Nebraska Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Chicadehuskers,

When did you call your interviewer? Recently?? Did he say "it couldn't hurt to reapply" as a hint that UNMC won't make it through the waitlist or just as a backup plan? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Gigi Rogers will not be in until 15 of June the same holds for Jackie O'Hara.

crazygal-
I'm not sure. I took it to mean that he didn't want to get my hopes up...but I didn't want to pry. I talked to him last week. I also am trying to schedule an appointment with Gigi to discuss my file, but like someone else said, she is out of the office until the 15th. Maybe I will know more then. The pessimist in me wants to say that my interviewer probably wouldn't have told me to start working on my application if he thought I was going to get in. However, the optimist in me says that he didn't tell me to SUBMIT my application! It's hard to say!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody 100% sure they will be starting at UNMC in August?

Hey all... I was on the alternate list at Creighton until June 4th, that's when I got the call. :) I'm in the 3rd quartile at UNMC, and I know FOR CERTAIN that they are in at least the 2nd quartile of the alternate list (long story, but suffice it to say I work at UNMC). Anyway, good luck everyone!

Hey OmahaMX80,

Thanks for the info! I am on both CU and UNMC's (3rd Q) lists still....I just hope I hear from one of them soon so I can have some solace :rolleyes:

Where did you do your undergrad??

I did my undergrad at Creighton, which is probably why I got accepted there. lol I know a few people here at the med center who are pretty confident that they're going to make it into the 3rd quartile to fill the class... so, we'll see! What about you, where did you do undergrad? Major? I majored in computer science.

This is just a general comment... as far as being told that reapplying isn't a bad idea by someone at a given medical school... I wouldn't read too much into it. Dr. Nipper told me the same thing when I visited him in May, and then CU accepted me June 4th. I think they just say that because until the acceptance is actually sent, they don't want to lead anyone on. I think no one wants to make promises they may not be able to keep. I had already started updating my AMCAS from last year and rewriting my PS when I got accepted to MCW, and then Creighton came a month later. So, hang in there, take action as if you aren't going to get in and then be pleasantly surprised when you do. :D

Hey Omaha,

I did my undergrad at CU as well....Exercise Science/Biology...I pmed ya as well!

That's awesome, I graduated in 2002... so I'm a couple years removed.

Post something people. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
any of you omahaers interested in hanging out some weekend? which bars do you guys frequent to?

if i'm out, i'm either at billy frogg, the underground, or the dubliner downtown.

Hey,
4th year Nebraska Wesleyan in Lincoln

Heh, I'm in Norfolk, NE practicing as a PA and applying to medical school at UNMC and Creighton this fall. Any good suggestions out there from people already gone through the process?

LJoo83 said:
any of you omahaers interested in hanging out some weekend? which bars do you guys frequent to?

if i'm out, i'm either at billy frogg, the underground, or the dubliner downtown.

Bars, man, you gotta go to the clubs!

I haven't been to that newer club in West Omaha... I hear it's kind of hoity toity...

Nico...I've been there!!! You just have to be in the mood to dance :)

I talked to Gigi this morning, so they are really back.

so is it best just to sit and wait right now?? Nebmuse, did you have any specific questions for Gigi? Are they willing to disclose where they are at in terms of tiers? Thanks!

I spoke to Gigi yesterday, she said 2nd tier, but wouldn't be any more specific.

Nebmuse said:
Anybody 100% sure they will be starting at UNMC in August?

Yeah, I'll be starting in August. I was in the 1Q.

Go with what OmahaMX80 said. I called for something unrelated to the wait list, but she did say that they are still getting withdrawals.

crazygal said:
Nico...I've been there!!! You just have to be in the mood to dance :)

Yeah, I've been there once. It was a Friday night though and they were playing techno (not a fan). I heard they play hip hop on Saturday's though right???? Maybe I'll go on a Saturday........

Spoke with GIGI this morning, they are in the 2nd q as OMAHA MX80 said, and the list has been moving more the last couple of weeks than in May. She also said that compared to last year, this year is moving a bit slower.
Spoke with Denise at CU, she told me not much movement yet, they are expecting a big move at the end of June.

Move those lists, BTW Omaha MX80 are you gonna go to CU or UNMC if you get into both.

Anyway, I am back from Cali for some CWS action :laugh:

Thanks Subscapularis!! I am in the exact same boat as you....best of luck to ya!! Are you gonna hit up the free concert at the CWS tonight?? I'll be there!

...I definitely like CU better but UNMC would be so much less expensive and it's not like I dislike it by any means. If it happens I'll figure it out but right now I'm just counting my blessings to have gotten in anywhere.

Might be at the concert, gonna get some ribs at Mckennas and drink some NU brew then we will see what happens.
Anyway, congrats to everyone getting in off-the waitlists, and lets get everyone else who are LISTED....IN...........

Hi everyone,

This is random a random question I guess, I'm moving from out of state to UNMC in August, and I'm wondering if I should bring a bike with me...

Are there good places to mountain bike/just get fresh air in general, or am I just asking to get creamed by a car?

thanks for any advice...

...yeah, bring your bike. There are places to ride, a number of bike trails and such.

cool. thanks for the reply.

...and, welcome to Nebraska! :)

Do any of you happen to have Gigi Rogers' email address?

Solaar said:
Hi everyone,

This is random a random question I guess, I'm moving from out of state to UNMC in August, and I'm wondering if I should bring a bike with me...

Are there good places to mountain bike/just get fresh air in general, or am I just asking to get creamed by a car?

thanks for any advice...

what are you planning to do during winter then?

Fusion said:
Much appreciated :)

no problem... Hope everything turns out well for you. :)

LJoo83 said:
what are you planning to do during winter then?

I guess when it snows, I'll have to walk or drive (until I find some sno-tires for my bike :D ) I mean, I'm bringing a car too, but I just figured whenever possible, I'd prefer a bike and some fresh air...

I didn't know they made snow tires for bikes. :D

sure won't be skiing.

I don't know if you all are still trying to monitor where UNMC is in their waiting list, but I talked to Gigi this afternoon about something unrelated. She said that they are still about half-way through the second quartile. There has not been a lot of movement in the past couple of weeks, but there may be soon. She wouldn't be surprised if they moved into the third quartile by the middle of July.

Hey all,

I'm another 3Q at UNMC. That's cool that Gigi's keeping us posted. Anyone have any idea how many folks are in a quartile?

df

Probably 10-15. UNMCs list has not really been moving that much this year, it is moving on very very slowly. I have heard from people at UNMC that they are lucky if they get through the 2Q.
Lists allover the US have been moving very slowly, Schools that are known for their big movements just haven't had them, and we are really getting to the end of the season. Even CU which is considered a "mover" is just not happening.

Good Luck

Thanks, Guru. Hopefully they'll get through the 2Q and then some. :)

'Nother question - Would it be a good idea to start the paperwork for financial aid before finding out if you get accepted? I'm just afraid that time/money will run out for late filers. Gigi said that a couple years back they notified some guy on the waitlist that he was accepted on the first day of classes. Don't know if he had to just cut a check for tuition or not. . .

df

I would get as much of the financial paperwork done as you possibly can.

Good luck.

I'm not sure who pre-med guru has spoken too, but my sources have seemed confident that UNMC will get to the third quartile by mid July and may even approach the 4th by August. It seems there has been a steady stream of withdrawals in the last couple weeks...now we just have to wait for the turnover time. I'm in the 3rd Q and hoping to attend....good luck to all!!

CRAZY - you ROCK!!! I really like your sources, that would be very very nice.
I hope they go through the 4th q in August. :) :clap:

who else has new news???

Now another really important question...for those attending UNMC, where are you living?

I'm in & I'm excited!! I will be attending Creighton this fall & I couldn't be happier!! All of a sudden, the sun has come out & the roses are growing around my feet. Life is happiness indeed!! Best Wishes to you all!! May God bless you as He has blessed me in your medical school matriculation process!! Take care!!