Need advice from Trad Students/MDs/DOs! Med school with NF.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NormanJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN.
First I'd like to take the time to thank everyone who's taking the time to read this. I really appreciate it.
Before I ask my question. I'd like to give a very quick summary of my current situation.

[Current Situation/Standing] I'm graduating with a BBA (Bachelors of business Administration in finance) in the spring of 2017. I didn't take ANY science classes like Biology, Chemistry since High School. I always wanted to be a doctor. I was VERY lucky to find a scholarship that covers 100% of my finance degree costs, and I had no choice but to take it. Anyways, becoming a doctor is my ultimate dream, I have zero interest in the business sector, and I can't imagine myself working a desk job from 9 to 5. I really want to save lives, and make a different in the world. I'm very passionate about EM. I think its super cool. I just have some questions, some are really bothering me, and are eating me alive.

[Questions]

Q1) I was born with a rare genetic disease (NF1) A lot of you know it, im sure. NF caused many problems for me, I had 4 scoliosis surgeries, foot surgery, I'm almost 22 and I look like a middle schooler (not joking, I even get ID ed when watching a rated R movie, or buy a video game). I also weight 96 pounds!. NF caused many problems for me, during high school, as I mentioned, with all the surgeries and pain, I managed to make something out of my life, and get myself into a nice university. I don't have any lumps (And I'm scared that someday I will) . But I do have a lot of cafe au lait spots that are visible. My question is will this be a problem for me in medical school? is it something that I should discuss on my personal statement/interview? Or will the fact that I have NF cause me to get rejected from Med schools?

Q2) Will taking some post-bacc pre med classes at a community college hurt me? I'm thinking about starting to take gen chem1,2 the summer after my graduation at a community college, and all the other classes i.e Organic chem1,2, physics1,2. Biology.... at a 4 year university.

Q3) I'm currently at a private school which is very expensive. (I'm glad that im not paying for my tuition). But there is a cheap public 4 year university in my city that offers pre-med, but that college kinda have a bad reputation. Will taking my classes there effect my med-school admission? Or will they only care about my GPA?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this. And sorry for the drama.

P.S: Are there any people with neurofibromatosis in here who are just like me?

Members don't see this ad.