Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
NCSU c/o 2017 applicants!
Started by Katie8
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Thanks! 🙂 you are my new best friend 🙂👍
I feel like getting in good with foxhunter would have helped me into one of those 20 OOS seats...
I feel like getting in good with foxhunter would have helped me into one of those 20 OOS seats...![]()
Yes, I hope so! Last name is Portela Foxhunter and I hope I get to be a part of this awesome class 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I hope so! Last name is Portela Foxhunter and I hope I get to be a part of this awesome class 🙂
You do realize I am joking.
You do realize I am joking.
Of course 🙂 just send me some good vibes...I'll take all the positivity I can get 😀
Of course 🙂 just send me some good vibes...I'll take all the positivity I can get 😀
MLD, are you IS?
MLD, are you IS?
yes I am, and anxiously awaiting my decision letter 😕
MLD, are you IS?
yes I am, and anxiously awaiting my decision letter 😕
What about you? IS or OOS?
yes I am, and anxiously awaiting my decision letter 😕
What about you? IS or OOS?
im OOS. currently waitlisted...hoping that will change 🙄
Well, I am going to stay on with my nutrition class and see it through. This year is a new year , and even though that little letter says that no one got off of the waitlist for c/o 2016 things change.
Waitlisters--let's keep hope alive!
Waitlisters--let's keep hope alive!
Well, I am going to stay on with my nutrition class and see it through. This year is a new year , and even though that little letter says that no one got off of the waitlist for c/o 2016 things change.
Waitlisters--let's keep hope alive!
I don't know if this happened to you or anyone else, but I got an email today saying that they used the Resident template for my notification letter - so they actually accepted 11 OOS people from the waitlist last year; it was the IS waitlist that no one was accepted from.
So there's a bit of hope! 🙂
That makes more sense, Leanne. Just looking at the stats slides was a little confusing to me, because the OOS offer/accept numbers weren't the same, but the IS ones were.
I think that for many of the OOS offers, they will have many offers of schools to choose from, because if they look good to as competitive a program as NCSU, then they will look good to many schools. As for IS people...can you imagine turning that deal on tuition down?
I'm accepted at NCSU and have 4 other acceptances right now, so if I'm typical of an OOS NCSU acceptance offer, the math looks pretty good for the waitlisters.
I'm not certain where I'm going yet, so I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, though
🙁
I think that for many of the OOS offers, they will have many offers of schools to choose from, because if they look good to as competitive a program as NCSU, then they will look good to many schools. As for IS people...can you imagine turning that deal on tuition down?
I'm accepted at NCSU and have 4 other acceptances right now, so if I'm typical of an OOS NCSU acceptance offer, the math looks pretty good for the waitlisters.
I'm not certain where I'm going yet, so I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, though
🙁I don't know if this happened to you or anyone else, but I got an email today saying that they used the Resident template for my notification letter - so they actually accepted 11 OOS people from the waitlist last year; it was the IS waitlist that no one was accepted from.
So there's a bit of hope! 🙂
Yes, I got it too!!! 11/50 is not too shabby! Definitely not losing hope yet.
Yes, I got it too!!! 11/50 is not too shabby! Definitely not losing hope yet.
Spirits went way up when I saw that number 🙂 We have a shot 🙄😍
I got that email after I posted, haha!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Told you guys not to give up! 😀
Does anyone know what the time frame for making your decision would have to be? Let's say you hadn't heard anything by April 15, and you sent your deposit somewhere else, then got an acceptance off the waitlist... Would you have to say 'yes' on the spot in order to take it? I'd want to at least take a quick trip to go check it out...
I am just wondering because I've never actually visited the school, since they don't interview. I also would feel really bad about submitting a deposit somewhere and then changing my mind, but I'm sure this happens sometimes, right?
This is all really hypothetical... seeing as we're unranked I have absolutely no idea whether I have a real chance at this point or not. But I'm not totally familiar with the admissions-shuffle.
I am just wondering because I've never actually visited the school, since they don't interview. I also would feel really bad about submitting a deposit somewhere and then changing my mind, but I'm sure this happens sometimes, right?
This is all really hypothetical... seeing as we're unranked I have absolutely no idea whether I have a real chance at this point or not. But I'm not totally familiar with the admissions-shuffle.
Does anyone know what the time frame for making your decision would have to be? Let's say you hadn't heard anything by April 15, and you sent your deposit somewhere else, then got an acceptance off the waitlist... Would you have to say 'yes' on the spot in order to take it?
I know it's happened to at least one person...someone who had been waitlisted at Tufts, but still didn't know where she wanted to go when they took her off (she had also been admitted to UF), so she ended up paying both deposits so she could have more time to choose.
I'd want to at least take a quick trip to go check it out...
I am just wondering because I've never actually visited the school, since they don't interview. I also would feel really bad about submitting a deposit somewhere and then changing my mind, but I'm sure this happens sometimes, right?
This is all really hypothetical... seeing as we're unranked I have absolutely no idea whether I have a real chance at this point or not. But I'm not totally familiar with the admissions-shuffle.
This is the problem I am having, as well. Wondering if I should visit soon or wait until after I get off the waitlist (if that ever happens to be the case...)
Last edited:
On the one hand, I'm anxious to visit and see it, because it sounds awesome... on the other hand, I've already used a lot of travel-days away from work/money this year, and I don't want to set myself up for disappointment if I don't get it!
On the one hand, I'm anxious to visit and see it, because it sounds awesome... on the other hand, I've already used a lot of travel-days away from work/money this year, and I don't want to set myself up for disappointment if I don't get it!
I was contemplating trying to match google images with google earth for my own virtual tour

I was contemplating trying to match google images with google earth for my own virtual tour![]()
Hahahah... very resourceful.. or stalk-y. But I like it?
Want me to wander through and take some photos?
Here's what I can say- small animal hospital is HUGE and AMAZING.
Equine hospital is nice, but small.
Research building is brand new and awesome.
Classrooms are kinda old, but functional and comfortable in my opinion.
There is a coffee shop and small cafeteria on campus.
The library and study rooms are fantastic.
The campus is gorgeous.
TAU (teaching animal unit) is a really cool concept/I think the students tend to like those days.
Here's what I can say- small animal hospital is HUGE and AMAZING.
Equine hospital is nice, but small.
Research building is brand new and awesome.
Classrooms are kinda old, but functional and comfortable in my opinion.
There is a coffee shop and small cafeteria on campus.
The library and study rooms are fantastic.
The campus is gorgeous.
TAU (teaching animal unit) is a really cool concept/I think the students tend to like those days.
Want me to wander through and take some photos?
Here's what I can say- small animal hospital is HUGE and AMAZING.
Equine hospital is nice, but small.
Research building is brand new and awesome.
Classrooms are kinda old, but functional and comfortable in my opinion.
There is a coffee shop and small cafeteria on campus.
The library and study rooms are fantastic.
The campus is gorgeous.
TAU (teaching animal unit) is a really cool concept/I think the students tend to like those days.
Pictures would be nice! 😍
In the mean time, I will try to imagine what
andAMAZING
look like 😎fantastic

This is why we like TAU:
😍
More helpfully, though, I agree with Foxhunter's summary. You get really sick of the lecture rooms and the anatomy lab is FREEZING, but beyond that, no real complaints about our research/teaching/clinical facilities. Oh and the Terry Center totally is FANTASTIC and AMAZING. It's brand new and beautiful... so much nicer than what they had before. 😀
😍
More helpfully, though, I agree with Foxhunter's summary. You get really sick of the lecture rooms and the anatomy lab is FREEZING, but beyond that, no real complaints about our research/teaching/clinical facilities. Oh and the Terry Center totally is FANTASTIC and AMAZING. It's brand new and beautiful... so much nicer than what they had before. 😀
Last edited:
Awwwww kids! Love the pic.
More pix plz? Of classrooms and the hospital and such? 🙂?
More pix plz? Of classrooms and the hospital and such? 🙂?
Awwwww kids! Love the pic.
More pix plz? Of classrooms and the hospital and such? 🙂?
Procrastinate during lunch? Suureee! I private messaged you. 😀 If anyone else wants a link, just say so. I'll add some pictures of the hospital area (what I can take pictures of) and parts I missed later this afternoon.
Foxhunter can probably give you a better tour of the research building, though.
Procrastinate during lunch? Suureee! I private messaged you. 😀 If anyone else wants a link, just say so. I'll add some pictures of the hospital area (what I can take pictures of) and parts I missed later this afternoon.
Foxhunter can probably give you a better tour of the research building, though.
I'd love some too!
I'd love some too!
me too, please!
Procrastinate during lunch? Suureee! I private messaged you. 😀 If anyone else wants a link, just say so. I'll add some pictures of the hospital area (what I can take pictures of) and parts I missed later this afternoon.
Foxhunter can probably give you a better tour of the research building, though.
I'd like a link, too, if you don't mind, 🙂.
Thank you!
This is why we like TAU:
![]()
😍
More helpfully, though, I agree with Foxhunter's summary. You get really sick of the lecture rooms and the anatomy lab is FREEZING, but beyond that, no real complaints about our research/teaching/clinical facilities. Oh and the Terry Center totally is FANTASTIC and AMAZING. It's brand new and beautiful... so much nicer than what they had before. 😀
Baby goats!! I need someone to want to go out there with me. I want to go, but not by myself.
Anyway if anatomy weren't freezing it would smell 100x worse.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Trilt you the best
I'm IS and anxiously awaiting March 15th. I have already been accepted to L.S.U. and have been designated as a OOS non-sponsored alternate at CSU. I've interview at Ohio but am still awaiting a decision. I'm holding out for N.C.S.U. as its my number one choice!
Foxhunter would you please send me the pictures as well? I will send you a private message.
To all of the other North Carolina applicants good luck! The wait is agonizing...
Foxhunter would you please send me the pictures as well? I will send you a private message.
To all of the other North Carolina applicants good luck! The wait is agonizing...
D
deleted497320
Can you please post some on the thread? 🙂Procrastinate during lunch? Suureee! I private messaged you. 😀 If anyone else wants a link, just say so. I'll add some pictures of the hospital area (what I can take pictures of) and parts I missed later this afternoon.
Foxhunter can probably give you a better tour of the research building, though.
Yes - I called/emailed, and was told this from Jeff:Has anybody heard anything about the DVM/PhD applications?
A letter hasn't been sent yet as you are still under consideration in the DVM/PhD combined program pool.
Decision letters will be mailed to combined program applicants as soon as the review process is completed.
I appreciate your patience with this process.
Has anybody heard anything about the DVM/PhD applications?
Yes - I called/emailed, and was told this from Jeff:
A letter hasn't been sent yet as you are still under consideration in the DVM/PhD combined program pool.
Decision letters will be mailed to combined program applicants as soon as the review process is completed.
I appreciate your patience with this process.
I know at least one student is interviewing today and tomorrow (free lunches FTW), and at least one next Thursday/Friday. That being said, they may still interview a few more students (last year they interviewed 5 total).
Oh, ok. Thanks for the info! If I may ask, how did they notify you about an interview invite?I know at least one student is interviewing today and tomorrow (free lunches FTW), and at least one next Thursday/Friday. That being said, they may still interview a few more students (last year they interviewed 5 total).
Oh, ok. Thanks for the info! If I may ask, how did they notify you about an interview invite?
I got a phone call last year. Don't know about this year
Does NCSU have an accepted/waitlisted students informational weekend like some other schools (ex. Cornell)?
They do for accepted students. I don't think it's for the waitlisted students though. You can always email Jeff Huckle and ask.Does NCSU have an accepted/waitlisted students informational weekend like some other schools (ex. Cornell)?
Thanks for the info, orcagirl!
I have another question: Since OOS waitlisted students are unranked how are they chosen if a spot opens up? Is each person reevaluated when someone gives up a spot or are we picked out of a hat?
Just curious.
I have another question: Since OOS waitlisted students are unranked how are they chosen if a spot opens up? Is each person reevaluated when someone gives up a spot or are we picked out of a hat?
Just curious.
Thanks for the info, orcagirl!
I have another question: Since OOS waitlisted students are unranked how are they chosen if a spot opens up? Is each person reevaluated when someone gives up a spot or are we picked out of a hat?
Just curious.
If it's the same as in the past, they replace people with similar people to maintain the class diversity- aka a small animal person drops, they put another small animal person in, zoo out, zoo in, whatever. However it wouldn't be a horrible question for you to ask the school for clarification. 🙂
Got an email that the accepted welcome day (or whatever it is called) will be April 5th, which seems in line for past years. Any advice on what to do with the Saturday from current students? I was thinking of checking housing options out.
Also, any current students want to put up two lovely people for a night or two? 😀
Also, any current students want to put up two lovely people for a night or two? 😀
If it's the same as in the past, they replace people with similar people to maintain the class diversity- aka a small animal person drops, they put another small animal person in, zoo out, zoo in, whatever. However it wouldn't be a horrible question for you to ask the school for clarification. 🙂
Oh man, now instead of just hoping someone drops, I have to hope someone with the same weird background/undecided career goals as me drops?! AHHH

Got an email that the accepted welcome day (or whatever it is called) will be April 5th, which seems in line for past years. Any advice on what to do with the Saturday from current students? I was thinking of checking housing options out.
Also, any current students want to put up two lovely people for a night or two? 😀
So last year the open house was that Saturday (it's April 27th? this year). I think some of the 2016ers might be planning a picnic type get together, but I'm not positive. Checking out housing is ALWAYS a good option if you are seriously considering the school. I didn't have a chance to come back so I chose from the places I visited and did everything by email/mail.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know at least one student is interviewing today and tomorrow (free lunches FTW), and at least one next Thursday/Friday. That being said, they may still interview a few more students (last year they interviewed 5 total).
Do you know whether DVM/PhD applicants are considered for the DVM or PhD program separately if they are not accepted into the dual degree program?
Do you know whether DVM/PhD applicants are considered for the DVM or PhD program separately if they are not accepted into the dual degree program?
From my limited knowledge, I think that you are still considered for the DVM program. It would be my guess that you aren't still considered for the PhD program that year. I too know you can apply for the PhD program after starting your DVM program.
Do you know whether DVM/PhD applicants are considered for the DVM or PhD program separately if they are not accepted into the dual degree program?
They are considered for just the DVM program. I know I did not get a letter with the regular OOS acceptances, but someone else who interviewed already had an acceptance. If that makes sense.
I'm sure it's been answered, but I wanted to hear from the OOS c/o 2016 or thereabouts. It's not hard to get IS status after year one, is it?