Nebraska Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not to change subjects or take 'the spotlight' off UNMC but do people who get placed on the waitlist at Crieighton 'earlier' get an advantage over late comers when it comes time to give seats out? or do interview scores??? If any, GPA scores , MCAT scores affect placements.
Creighton does not disclose rank...but there has to be a way seats are given out as they become available? Anyone with an experience with Creighton's waitlists?

Members don't see this ad.

Timmy,
I got off the waitlist at Creighton last year. If you want to go to Creighton, just show interest. Send letters of intent/interest and call Dr. Nipper (Dean of Admissions - he has open door on Thursdays). As for the comparison between Creighton and UNMC, from what I've heard about UNMC is that it's pretty cut throat. I heard that for every class, 20% of the class has to fail and that there is always a cutoff (just what i've heard....). At Creighton, that is not the case at all, they want everyone to pass the class. If everyone passes, they are happy. We do not try to fail a certain number of people every time. As for the competitiveness, there really isnt any. Of course, there are gunners, but you are gonna have that everywhere. Because of the fact that there is no quota for the number of people that have to fail a class, it's pretty laid back here in my opinion. The two things I'd give UNMC a leg up over Creighton is is the tuition and research. Tuition is alot cheaper and they do a ton more research.

Jetson

Jet915 said:
Timmy,
I got off the waitlist at Creighton last year. If you want to go to Creighton, just show interest. Send letters of intent/interest and call Dr. Nipper (Dean of Admissions - he has open door on Thursdays). As for the comparison between Creighton and UNMC, from what I've heard about UNMC is that it's pretty cut throat. I heard that for every class, 20% of the class has to fail and that there is always a cutoff (just what i've heard....). At Creighton, that is not the case at all, they want everyone to pass the class. If everyone passes, they are happy. We do not try to fail a certain number of people every time. As for the competitiveness, there really isnt any. Of course, there are gunners, but you are gonna have that everywhere. Because of the fact that there is no quota for the number of people that have to fail a class, it's pretty laid back here in my opinion. The two things I'd give UNMC a leg up over Creighton is is the tuition and research. Tuition is alot cheaper and they do a ton more research.

Jetson
thanks Jets
I got on creighton's waitlist late in the game (2 weeks ago) thats why ive been kinda worried sick and wondered how the list is handled. I just got back from creighton today...went to see my summer lab mentor about prob working for him again this summer pending news on my status on the waitlist and I stopped breifly to see Dean Nipper in his new office in the basement. He suggested I hold on for the May 15th roller coaster as things would move quickly...even though he said I should not drive myself knots by expecting news around the 15th, basically the rate of movement is unpredictable.
I will send a LOI next week before the May 15th date, see if it helps. Appreciate you advice!
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what kind of GPA/MCAT that out-of-staters need to be granted an interview at UNMC?

Fusion said:
Anyone know what kind of GPA/MCAT that out-of-staters need to be granted an interview at UNMC?

Good ones...no I don't really know.

Seriously though, if you don't have connections to the state, don't bother applying.

Actually UNMC accepts a certain number of out-of-staters each year, to get the exact numbers you can call GIGI in the adcom office. She is very helpful. Of course you need to have strong app.

Timmy, I am on the w-list at CU, the chances are not the best since CU has a LOOOOOOONG waiting list. As far as I know most people who get off the waiting list do interview early, the later you interview, the later in the pile you end up. Do you have any other possibilities?

BTW, The post earlier by RAILWAY- I am not in med school (but have been accepted). My cousin graduated from UNMC and he had a very similar view of UNMC or NMC as it is now called. That is also why I decided not to attend Nebraska. CU on the otherhand is very laid back however it is also very $$$ and I dont want to spend that much $$$ to live in Omaha. Anyway, If nothing happens at CU by May 15 - I will remove myself from the waiting list and probably attend Duke or Michigan.

My profile:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=1700

Pre-Med-Guru said:
Actually UNMC accepts a certain number of out-of-staters each year, to get the exact numbers you can call GIGI in the adcom office. She is very helpful. Of course you need to have strong app.
[/url]

yes I do know UNMC does accept quite a few out of state residents. However, I'm assuming the above poster is planning to apply to several school, and just may want to think about apply to Neb's state school. Apply to Creighton instead

FiveForFighting said:
yes I do know UNMC does accept quite a few out of state residents. However, I'm assuming the above poster is planning to apply to several school, and just may want to think about apply to Neb's state school. Apply to Creighton instead

I was actually considering applying to both :) . According to the MSAR, the ratio of applied/interviewed for out-of-state applicants at UNMC is pretty decent, statistically speaking. Plus, they don't used cutoffs, per se. But with that said, I am sure out-of-staters need to be pretty strong applicants to get an interview. I was just curious if applicants needed to have ties to the state or if UNMC will interview someone who has never even been to Nebraska.

I'd save the money and apply to CU...

don't use cutoffs (wink wink nudge nudge)

Anyone else heard from Creighton or UNMC lately?

I've heard people getting off w-list from Cu and UNMC last week. According to the office lady all decisions relatintg to MAY 15 will be mailed out this week. Less movement this year so far at UNMC according to my roomate. Lady at CU said it has been slow. Larger chance to get off waitlist at UNMC then CU.

Sorry Pre-Med Guru, but I didn't follow your post at all. You think its more likely to get off the waitlist at UNMC? You believe all of the waitlist decisions will be mailed out for UNMC this week? I talked to the Creighton dean last week, and he said the majority of their waitlist decisions won't be made until mid June.

crazygal said:
Sorry Pre-Med Guru, but I didn't follow your post at all. You think its more likely to get off the waitlist at UNMC? You believe all of the waitlist decisions will be mailed out for UNMC this week? I talked to the Creighton dean last week, and he said the majority of their waitlist decisions won't be made until mid June.

yes, less people on UNMC w-list and they tend to move through their 1st q by May 15. I removed myself 2 weeks before may 15. Last year they grabbed a few heads from the rejection list. I've heard 7 got in, friend of my roomate is on adcom, I give him merit.
q2 Yes, this is what I heard from the lady in the office at UNMC.

On CU, well they are slow, what can I say, very characteristic of a Jesuit school, G-town, loyola.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying UNMC is on q2 or they will only get through q2? Are you originally from Nebraska?? Where will you be attending next year? Thanks premed guru!

crazygal said:
Are you saying UNMC is on q2 or they will only get through q2? Are you originally from Nebraska?? Where will you be attending next year? Thanks premed guru!

They should be on q2, and now it all depends on how many people didnot want their slots. I am pretty sure UNMC will go through the 2q, they always have (past 4 years at least).
I am from Nebraska going to DUKE, still on the w-list at CU,

Pre-Med Guru, I pmed ya!

crazygal said:
I'd say Dean Nipper's right on when he says that most of the decisions on alternates are not made till mid-June. The last time I talked to him.,..about 2 weeks ago he told me not to sit by the phone around May 15th as things wont start moving for a while. Creighton always has a good waitlist movement, even though its slow like Premedguru said but I'd stay optimistic about your chances for now. I prob will start getting worried around the end of JUne if i dont hear anything. It might be a good idea to send an LOI if you havent...I hear interest/intent might be helpfull ( :thumbup: SDNer Jet915)
The SDN waitlist assistance thread has someone coming off the Crieghton's waitlist early June and I know a couple of guys at CUMC who got off in July last year. Good luck!!!

I got off the waitlist at UNMC on Tuesday...the letter was dated Monday. I was in the 1st quartile. Thank god this is all over!!! :)

Congratulations!!! :D Must be a great relief!!

thats how the waiting game goes...long periods without new updates. Hey crazy gal, did you say the admissions office at creighton went on vacation a couple of days ago....do you know if they were back yet?

UNMC is not thru the first quartile...I'm still waiting.

Does anyone have a clue how far UNMCs waitlist had moved last year at this time? The Gurus post and 5forfighting post are conflicting can anyone strengthen one of their posts. Lets get the LIST MOVIN' NOW :thumbdown:

I would be interested in the answer to this as well. I'm crossing my fingers for the both of us Subscapularis! Also, to whoever asked, I believe the Creighton Admissions committee isgoing / went on vacation the last week of May and the 1st week of June. Hope that helps!

Crazygal,

Do you know if CU have started to move their list yet. Are they waiting after they get back from vacation.

If it has moved, it hasn't been very much or fast. Dr. Nipper told me the office would be entirely closed for a two week vacation and they would then reconvene for a week and start making calls of the waitlist in mid-June.

Today is Monday, May 24 I am on the first tier waitlist at UNMC. I received no mail today, thus I am still on the UNMC waitlist.

If I might ask, what were some of your guys stats if possible. I'm applying next year to UNMC and taking the MCAT. I currently practice as a PA in northern Nebraska. MCAT/GPA etc. Thanks...

Today is Tuesday, May 25 I am on the first tier waitlist at UNMC. I received no mail today, thus I am still on the UNMC waitlist.

Thank you FiveForFighting, keep us updated. I hope you get in soon. BTW do you or anyone know how much the w-list had moved last year at this time..

Last year UNMC had gone through their 1stq by middle of may, and 2ndq by end of may. Everyone was in around July. The people who got in off the rejection list found out end of JULY. Hope that answers your q Subscapularis.

PMG, Are you saying that last year UNMCs waitlist moved much more, since we are at the end of may and UNMC has not gone through the the 1st quartile. Where are you getting your numbers from?

Nope nada. I'm begining to wonder if the cherry bomb I placed in my mailbox upset my mail carrier. No mail these past three days. I at least get a new credit card application every other day, how else am I suppose to buy these expensive clothes and the new Jaguar in the garage?

Today is Thursday, May 26, 2004. My mail carrier delivered me my BGE electric bill, a Fleet Capital One credit card application, and the weekly grocery store advertisements.

In addition, I received a letter from UNMC taking me off the waitlist and putting me into this year's class. I was in the first quartile of the waitlist. WHOO HOO! The letter was dated May 21, it was postmarked May 24 (I live in Maryland).

So no more updates from me. I hope those of you waiting receive good news soon.

Congrats five for fighting!!! So there is some hope for those of us in the 3rd Q....cross your fingers for me!

Anyone out there in the second Q of UNMC so we can determine where the list is at??

Yes subscapularis, UNMC moved much faster last year. One year they move ALOT and the next year not at all. Good Luck getting in!!!!!!!! You have any other options

bump once again.... i know someone must have info....premed guru??

Does UNMC really have a 2q!!!!I dont think it exists. I know of one person who got a letter on monday, she was on the 1q. GURU call your peeps at UNMC at let us know.

I am from out of state and I was interviewed at UNMC with a very average MCAT and GPA. I did get in this year, but last year Gigi told me that the reason I wasn't accepted was that I was not from Nebraska.

nope, none.....anybody know anyone in the 2nd Q?

Hi! I just found this post. I am also in the 3rd quartile on UNMC's wait-list. I called my interviewer to ask him if he knew exactly what my chances of acceptance were. He said that he couldn't give me exact numbers, but it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and start working on my application for next year. I don't know anyone in the 2nd quartile either, but all those from the first-quartile that I know have gotten acceptance letters.