Need Advice Meeting With The Dean Today!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Giddyup5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i am meeting with the dean at one of the schools i am waitlisted today. I initiated the meeting soo exactly what should i talk about?

I plan on bringing my updated transcript showing that my gpa raised from a 3.55 to a 3.65 over the past year and that i successfully graduated.

I hope to show my interest beyond a letter of intent with the interview. I am going to stress my interest that this school is my number one choice...which it really is (haven't gotten in anywhere else either).

Besides that I am going to try to guage where i am on the waiting list, and to see if theres anything else i can do now to get noticed.

Also if it seems like my chances are not that good, than i will ask about strengthening my app for next year. What he thinks i should do? Do i need to redo my personal statement and all secondaries? What should i do with my year off? WHY DIDN"T I GET IN THIS YEAR?

I haven't been doing much since i graduated soo i hope he doesn't ask what i have been up to lately? IF he does...WHAT SHOULD I SAY

I plan on applying to a couple pharmacutical companies as backup if i have to take a year off...should i tell him that?

i know thats a lot...but thanks to everyone for responding and their advice..its much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

The first half is a good idea. Be as specific as possible as to why you want to go there. Mention unique programs, opportunities that this school offers. He will not discuss your app (essay, recs, etc) while you are still in active consideration so save that part untill after you get rejected (if that happens). Have a clear idea as to what you want to be doing this summer during your break and why. Just be yourself, dont be shy to explain a weak part in your application but make sure you can say/show why their school is a good fit for you and why you are a good fit for them. Good Luck

* And if the dean says something like "you have a pretty mouth," then run with it!

Just an idea, but perhaps you should know what you want to talk about before you schedule a meeting with the Dean.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an idea of what to talk about....mainly updating them on my status and express my interest in their school as my number one choice specifically. I was just wondering if there is anything else that I should discuss...specifically i am not doing much this summer yet because i feel like im in a state of limbo with all my waitlists...

I have read on here before that it is bad to say that you have a back up plan? So should i not tell him that i plan on applying to pharm companies?

I would avoid talking about a back-up plan unless the dean specifically brings it up or your chances appear to be zero.

This meeting should be about you getting in this year. Stay positive and confident.

I had one of these mettings with a dean previously, the dean actually ran the majority of the conversation but I felt like I got my message across. It felt like a second interview. Just be ready to make your case.

Thanks for responding. Yea i plan on sticking to getting in this year as my main point. Overall im hoping that meeting with him shows my genuine interest in getting in, and hopefully bumps me up a couple of spots on the list if its ranked.

Telling the dean about a 'back-up' plan sounds defeatist. Typically, you shouldn't give up until the battle is over. Prove the case that you're a more improved applicant by emphasizing the positive things that have happened since you turned in AMCAS and since you interviewed. Also discuss positive aspects of the school that attracted you to them in the first place (curriculum, the quality of medical education etc). In the name of everything that's holy, just don't mention any back up plans.

Thanks i'll stay away from a backup plan...

also is wearing a suit too much for this interview?

If you dont mind lying, tell him you are already studying for the MCAT to retake if you do not get in.

Have you ever seen "Spies Like Us"? (best movie ever). You need to walk in there, loudly say "Hi Dean So-and-So" and ask him to hold your wallet, then lean in and whisper, "there's a thousand dollars in there...or is there?" Very important to raise one eyebrow ridiculously high while saying that last part.

Edit: Good luck with your meeting, seriously, good for you for taking the initiative

lol thanks for all the advice...I hope today goes well...any new suggestions keep em coming

It is important to tell the dean why you love his school, but my guess is that he knows it is great. Every other applicant that sends in a letter will talk about the same programs, blah, blah, blah.

The best advice ever given to me was to sell myself. Why are you in particular a great fit for the school? How would the school and your fellow classmates benefit from your attendance?

Good luck, and I agree with zeff- you showed great initiative by scheduling this meeting. Good for you! :luck:

I plan on bringing my updated transcript showing that my gpa raised from a 3.55 to a 3.65 over the past year and that i successfully graduated.

I don't think this adds much value to the dicussion. Stick to the intangibles that can set you apart.

make sure to look at the mission statement of the school and sell yourself on how you fit the mission statement by giving examples of what you have done...best of luck

THANK YOU ALL...your advice helped greatly...

and on that note im off! i'll let you guys know how it goes