Need advice for whether I should apply this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I apply this cycle?

• Total voters

freezyfries

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I would appreciate some advice on whether I should apply this cycle even though it's already September. I only recently switched from pre-med to pre-dental (about 6 months ago) and I was initially going to apply to dental school for the Fall 2017 cycle. I took my DAT earlier this month and got a 21AA and 22TS and have a 3.75 GPA. I'm from Texas so it is a little too late to apply with TMDSAS but I wouldn't mind going out of state.

I'm graduating this semester and if I waited, I would have an entire year and a half of time before dental school. So i'm not sure about what to do and would like advice because I have little shadowing experience with dentists (only 100 hours with the same endodontist) and I would be applying without my university's committee letter. Would applying now and not getting in hurt my application next cycle? Do I even have a chance of acceptance with such a late application?

Any advice is appreciated!

P.S. This is my first post, be gentle!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and the 3.75 is my science GPA and my total GPA is 3.8.

Your GPA looks really great, and you're DAT is pretty good too. I honestly think you could have a chance despite what everyone says about applying early. There have been instances in which people have been accepted to some dental schools and have applied late into the cycle (around October), but everyone's case is different and nothing is ever guaranteed in this unpredictable process. If you just started to apply now, you'd have to wait several weeks for things to be processed including your transcripts, GPA verification, and mail-outs. As for your LORs, if you haven't already asked your letter writers, you'd have to give them a period of at the very least two weeks (and we all know not all professors can do that). Do you have a personal statement ready that's been looked over and edited? These are some things to consider. With that being said, if you can wait a year, then by all means do so as long as you do something productive with your time and apply early during the next cycle. I would say the only thing holding you back from the information you've given us (besides the timing) is your shadowing hours. It's great that you've accumulated 100 from an endodontist, but you should really try to gain some shadowing hours from a general dentist. All in all, I think if you can afford to take a gamble given your statistics, and if you don't mind hastily putting together a complete application, you'll have a slight chance. However, if you wait a year and gain some more shadowing experience from a general dentist, take the time to write a convincing personal statement, and get a letter from your school committee, you'll have a much better chance.

Edit: I voted yes because you have the potential.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say go ahead and apply this year, given your very strong stats. and honestly 100 hours is actually not bad at all so i don't think you need to worry too much about that- i know a lot of people have lower hours than you and they still got accepted. With your stats, I do think you have a great chance for this cycle. Plus, would you want to wait an extra year doing some crappy low-paying job (and think about losing an extra year of income as a dentist)?

Good luck!

I've never understood why so many applicants have such an aversion to a gap year. I think a gap year (or two or five...) can be a great opportunity.

My advice is to wait for next cycle and apply early. Unless you're so loaded ($$$) you don't mind passing up the opportunity to go to a TX school (many would do unspeakable things for in-state TX tuition) and/or applying twice.