NC State University c/o 2027 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCSU CVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Class of 2027 Applicants! This is the Student Services Office for the College of Veterinary Medicine. As you begin the application process, leave any questions you may have here and we will do our best to get them answered. You are also encouraged to review admissions requirements at the NC State CVM web site.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!! I’m wondering how to categorize research under veterinarian, does it count as veterinary experience or research experience? Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!! I’m wondering how to categorize research under veterinarian, does it count as veterinary experience or research experience? Thank you!!
List it under research on the VMCAS application. NC State adds the hours under veterinary experience with the hours under research to apply toward the 200 total hour requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
List it under research on the VMCAS application. NC State adds the hours under veterinary experience with the hours under research to apply toward the 200 total hour requirement.
Thank you!

Hello! Just to verify- the animal nutrition pre-req must be completed before applying?

Hello! Just to verify- the animal nutrition pre-req must be completed before applying?
No, you may have prerequisites in progress.

All but two (2) of the required courses or labs must be completed by the end of the fall semester (FA 22) of the application cycle (2023). The remaining courses or labs must be completed in the following spring semester (SP 23). Required courses or labs can’t be completed in the summer semester (Summer 23) immediately preceding matriculation (FA 23).

This is a TOTAL of 2 (two courses, two labs, or one course and one lab) in separate prerequisites (i.e., Microbiology and Microbiology lab = 1, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics = 2, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics + Physics II Lab = 3).

Here are policies to keep in mind regarding prerequisites before submitting your application to the NC State DVM Program.

1. prerequisites may be completed in a classroom, lab or online at any regionally accredited two-year or four-year college or university.

2. applicants must achieve a C- or better in prerequisite courses.

3. NC State doesn't impose time limits on the age of a prerequisite.

4. If an applicant needs to repeat a course, he or she will have fulfilled the requirement if a C- or higher is achieved when the course is repeated (whether on the second or subsequent attempts).

5. An applicant may not take a repeated course during the cycle. A C- or better must be earned before submitting the application (exception: prerequisite courses not previously taken).

6. Advanced Placement (AP) courses can be used to fulfill prerequisites. The applicant’s undergraduate institution must list the AP course by name (Biology, English, etc.) on its transcript indicating the number of credits granted. AP courses are not factored when calculating grade point averages.

7. All but two (2) of the required courses or labs must be completed by the end of the fall semester (FA 22) of the application cycle (2023). The remaining courses or labs must be completed in the following spring semester (SP 23). Required courses or labs can’t be completed in the summer semester (Summer 23) immediately preceding matriculation (FA 23). This is a TOTAL of 2 (two courses, two labs, or one course and one lab) in separate prerequisites (i.e., Microbiology and Microbiology lab = 1, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics = 2, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics + Physics II Lab = 3).

Hi! I’m planing to submit my VMCAS on August 15th and I’m wondering that to get access to the NCSU supplemental application, do all three of my recommenders need to submit the letter by August 15th? Or I can get the access as long as one of them submit the letter? Thank you so much!

Hi! I’m planning to submit my VMCAS on August 15th and I’m wondering that to get access to the NCSU supplemental application, do all three of my recommenders need to submit the letter by August 15th? Or I can get the access as long as one of them submit the letter? Thank you so much!
It is our understanding that you will need to have at least three (3) letters of recommendation submitted to reach the "verified" status.

I understand the competition for OOS seats is higher than that for in-state. How many OOS applicants are offered admission to fill one of the 20 seats?

Hello,
Is there a document you can share that breaks down the OOS class profile so applicants can gauge whether they will be competitive?
Thank you.

The letter of recommendation requirement mentioned 2 of the 3 letter should come from veterinarian or PhD I’ve “worked”. Will it be okay if is was shadow/volunteer instead of work? Also, I volunteered with one of my recommender who was a veterinarian in South America and come to the U.S to do research. He is now a PhD student but not a PhD scientist. So I’m wondering should I listed him as my evaluator? Thank you so much!

I understand the competition for OOS seats is higher than that for in-state. How many OOS applicants are offered admission to fill one of the 20 seats?
It has ranged from 30-45 offers for the available non-resident seats. An additional 55-65 applicants receive waitlist letters.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
Is there a document you can share that breaks down the OOS class profile so applicants can gauge whether they will be competitive?
Thank you.
We don't have the data ready yet for the Class of 2026. Our Class of 2025 data can be found here. You can also view our FAQ Page for helpful information.

The letter of recommendation requirement mentioned 2 of the 3 letter should come from veterinarian or PhD I’ve “worked”. Will it be okay if is was shadow/volunteer instead of work? Also, I volunteered with one of my recommender who was a veterinarian in South America and come to the U.S to do research. He is now a PhD student but not a PhD scientist. So I’m wondering should I listed him as my evaluator? Thank you so much!
Yes, it is fine to have volunteered or shadowed with a veterinarian or scientist. You may use either as a reference.

What's the range of the number of offers/waitlists made for the 80 in-state seats? Thank you!

What's the range of the number of offers/waitlists made for the 80 in-state seats? Thank you!
We make 75-80 offers for the available resident seats. An additional 25 applicants receive waitlist letters.

Back when the GRE was reviewed/accepted, what was the average GRE of those students? I understand the scores have not been sent to NCSU since the 2021 cycle.

I know the amount of course load also taken into account during the admission process, so is it recommended to explain why I only took 12-15 credits course work each semester instead of more in the explanation statement? Also, if I took a few prerequisite in an foreign institution instead of my primary college, should I also explain it? Thank you so much!

I know the amount of course load also taken into account during the admission process, so is it recommended to explain why I only took 12-15 credits course work each semester instead of more in the explanation statement? Also, if I took a few prerequisite in an foreign institution instead of my primary college, should I also explain it? Thank you so much!
A fulltime course load in undergraduate studies is 12 credits or more. There is no need to elaborate in the explanation statement. There is also no need to explain taking courses internationally if it was part of study abroad. If it's for another reason, you may want to explain that.

A fulltime course load in undergraduate studies is 12 credits or more. There is no need to elaborate in the explanation statement. There is also no need to explain taking courses internationally if it was part of study abroad. If it's for another reason, you may want to explain that.
Thank you!

No, you may have prerequisites in progress.

All but two (2) of the required courses or labs must be completed by the end of the fall semester (FA 22) of the application cycle (2023). The remaining courses or labs must be completed in the following spring semester (SP 23). Required courses or labs can’t be completed in the summer semester (Summer 23) immediately preceding matriculation (FA 23).

This is a TOTAL of 2 (two courses, two labs, or one course and one lab) in separate prerequisites (i.e., Microbiology and Microbiology lab = 1, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics = 2, Microbiology and Microbiology lab + Statistics + Physics II Lab = 3).
Hello! NC is the only school I am applying to that requires animal nutrition and I will need to take it at an outside institution. Will I know if I am accepted/denied before the start of Spring 2023 semester?

Hello! NC is the only school I am applying to that requires animal nutrition and I will need to take it at an outside institution. Will I know if I am accepted/denied before the start of Spring 2023 semester?
We discourage the practice of waiting on a decision letter before enrolling in this required course because we can't guarantee our projected timeline. We currently have the potential of 2800+ applications for this cycle.

(Plz let me know if this is not allowed and I will delete it) I submitted my VMCAS but still waiting for one of my recommender to submit the LOR, so I’m not able to access NCSU’s supplemental application. Could anyone who has the access tell me how many essays we have this year? Is it 3 or 6? Thanks in advance:)

(Plz let me know if this is not allowed and I will delete it) I submitted my VMCAS but still waiting for one of my recommender to submit the LOR, so I’m not able to access NCSU’s supplemental application. Could anyone who has the access tell me how many essays we have this year? Is it 3 or 6? Thanks in advance:)
Wait a sec so we have to submit our vmcas first and THEN do the supp app for NC? Oh goodness thanks for the post!! :’)

There are three (3) essays this cycle.

Wait a sec so we have to submit our vmcas first and THEN do the supp app for NC? Oh goodness thanks for the post!! :’)
FYI - This email has been sent to the 2800+ applicants who are listed as "In Progress" in VMCAS.

The supplemental application is now available.

Applicants gain access after submitting their VMCAS application (Status: Complete, Received and/or Verified) and after NC State loads the application from VMCAS into its admissions software. We have loaded the first group of verified applications.

Please note the following important update about the NC State supplemental application deadline:

WAS September 30, 2022 at 1pm EDT

NOW September 26, 2022 at 1pm EDT

We wish you all the best in the 2023 admissions cycle.

I transferred schools mid-way through my undergrad. In my first college, every science lecture came with a lab section attached as a single course. The second college lists the lecture and lab separately. Should I expect to send my syllabus to NC State at the time of my application? Will NC State reach out to clarify that I did take the required science lab courses?

I transferred schools mid-way through my undergrad. In my first college, every science lecture came with a lab section attached as a single course. The second college lists the lecture and lab separately. Should I expect to send my syllabus to NC State at the time of my application? Will NC State reach out to clarify that I did take the required science lab courses?
It is okay that some courses will include the lecture and lab as one course and others will be two separate courses. Please list the courses as they were taken so the match the institution where you took the course. There is no need to send a syllabus to NC State. We will request one if necessary.

If we plan on taking animal nutrition next year, can we just mark that part of the application as “I am not matching any courses to this prerequisite” ?

I am wondering how much does the "up to 5 most important experience" weighted in the admission progress? I highlighted 4 experience before I submitted my application, according to VMCAS, "after submission, you may select additional experiences as most important up to the maximum but may not remove previously-designated experiences." So I tried to highlight my 5th experience after my VMCAS is submitted and accidentally highlight a wrong experience which cannot be "un-highlighted". I am wondering should I send an email to NCSU and explained the situation?

If we plan on taking animal nutrition next year, can we just mark that part of the application as “I am not matching any courses to this prerequisite” ?
In the past, applicants have marked fall courses as "in progress" and spring courses "as planned." If you are unable to do that, just indicate “I am not matching any courses to this prerequisite."

I am wondering how much does the "up to 5 most important experience" weighted in the admission progress? I highlighted 4 experience before I submitted my application, according to VMCAS, "after submission, you may select additional experiences as most important up to the maximum but may not remove previously-designated experiences." So I tried to highlight my 5th experience after my VMCAS is submitted and accidentally highlight a wrong experience which cannot be "un-highlighted". I am wondering should I send an email to NCSU and explained the situation?
The NC State DVM Program doesn't utilize a weighting system for the admissions criteria. All experiences will be reviewed by the committee. There is no need to email our office.

The NC State DVM Program doesn't utilize a weighting system for the admissions criteria. All experiences will be reviewed by the committee. There is no need to email our office.
Thank you so much for your reply! (especially it's Labor Day! Thank you so much for your hard work!!!!

Hi! I am wondering will a phd student be considered as a "phd scientist" to use for letter of recommendation? I searched on google but it shows multiple answers. It will be awesome if you don't mind clarify it. Thank you so much!

Hi! I am wondering will a phd student be considered as a "phd scientist" to use for letter of recommendation? I searched on google but it shows multiple answers. It will be awesome if you don't mind clarify it. Thank you so much!
We are looking for an individual with an earned degree. However, the LOR is still acceptable as we prefer that two of the three letters come from doctors with whom you have worked. You, as the applicant, have to decide if the graduate student offers a good perspective based on your working relationship.

If I did not put supervisor's contact information for one of my extracurricular experience. Should I email the admission office about it? Thank you!

Hi! I am filling out my pre-requisites on VMCAS and I'm not able to mark animal nutrition as "in progress/planned" because my current school does not offer any equivalent course - I will be taking it online at a different school in the spring. Should I just mark that I'm not matching any course to this pre-requisite? I don't want to give the impression that I won't meet the pre-reqs! Thanks!

If I did not put supervisor's contact information for one of my extracurricular experience. Should I email the admission office about it? Thank you!
No, you don't need to contact us with that information. We will reach out to you if necessary.

Hi! I am filling out my pre-requisites on VMCAS and I'm not able to mark animal nutrition as "in progress/planned" because my current school does not offer any equivalent course - I will be taking it online at a different school in the spring. Should I just mark that I'm not matching any course to this pre-requisite? I don't want to give the impression that I won't meet the pre-reqs! Thanks!
If you can't designate it as "in progress/planned," just indicate that you are not matching the course. Any applicant who meets all admissions requirements and doesn't have three or more prerequisites outstanding in the spring semester/quarter will remain under consideration.

VMCAS application deadline
September 15, 2022 at 11:59pm EDT

NC State supplemental application deadline
WAS September 30, 2022 at 1pm EDT
NOW September 26, 2022 at 1pm EDT

We wish you all the best in the 2023 admissions cycle.

If we get accepted and still have outstanding prerequisites, is there a minimum GPA that we must achieve to keep our seat in the class?

If we get accepted and still have outstanding prerequisites, is there a minimum GPA that we must achieve to keep our seat in the class?
Admitted applicants must achieve a C- or better in prerequisites (completed or outstanding).

How many in-state applications were received this year?

Received a Kira talent interview invitation last Friday. Will it be all video based response or there will be written response? Thank you!

Received a Kira talent interview invitation last Friday. Will it be all video based response or there will be written response? Thank you!
Applicants will answer with video responses.