Need advice and help to get into dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist786

Reaction score
Need advice. I have an engineering degree and now in Barry Masters Medical Science program trying to get into dental school. I need advice

1. Undergraduate Engineering Overall GPA: 2.90
Graduate school Medical Biomedical program GPA: 3.28 (Ethics: A, Anatomy: B, Physiology: B, Medical Microbiology: A, Oral Pathology: B)
DAT score: AA=19, TS=20
State of Residence:
South Carolina

1. Shadowing Experience: 4 dentists = 500 hrs
  2. Community service: 500 hrs (habitat for humanity, meals on wheels, etc)
  3. Currently volunteering at Free Clinic in Miami area = 50 hrs

I need help and encouragement

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'll do my best to answer based on how I tailored my application, but this is just advice, take it or leave it

I would really push yourself to do better in your masters program in the upcoming science classes. Your grades aren't bad so far, but you really want to be getting As in these core classes. I do realize that's easier said than done, but try to analyze your study techniques and see if there's any room for improvement. What is your science GPA?
Your DAT isn't bad by any means, but it also a higher DAT score can somewhat make up for a lower GPA and other aspects of your application. If you can get your master's GPA higher by the time you complete it, then I wouldn't worry too much about retaking it. But something you might want to consider is retaking it, getting around a 21 AA and TS will help your case a lot.

Your extracurriculars are really solid, and you have way more shadowing hours than I had, I honestly probably would have pulled my hair out if I shadowed for 500 hours. I don't think you need to shadow as much anymore, I would just keep doing it periodically to show maintained interest in the profession.
Your volunteer work is great, just keep doing it when you can and make sure you have reasons to be there and are passionate about the projects, that really shines through in interviews when they bring it up. Maybe pick up a few dental related volunteering activities if you can find them to show you another side of the profession

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you sooooo much. I will be taking cancer biology elective and biochemistry 1 in spring. Any advice on tips, old tests etc for biochemistry. Also my advisor basically told me the same thing, make A's to bring up to 3.5 But need additional advice if you would please. Nova and Pacific dental schools came to Barry and I have follow up one-on-one with them scheduled for January. Any advice when it comes to GPA discussion??

Improve your grades and DAT scores. Schools will be looking how you do in graduate level classes, try and get all A's if you can. Good luck.