Need advice from Trad Students/MDs/DOs! Med school with NF.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NormanJ

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear SDN.
First I'd like to take the time to thank everyone who's taking the time to read this. I really appreciate it.
Before I ask my question. I'd like to give a very quick summary of my current situation.

[Current Situation/Standing] I'm graduating with a BBA (Bachelors of business Administration in finance) in the spring of 2017. I didn't take ANY science classes like Biology, Chemistry since High School. I always wanted to be a doctor. I was VERY lucky to find a scholarship that covers 100% of my finance degree costs, and I had no choice but to take it. Anyways, becoming a doctor is my ultimate dream, I have zero interest in the business sector, and I can't imagine myself working a desk job from 9 to 5. I really want to save lives, and make a different in the world. I'm very passionate about EM. I think its super cool. I just have some questions, some are really bothering me, and are eating me alive.

[Questions]

Q1) I was born with a rare genetic disease (NF1) A lot of you know it, im sure. NF caused many problems for me, I had 4 scoliosis surgeries, foot surgery, I'm almost 22 and I look like a middle schooler (not joking, I even get ID ed when watching a rated R movie, or buy a video game). I also weight 96 pounds!. NF caused many problems for me, during high school, as I mentioned, with all the surgeries and pain, I managed to make something out of my life, and get myself into a nice university. I don't have any lumps (And I'm scared that someday I will) . But I do have a lot of cafe au lait spots that are visible. My question is will this be a problem for me in medical school? is it something that I should discuss on my personal statement/interview? Or will the fact that I have NF cause me to get rejected from Med schools?

Q2) Will taking some post-bacc pre med classes at a community college hurt me? I'm thinking about starting to take gen chem1,2 the summer after my graduation at a community college, and all the other classes i.e Organic chem1,2, physics1,2. Biology.... at a 4 year university.

Q3) I'm currently at a private school which is very expensive. (I'm glad that im not paying for my tuition). But there is a cheap public 4 year university in my city that offers pre-med, but that college kinda have a bad reputation. Will taking my classes there effect my med-school admission? Or will they only care about my GPA?


Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this. And sorry for the drama.


P.S: Are there any people with neurofibromatosis in here who are just like me?