Need Advice: Non-Science Major Postbac Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majahops

YOU are great.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to several different "Basic Sciences" Postbacc Predmedical Programs (for people who have degress in non-science majors).

So far, I have been accepted to Mills and Georgetown's programs.

While there is a plethora of information available on this site - and across the internet in general - about SMP programs, there seems to be little available information on the utility of "Career-Changing" or "Basic Science" Postbac programs.

I suppose my question(s) are:

1) Are these types of Programs as useful as SMP programs, in general? (I understand that an ample answer would be quite complex, thats why I am just asking for a rough feeling of "yes they are just as good because.." or "no, they are a rip off because..."... I realize my past GPA etc. play a major role in all of this, but I want to know if - all things held constant - are these programs a good avenue for getting into med school, assuming I perform well in them - relative to their "SMP" counterparts?)

2) As far as Non-SMP programs go, are Georgetown and Mills "up there" and "connected"? I realize there are pro's for both, but overall, which one would you consider the better of the two - all other things held constant? I know that a truly thoughtful answer would include something like "well, it depends on what region you like more, they have different atmospheres and temperature, whether you like an intimate setting with accessible prof's, etc..." But im not asking for that, im just asking for a rough gut feeling like "yeah, school-x is generally considered a better, more "connected" program than school-y"...

If anybody can answer either of these questions, you'd really be helping me in the sanity department, let alone in my decision between which one to attend.

Thank you so much again. I eagerly await any response - as many as possible are welcomed.

TiM

Members don't see this ad.

First off, if you search around this forum, you'll find a TON of info about post-bac programs for non-science majors. Start by checking the FAQ, then use the search function.

Secondly as to whether a program is as good as SMP, I'm not sure what you're getting at here. As far as I know, SMP is for students who have a science background and need to get their GPA's up, so they have a totally different goal than a program for people lacking the pre-reqs. But as to your general question of whether or not a formal post-bac program is a good avenue for getting into med school, the answer is absolutely, provided it's a program with a good reputation. Also be aware that you don't HAVE to do a formal post-bac. Many people choose to take the pre-med courses on their own, without enrolling in a formal program. However, the better post-bac programs do offer a lot of advantages which can make them a good deal for the right person. Which leads me to the next topic...

As to the reputation of the two schools you mentioned: I'm not familiar with Georgetown's post-bac program. Mills does seem to have a fairly good rep, although one person I know who was accepted there was very dissapointed when they went to visit and opted not to attend. Some other post-bacs that are generally considered to be tops are Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Scripps, Columbia, Tufts, and Penn. I'm currently enrolled in the Goucher program and really can't say enough good things about it. The classes and advising are great, and the med school placement rate is 100%, with a very high number of those people heading to top ranked schools such as Hopkins, UCSF, Harvard, etc. If you aren't set on the others that you mentioned, you might consider checking it out.

Good luck whatever you decide.

1) I think the "usefulness" of a basic science post-bacc is quite good, because there are advisors just for you, you KNOW the other students in the program are in the same boat as you, etc. Is this what you're asking? If not, I don't understand why you are asking about SMPs because if you did well enough to get into those programs you were accepted to, and did well in the program, and get a good MCAT score, then you won't have to worry about a SMP at all.

2) Yeah, G-town and Mills are both top-tier in the post-bacc world, so don't go by the supposed rep of one over the other. If you want to know the gut feeling of this random Internet poster, I'd pick G-town.

Good luck to you.