Need Advice! Desperate to Change my Life for my Dream

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starsandsky2468

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Thank you all for reading my story and helping me on my journey. It truly means a lot.

I started off as a great High School Student, great grades, score, extracurriculars, leadership positions, competitions, volunteer hours. You name it, I had it. But towards the end, I did start having serious depressive periods which went undiagnosed or treated. When it came time to decide what I wanted to major in, I knew I wanted to be a doctor but doubted my abilities. I wanted to go into Neuroscience. My entire family are software engineers and so My father pursuaded me into doing eletrical an computer engineering at UT Austin.

I went, because it would give e a stable job with a stable income - the worst reason to ever go into a major. They were in a nutshell, the worst year and half of my life. In every angle of my life, I was being attacked from the crippling loneliness, the insane amounts of stress, the pressure of my parents, my inner turmoil of not being able to pursure my med dream, my general unhappniess and distaste for my major, emotionally abusive friends and roomates. And so my drepressive episodes became a full blown demon of Chronic Depresson. In the End, I was so numb and had so many dark thoughts that I pushed away. My GPA dropped to a 1.83. I could not take it, I left UT and told myself I need to change my life because I cannot keep living like this. I cannot convince myself everyday to stay alive. So I did, now I am home and am spending this semester trying to recuperate. I finally got medication and am working out most days. I am starting to definitely feel better. I am in community college taking smaller cources like the Govts, and English that all majors require. By the end of this semester, I project I will have a GPA of about 2.3 or 2.5. I am really hoping to get into UTD the (University of Texas at Dallas) to do Biomedical Engineering or Neuroscience.

My plan as of now, is to heal, to get into UTD. To ace my classes, because I will actually like them unlike my computing and circuit classes. And though I will end up with a lower GPA, something above a 3.0, I thinking that I can prove my upward grade trend espicially if I score very highly in all my science and pre-med cources. I want to explain to Med schools that I was struggling with Mental Issues but found a way to control them and take care of myself. I am already studying for the MCAT and am planning to try to get a high Score. I really want to get into Medical School, and do the passion that I want and was not given to me. Please tell me your advice, thoughts, or anything else. Thank you all Truly. I am going through one of if not the roughest patch in my life so far, and really want to come out of it.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all take care of yourself. There is nothing to be gained by rushing back to a big school. Start slow and keep working. Get yourself comfortable taking classes and start adding ECs. Don’t even think of the MCAT at this point. It will be several years before you will apply so again, take it slow. Don’t plan on getting all As in you classes. You are only setting yourself up for big disappointments. And that won’t be good for you. An upward grade tend is important so work hard but be realistic. But be kind to yourself. If you aren’t totally well med school will be tough. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user