with 4 settings (3 outpatient 1 inpatient)
Athletic Training clinical hours: about 750 hours (3 sites)
LoR: 2 PTs, 2 advisors
Extracurriculars: pre-pt club (member, treasurer, vice president), ex sci club (member), tau sigma honors society (member), national honors society for leadership and success (member), Graduate assistant, worked with the geriatric population for 4 years during undergrad

My GPA's are a little misleading because I am applying with an Associates and Bachelors from two different schools while I am currently working towards my Masters in Athletic Training. I've retaken a few pre reqs too.

I ended up turning down the invite since I was pulled off the waitlist at WSSU from last cycle and will be starting in January. Winston-Salem is a better location for me than Fayetteville would be. I actually interviewed at Methodist last cycle though, so if you have any questions feel free to DM me.

Hello, I have a few questions about methodist university as I have an interview there on 12/7. I tried to message you but the site does not allow me to go on your profile page if you are able to message me! Thanks for the help its much appreciated.

Hey everyone!

Overall GPA 3.7
Science GPA 3.69
GRE: V154, Q152, Writing 4.5
Observation Hours +150 in pediatrics, outpatient, geriatrics, vestibular, and home health
Recommendations: 3 PT 2 professors
Extracurriculars: NCAA DIII Softball, Student Senate, Peer education, Academic Coach, Finance committee member, Hall Council Representative

Applied to: ECU, Methodist, Campbell, Army-Baylor, UNC Chapel Hill
Interviews: Campbell (Waitlisted), Methodist (Dec. 8), ECU (Dec. 13)
Denied: Army-Baylor
Acceptances: None yet

I've never posted my stats, but just wondering how they may compare. Really hoping to get into UNC but will be happy with any acceptances.

Hey! I got an interview invite at Methodist this cycle and had a couple questions, I can't DM you though. Would you mind DMing me? Thanks!

Hey! I got an interview invite at Methodist this cycle and had a couple questions, I can't DM you though. Would you mind DMing me? Thanks!
Hey! For whatever reason, it won't let me DM you either. What are your basic questions?

Hey! For whatever reason, it won't let me DM you either. What are your basic questions?
That's really strange, sorry about that. So I know the basics, that it is 7 questions with 7 interviewers and you have 7 minutes with each (someone must really love the number 7...). What kind of questions do they ask? If you're not comfortable answering that outright, would you mind telling me what topics you would recommend brushing up on before speaking with them? It's going to be difficult making an impression on the committee when you only get 7 minutes with them so I'm freaking out a bit lol

They do 7 separate 7 minute interview. Each interview is conducted on a separate faculty member on a different topic. The questions ranged from things as simple as whether you liked Anatomy or Physiology better and then being asked if you could identify a certain bone to odd questions about identifying items and determining what the item could be used for. There was an out of the box question about how you would get x amount a water if left in a room with 2 different containers of various sizes.

Congratulations on your acceptance, that’s a huge accomplishment!! I was wondering if you have any idea how many spots may be left for regular applicants, maybe if there’s a FB page or something

Did anyone apply to USC(South Carolina)? The email said they will be sending out their first round of acceptances in early December

I just got confirmation for Nov. 30th at 1:30pm. The other 2 dates are exam days for me. And I'm not sure about the interview, it seems long to have 3 separate 30 minute group interviews so I have no idea what that will be like.
How was the WCU interview? What types of questions did they ask? Any tips?

How was it? Mine is next week and the group interviews are freaking me out!!!

How was it? Mine is next week and the group interviews are freaking me out!!!
The group interviews were a bit more nerve racking but just try to relax and be yourself. They will remind you that the interview is not the final say, so try not to work yourself up. The questions are pretty standard, nothing out of the box, things that you have probably prepared. I will say that where you sit matters, if you choose to sit on the end you'll go either first or last so just choose what you think you'll be most comfortable with.

Reactions: 1 users
The group interviews were a bit more nerve racking but just try to relax and be yourself. They will remind you that the interview is not the final say, so try not to work yourself up. The questions are pretty standard, nothing out of the box, things that you have probably prepared. I will say that where you sit matters, if you choose to sit on the end you'll go either first or last so just choose what you think you'll be most comfortable with.

Thank you!

Did anyone apply to USC(South Carolina)? The email said they will be sending out their first round of acceptances in early December
Yes. Last year, letters went out on Wednesday, December 6th. Hopefully you'll hear this week!

Just got invited for Duke Interview day 11/30!

I hope your interview went well and that you loved it! Do you have any tips or anything regarding the interview and overall day? I am interviewing on Friday and I am so excited to see their program. Thank you!!

I tried dming you but couldn't, I was wondering if you knew what WSSU's acceptance rate is? I saw that they don't do interviews so I'm wondering what stats are considered competitive.

I tried dming you but couldn't, I was wondering if you knew what WSSU's acceptance rate is? I saw that they don't do interviews so I'm wondering what stats are considered competitive.
I know for last year's cycle they had over 700 applications and only have 28 seats. It is a January start date program so I feel like a lot of people must of accepted seats and then backed out once they got into other schools. I know several of us were pulled from the wait list. Some were even pulled after me in late September. As far as competitive stats, check PTCAS but realize they also factor in GRE scores (viewed as an indicator for success on the licensing exam), diversity, and economic background. My stats for last cycle were: GRE V: 76%(I think) Q: 39% AW: 4.5 cGPA 3.43 with over 1000 hours of shadowing/volunteering.

I hope your interview went well and that you loved it! Do you have any tips or anything regarding the interview and overall day? I am interviewing on Friday and I am so excited to see their program. Thank you!!

I more than loved it!! They really sold me into their program and i hope that they loved me as well. The faculty, staff, and students were so nice and were all happy to answer any questions that you may have. My advice is for you to honestly be yourself. I did some practice questions but i didn't get asked any of them, just scenario questions. It's a long day so get some rest the night before.

I more than loved it!! They really sold me into their program and i hope that they loved me as well. The faculty, staff, and students were so nice and were all happy to answer any questions that you may have. My advice is for you to honestly be yourself. I did some practice questions but i didn't get asked any of them, just scenario questions. It's a long day so get some rest the night before.
Thank you so much! Did they tell you when you would know by/how many spots were left?

For those who were supposed to interview at Elon on 12/10 and it got moved to 12/17, I emailed Brooke and she told me that we will have a very quick turn around time for admissions decisions and hear before the holiday!

Hi, I have my interview tomorrow and am very nervous! If you don’t mind answering, were they large or small groups? Also, was everyone asked the same or different questions? Thanks in advance and hope yours went well!

Hi, I have my interview tomorrow and am very nervous! If you don’t mind answering, were they large or small groups? Also, was everyone asked the same or different questions? Thanks in advance and hope yours went well!
Don't be! You'll do great! The groups were of about 9/10, pretty large to me, and everyone answers the same question and then different questions in each room.

Don't be! You'll do great! The groups were of about 9/10, pretty large to me, and everyone answers the same question and then different questions in each room.

Different questions in each room, do you mean there are only 3 questions total since there are 3 30 minute interviews

Different questions in each room, do you mean there are only 3 questions total since there are 3 30 minute interviews
Sorry that wasnt clear, everyone will go down the line and answer the same question, and then you will go down the line again and answer different questions in each room. So you will answer 2 questions in each room, 6 questions total.

Sorry that wasnt clear, everyone will go down the line and answer the same question, and then you will go down the line again and answer different questions in each room. So you will answer 2 questions in each room, 6 questions total.
That doesn’t seem too terrible. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
anyone hear from UNC?

Thanks so much for all of the information! I really appreciate it!