necessary to pay ABR fees so early on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreakFlag

spiral of silence
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the point of paying the $600 ABR fee as a pgy-2? i heard you could defer payment to subsequent years...but it's unclear to me whether this ends up being more expensive (e.g., if there a penalty fee added on).

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

you can wait until later to pay, there is no penalty, you just need to remember to register before you take your boards. i think the deadline for taking the boards is september the year before, and if you pay a $400 late fee, you can register upto october.

i am just doing it now to get it out of the way. things might get hectic later.

I believe this fee schedule was brought about in part because residents were complaining about the massive fee RIGHT before boards. This was supposed to spread out the costs to ease the financial burden. I don't think they are enforcing (as nod wrote) as long as the entirety of the fee is paid by the deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no 'punishment' fee for signing up later (like the following year), but the fees go up every year. For instance, next year's PGY2s will pay a higher amount (eg $600 x 4 years) than this years (who pay $589 x 4 years). So it's a little more expensive to wait. And of course there's a massive 'late fee' if you sign up after the end of September or so (but don't hold me to that deadline!)