Need advice: ACOM or LECOM-B?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jdubbss21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all, I am in the lucky pickle to have to decide between these two schools. Both have their advantages:

ACOM - Brand new, great facilities, awesome faculty. They also have some faculty and the neurospine institute where there are neuro DOs, which was my major in college. And, although they are new they have established sites through a previously set up program. Yet they are still new with a curriculum having no scores to back it up.

LECOM - Great, established school. It is also only about an hour from my house. I like the idea of PBL as long as I can force myself to do the work. I can't argue with the results. People sometimes complain about the rules and atmosphere though.

After costs, books, etc. the difference is only ~8k so that's not really an issue.

Sorry for the long post but I have been stressing over this for a while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would pick LECOM solely based on it being so close to home but that may not be a big factor for you. Maybe try exploring their websites and rotation sites some more.

The curriculum is a pretty big factor. Read the thread about PBL at LECOM-B and decide if it's right for you.

I have IIs to both places and haven't interviewed yet but I know the biggest thing for me will be to compare their teaching styles.

Members don't see this ad :)
The title says it all, I am in the lucky pickle to have to decide between these two schools. Both have their advantages:

ACOM - Brand new, great facilities, awesome faculty. They also have some faculty and the neurospine institute where there are neuro DOs, which was my major in college. And, although they are new they have established sites through a previously set up program. Yet they are still new with a curriculum having no scores to back it up.

LECOM - Great, established school. It is also only about an hour from my house. I like the idea of PBL as long as I can force myself to do the work. I can't argue with the results. People sometimes complain about the rules and atmosphere though.

After costs, books, etc. the difference is only ~8k so that's not really an issue.

Sorry for the long post but I have been stressing over this for a while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

LECOM is established while ACOM is only in the beginning steps of demonstrating it's superiority. (Forgive me, I might be a little biased).

If you like the idea of PBL, by all means go for it. Just make sure you're motivated.

I've heard things about LECOM as well...but you can't believe everything you hear.

If it matters, Dothan is an hour and a half away from Tallahassee, the closest "city." Whereas Bradenton is near the Tampa Bay area and Orlando.

I'd choose (and likely will choose) ACOM. Though Bradenton is close to family and the metropolitan areas, Dothan is close to the 'Noles. PBL sounds great and most schools that teach that way do very well on boards, however, it's really all up to the individual if they want to succeed in either case. I'd prefer to have lectures because thats the way I've been doing it for my entire educational career. I think the idea of being part of a developing school has a lot of promising aspects, although it's inherently understandable why someone would be hesitant to attend one. I don't know anything about LECOM's rotational sites, but I do know that AMEC has been around for a number of years and hosts more than 7 different DO schools' 3rd and 4th year students. They're also starting to expand the range of their rotational sites.

Do you plan on moving if you went to LECOM? Because a one hour move might as well be a ~6 hour move since the hardest parts are packing and unloading. The difference between driving 1 and 6 hours is equal to the price of gas.

OP I would say LECOM. Nice, cheap education, close to home, has a GREAT reputation for getting people where they want to and last but CERTAINLY not least the third floor is clown themed...

in this situation, LECOM. cheap, pbl is great, you wont have to be on campus much you will be doing most of the work. great match list. More established. I say lecom. newer schools have a lot to proove

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm really leaning towards LECOM, can't go wrong with the price and scores. Any other perspectives?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm really leaning towards LECOM, can't go wrong with the price and scores. Any other perspectives?

I shadowed under a doctor who has work with both LECOM med students and those who graduate from there, and he said they tend to have a reputation tagged to them, and not necessarily a good one. He also said the LECOM students he has worked with are great, but we should all know how people refuse to let go of stigmas and preconceptions. So in either case, being ACOM or LECOM, you are really going to have to prove yourself in terms of work ethic and ability.

I shadowed under a doctor who has work with both LECOM med students and those who graduate from there, and he said they tend to have a reputation tagged to them, and not necessarily a good one. He also said the LECOM students he has worked with are great, but we should all know how people refuse to let go of stigmas and preconceptions. So in either case, being ACOM or LECOM, you are really going to have to prove yourself in terms of work ethic and ability.

Did he say what type of reputation? And I'm sure some doctors have good/bad experiences with students from all schools so there's not much I can do to control that. Like you said I'll just have to make a good impression, which I need to do anyways. I was asking more about the academic program and the opportunities each school will provide.

"reputation" Now im not saying were the best med students on earth or anything but A) every school will have a certain set of idiots. So there will be some instances. and B) Lecom students actually have a GREAT reputation out on clinical rotations. We are extremely professional and have H&P drilled into us from day one. So, I would not be worried about our preparedness on clinical rotations.

like I said though, there are certain students at every school which just stink. Can't help that.

Did he say what type of reputation? And I'm sure some doctors have good/bad experiences with students from all schools so there's not much I can do to control that. Like you said I'll just have to make a good impression, which I need to do anyways. I was asking more about the academic program and the opportunities each school will provide.

It's not a bad rap per say, and from what I was told, it was that LECOMers need to be monitored or spoon fed. He also said that was untrue of almost every LECOM student he's worked with, but like it's been said, a few bad apples can ruin the bunch. More than anything else, it's just good to be aware and not be blind-sided by stuff like that. LECOM is a great school with great opportunities, so it would really come down to which one is the better fit in terms of your learning style. A new school is always a bigger risk and it doesn't have as many resources, though ACOM does already have it's rotation sites established. I personally think that LECOM will give you more opportunity in being so close to Tampa, Orlando and Miami which are all booming in medicine right now.

you need to decide if the curriculum and the environment (rules rules rules) of LECOM are right for you. For many people, the professional dress code (except after 5:30 PM, weekends, and OMM), the snack/beverage ban, and of course the PBL, can be difficult to adjust to.

I don't really mind the rules. Food can wait since we're not really in class much and there's plenty of water fountains. As for the dress code were gonna be wearing it for the rest of our lives so might as well get used to it now haha. The more I think about PBL, the more and more I think I'll do well in it, provided I can motivate myself.

It's looking more and more like LECOM for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I had that decision, I would go with ACOM. After going to the Open House at LECOM-B and Interviewing at ACOM, I got the overall better feel at ACOM. ACOM had better facilities, and the staff/faculty seemed much more genuine. Plus, trying to move my family, Dothan had a much cheaper cost of living and housing. (and ACOM didn't have the creepy, clown-themed, third floor!)

Reactions: 1 user
If I had that decision, I would go with ACOM. After going to the Open House at LECOM-B and Interviewing at ACOM, I got the overall better feel at ACOM. ACOM had better facilities, and the staff/faculty seemed much more genuine. Plus, trying to move my family, Dothan had a much cheaper cost of living and housing. (and ACOM didn't have the creepy, clown-themed, third floor!)

Cajun I was hoping to see you around here, I was the one who sat next to you at ACOM. In response to your post though, as you might remember I have no wife/kids of my own and my family is all located about 1 hour 15 minutes from LECOM, so our geographical motivation is slightly different.

I also had a really good experience with the faculty on interview day, I was able to stay later and speak with someone who coached me through what to write on my letter of intent after looking through my file, which I believe really got me accepted.

As for the clowns I'll be sure to send pictures. You can scare your daughter with them if she gets out of line. :p

I've never heard of any place not allowing water. That's absurd.

Does it help keep cleaning costs down or something?

I think that's the reasoning behind it and the no food. But considering how little I'm going to be in class it's not a deal breaker for me.

If you are interested in OMM go ACOM. Their director, Dr. Thompson, is amazing. Like, seriously gifted with the stuff.

Lecom is more established and cheaper....

I've never heard of any place not allowing water. That's absurd.

Does it help keep cleaning costs down or something?
As someone who medically needs to have access to at least a bottle of water, this is what turned me off from the school after I interviewed.

I'm sure if it's a medical requirement, they would make an exception. After all it's illegal to unacommodate people with special needs.
I know that, but I didn't enjoy the thought of being singled out among others for the luxury of drinking water know what I mean? It just seemed a little petty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free