Ncsu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karazy

UC Davis Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard ANYTHING??!! I know OOSers are supposed to hear mid-Jan. It's killing me. I can't take it. I'm obsessed with all forms of mail. It's not healthy. At all.

Members don't see this ad.

Not a drop - though I am IS.

:( *craaaazy*

I don't know! I'm applying DVM/PhD and heading out there for an interview next week. Any thoughts about the campus, things to see, people to meet, special strengths or weaknesses?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, good luck hoodle! I went to NCSU for undergrad and loved it there. The Vet School is just down the street from main campus, and it's a good one. :) I can't answer a tonage of questions about it since I obviously am not in school there, but I can give you places to eat, go out, etc if you need any!

SillyFilly - I'd love to know what you thought of the general area - I'm an east-coast and west-coast kind of girl, and I'm a little nervous about the south... what do you think of the research triangle? My SO would be going to UNC-Chapel Hill for graduate work- what's the commute like between the two schools? what do you think about general quality of life in the area?

Chapel Hill is about 30-ish minutes from the vet school - more depending on traffic. Traffic can get bad between the two during work commute hours. Chapel Hill def. has a very "college town" vibe where Raleigh is pretty urban. It's really nice - it's a pretty safe place (though there are sketchy neighborhoods [I've lived in some ;)]) but it's really cool. There are "familyish" parts of town, a more college area, and a great down town with fun things to do. I'm not in school now, so I can go out and about any day of the week and find great things to do. Cost of living is not too bad, and the weather's great - except in the depths of the humid summer!

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

Not a drop - though I am IS.

:( *craaaazy*

For in-staters: the past two years, my friends and I didn't hear anything from them until early-to-mid March (although they usually send out at least one round of rejection letters before then...)

I'm a UNC-grad, and although I don't have any fond memories of NCSU, I certainly miss Raleigh. It's a GREAT place to live. Good luck, I know how much the wait sucks! :)

For in-staters: the past two years, my friends and I didn't hear anything from them until early-to-mid March (although they usually send out at least one round of rejection letters before then...)

I'm a UNC-grad, and although I don't have any fond memories of NCSU, I certainly miss Raleigh. It's a GREAT place to live. Good luck, I know how much the wait sucks! :)

Sadly, I know this well - but that certainly doesn't mean I am patient!

:)

No more hating on the south.

Who's hating on the south? Some of the most charming people I know are southern. :)

A lot of people I know really like living in the Raleigh area. Of course, Chapel-Hill is great. And I've also heard good things about Cary, but I think that's maybe more a family-suburbs type of place. Personally, 4 years in Durham was enough for me and I didn't apply to NC-State because I didn't want to go back to the area. But I may be an odd-ball in that way. (Also, I wouldn't have been able to sing my fun anti-NC-State cheers anymore. Couldn't have that. ;))

I love Raleigh and NCSU. Got my undergrad degrees there.

I'm getting out of the north as soon as possible. :D

SillyFilly - I'd love to know what you thought of the general area - I'm an east-coast and west-coast kind of girl, and I'm a little nervous about the south... what do you think of the research triangle? My SO would be going to UNC-Chapel Hill for graduate work- what's the commute like between the two schools? what do you think about general quality of life in the area?

I went to school in Durham, so although I don't know much about NCSU, I can tell you that the Research Triangle is pretty cool. It is actually considered one of the most well-educated parts of the country and is overall (especially Chapel Hill) pretty affluent (except for shady parts of Durham).

Outside of Durham, I'd say quality of life seems pretty high. (The problem with Durham is a whole different issue). There's a lot to do in the area, for example I've seen Broadway traveling companies in Raleigh, and I know there are several zoos in the area. Also, NC isn't like the characterizations of the south. People aren't hicks; in my experience they are generally friendlier and more easy-going than East Coast northerners. It's a great place, so good luck with your interview and also good luck to everyone waiting to hear back from NCSU!

I lived in the Raleigh-Durham area for 7 years. 4 in Durham (near Chapel Hill) and 3 in Raleigh, fairly close to the vet school and NCSU in general. (I lived in south Raleigh near Cary.) I think it's a great area. The only reason I wasn't excited to go back there for vet school is that is too far for my parents to travel at this point in their lives. Knoxville was the halfway point between Raleigh and my parents house, so now I live a lot closer to them!

Anyway, there's plenty to do in the Research Triangle. It's a pretty urban area and draws a lot of very smart people to the three major universities. There are a lot of transplants from all over the country to work and go to school there. If you have any specific questions--especially about being out of undergrad for a few years and living there, feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other OOSers hear anything yet? I really want to drop this Comparative Nutrition course if I didn't make the cut.

Any other OOSers hear anything yet? I really want to drop this Comparative Nutrition course if I didn't make the cut.

Lol, I FEEL your pain, I was in the same situation a year ago (ended up dropping the course, thankfully, in the end) :D

:laugh: I hear ya. I'm desperate to figure out if I really have to take Microbio...

Yeah, I hear you. But I am convinced that the Animal Nutrition requirement for NCSU is a scam to get an extra $800 from you. :mad:

I just found out that I am on the OOS waitlist. There are about 34 people on the waitlist and they generally acept aorund 8 from the OOS waitlist. just sharing the information for anyone out there whao is OOS and still waiting to hear. also the letter came ot my permanent home address. I have a lot of family in NC. I think i am going to send a coverletter requesting to stay on on the waitlist and am going to visit the school during their open house on March 25, so i can make an informed decison if given the option. good luck. and congrats to those of you that were accepted

Congrats Polo Vet--I hope you make it. Im soooooo jealous. I applied to NCSU 2 times. If I go carribean, they are my first choice clinical site.

can anyone who knows give me a little bit of what's so great about ncsu cvm? sell me on it.

can anyone who knows give me a little bit of what's so great about ncsu cvm? sell me on it.
Justs my opinion, but it really depends on your area of interest. If your interested in oncology, internal medicine, anesthesia, pain management, behavior or public health (toxicology, FDA, CDC stuff like that), than NCSU is a great school. The Center for Pain Management is (for lack of a better descriptive word) "The BOMB". The analgesia/anesthesia research that comes out of NCSU is what every one waits for with baited breath every time the large conferences come around. Their oncology and surgery departments see a huge referral of cases from the southeast coastal area. Behavior department is very good, one of the only ones on the east, so they get quite a case load. If fish medicine is your thing, they have a good program for that too, which is weird not being on the coast but thats what I overheard. Cant comment too much on LA, thats not my thing.

Community wise, the Raleigh/Triangle area is a great place to live. Lots to do, within driving distant to beaches, historic sites, ect...but also has rural areas so Im sure LA opportunites exist.

This is just my take from stuff Ive heard from doctors and with personal experiences with referring clients. You should check out their website..its pretty interesting.

You may want to post this (or search for previous thread) on the vet forum (vs pre-vet) and see if any current students have an opinion.

just to update instaters waiting to hear from NCSU- i got an email today saying they had received my three LORs (um, yeah?) and that they would be sending out decisions "soon."

if that helps...

I got the 3 LoR confirmation email too, but mine said nothing about decisions at all, much less soon! Interesting...I sure hope it IS soon!!

It was actually 2 emails. I responded to the LOR one and asked if they wanted me to do anything or if they were just "keeping me informed," that's when they said "You should hear from us soon regarding the admissions process."
When is that??

Eek, I am IS and did not get that LOR email - but I know they had to get them...

Whew, got the email just now... So worried, because this was why I didn't get in last time (let's just say it was a technicality that PhDs who were also my adviser but I did research with didn't count...)