This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMermaid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I needed some advice on what pre-reqs are accepted by med schools. I am about to graduate with my biology degree and originally had planned to go to PA school, but had a change of heart recently and decided to pursue med school instead. Since I had not intended to apply to med school before, I skipped classes that were not required for me to graduate. I am taking a year off, though, so I have time to complete these by next year's cycle.

I have almost all the pre-reqs listed by most schools except ochem 2, biochemistry and another semester of physics. I have noticed that biochemistry is not required by all schools, though, so would you suggest I still take it even though I have learned the basic concepts from my other classes? I plan to take ochem 2 in the summer or fall and that leaves physics. I have taken 1 semester already which was physics 101. Are there specific physics classes required for pre-reqs or can we take any? For example, since I have taken physics 101, if I took physics 111, would this meet the requirement or do you suggest I take both 111 and 112?

Any tips/suggestions are welcome as I am still new to the med school process!

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Take biochem, it will help you to prepare for the MCAT as it is biochem heavy. I think the trend will be that more schools will start to add biochem as a requirement as opposed to only being recommended. I have skipped genetics and cell biology but you can take those two as well if you want a really good foundation for the MCAT. In regards to physics, I believe you have to take college physics, not intro to physics so that would be 111+112.

Take biochem, it will help you to prepare for the MCAT as it is biochem heavy. I think the trend will be that more schools will start to add biochem as a requirement as opposed to only being recommended. I have skipped genetics and cell biology but you can take those two as well if you want a really good foundation for the MCAT. In regards to physics, I believe you have to take college physics, not intro to physics so that would be 111+112.

Thank you for the info!
Fortunately I have already taken genetics and cell biology, so hopefully that will help with the MCAT.
Darn, I was hoping my physics class would count for something...
I appreciate the advice, though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the info!
Fortunately I have already taken genetics and cell biology, so hopefully that will help with the MCAT.

I am not so sure about the physics though, so just wait to see if other memebers would confirm what I said. I opted out to take college physics 1+2 so I honestly don't know if schools will accept one intro class and one general class.

Thank you for the info!
I believe they will... AACOMAS (even AMCAS to an extent) are very hands off when it comes to these prereqs.

Hi everyone!

I needed some advice on what pre-reqs are accepted by med schools. I am about to graduate with my biology degree and originally had planned to go to PA school, but had a change of heart recently and decided to pursue med school instead. Since I had not intended to apply to med school before, I skipped classes that were not required for me to graduate. I am taking a year off, though, so I have time to complete these by next year's cycle.

I have almost all the pre-reqs listed by most schools except ochem 2, biochemistry and another semester of physics. I have noticed that biochemistry is not required by all schools, though, so would you suggest I still take it even though I have learned the basic concepts from my other classes? I plan to take ochem 2 in the summer or fall and that leaves physics. I have taken 1 semester already which was physics 101. Are there specific physics classes required for pre-reqs or can we take any? For example, since I have taken physics 101, if I took physics 111, would this meet the requirement or do you suggest I take both 111 and 112?

Any tips/suggestions are welcome as I am still new to the med school process!

Thank you in advance!.

It really depends on the actual names of those physics classes. Is physics 101 College Physics or is it something like Atoms to Galaxies or some other weird sounding class like that with a "Phys" label? I would take "College Physics" 1 and 2. I would also highly recommend a biochemistry class as close to your MCAT studying as you can take it. I took an 8 week intensive biochem class this summer and it is helping so much with the MCAT especially with a move towards how different systems/subjects are related biologically. If you haven't taken a psychology or sociology class, I would try to fit at least one in. On that same note, if you have taken psych or soc, take an upper level one as well or a philosophy/ethics class. These classes tend to be heavy with reading and this (what I would consider boring) reading will help prepare you for CARS and Psych/Soc.

It really depends on the actual names of those physics classes. Is physics 101 College Physics or is it something like Atoms to Galaxies or some other weird sounding class like that with a "Phys" label? I would take "College Physics" 1 and 2. I would also highly recommend a biochemistry class as close to your MCAT studying as you can take it. I took an 8 week intensive biochem class this summer and it is helping so much with the MCAT especially with a move towards how different systems/subjects are related biologically. If you haven't taken a psychology or sociology class, I would try to fit at least one in. On that same note, if you have taken psych or soc, take an upper level one as well or a philosophy/ethics class. These classes tend to be heavy with reading and this (what I would consider boring) reading will help prepare you for CARS and Psych/Soc. .

Physics 101 is listed as "introduction to physics" while 112/113 are listed as "general physics". From what I remember, our class covered much of what was covered in the 112 class according to some classmates, but I'm not sure if 112 was more detailed than ours. If I have no other choice, I don't mind taking 112/113. I just want to make sure I am using my time wisely.

Many people have suggested I take biochem, so I think I will add it to my list! Some of my friends who took the MCAT said that I may be able to get away with not taking it as long as I spend enough time studying for it, but from everyone's suggestions, I think it may be smarter to just take the class. I know the basic concepts, so I am sure the class won't be too bad...

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what type of classes fall under sociology? I have taken classes such as physiological psychology (which was basically neurobiology but with concentration on behavior), Human Origins, Human Development, etc. and these were mostly upper levels classes, so would these count?

Physics 101 is listed as "introduction to physics" while 112/113 are listed as "general physics". From what I remember, our class covered much of what was covered in the 112 class according to some classmates, but I'm not sure if 112 was more detailed than ours. If I have no other choice, I don't mind taking 112/113. I just want to make sure I am using my time wisely.

Many people have suggested I take biochem, so I think I will add it to my list! Some of my friends who took the MCAT said that I may be able to get away with not taking it as long as I spend enough time studying for it, but from everyone's suggestions, I think it may be smarter to just take the class. I know the basic concepts, so I am sure the class won't be too bad...

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what type of classes fall under sociology? I have taken classes such as physiological psychology (which was basically neurobiology but with concentration on behavior), Human Origins, Human Development, etc. and these were mostly upper levels classes, so would these count? .

No worries! Good for you for taking the initiative to find these things off. Wow, you're set for upper levels haha. Psych/Soc section should be relatively easy to brush up on for you.

Thank you so much for the information everyone! I really appreciate it!
If anyone else has anymore tips/advice for classes that may be beneficial, feel free to leave a message :)

I am trying to find more information about whether my physics class will count and if I find anything new, I will be sure to let you know

Last edited: