My Postbac Experience (Scripps)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pb2md123

Reaction score
I wanted to describe my experience at the Scripps Postbac (completed 2022) for anyone who might be applying in upcoming cycles. I completed the one-year full-time program and am currently in the midst of the 2022-2023 MD application cycle.

I chose Scripps for the following reasons:
  • It’s known to be a top postbac program with a high acceptance rate into MD programs (I wasn’t interested in linking but I know that the linkage agreements are a draw for many students in the program).
  • I wanted to stay in California.
  • The Scripps program was smaller than other programs I’d interviewed with. As a result, the program was more flexible. My undergrad degree was in physics, and Scripps was really accommodating in helping me find courses to replace the physics courses in the core postbac curriculum. (When I interviewed at Bryn Mawr, I was told that I’d have to retake these courses so I’d have the exact same schedule as everyone else. I really appreciated the flexibility of the curriculum at Scripps).
  • The Scripps administration made it really clear that they were focused on the success of each student and it genuinely felt like they had a more holistic approach to the medical school admissions process. Instead of looking to maximize yield and expecting some percentage of students to fail, they really make an effort to accommodate individual students’ needs (such as letting students switch from full-time to part-time partway through the school year). This sort of individualized attention felt more welcoming to me and I couldn’t speak more highly of the folks in administration after completing the program.
  • I wanted to complete the program in one year, and I wanted a structured program that would help me navigate timelines and application preparation.

Additional positive aspects of the program that became clear during/after my time in the program:
  • I was able to easily access research opportunities at the Claremont Colleges. The professors are interested in working with both undergrads and postbac students, and I was able to join a lab and continue that research through the summer following the completion of the postbac. Other postbacs in my cohort were also able to join research labs during the academic year.
  • The administration really made an effort to know each of us in the cohort, and understand our goals. It didn’t feel like everyone was being pushed through the same template. I felt like DeEttra, Messina, and Dr. Preest all took the time to really get to know us as people and help us define and work toward our goals.
  • I didn’t realize this coming into the program, but I think it was actually a positive that we were taking classes alongside undergrads. The postbacs tend to be highly engaged in the classes and eager to participate, and this stands out to professors. Since most of us were seeking letters of recommendation (and potential research opportunities) during the postbac, I think it was actually positive to be able to stand out a little bit in this way.
  • The administration was really there to support me after the program finished. While prepping for interviews, I felt like I needed more 1-1 practice, and the admin went above and beyond to set up multiple sessions with me until I felt comfortable, which made a huge difference in my confidence-level going into interviews.

Neutral/negative aspects of the program from my perspective:
  • While the small cohort can be a strong point because it allows for more individual attention and potentially a tight-knit group of people, it also means that the culture of the cohort can be really heavily influenced by a small group of people. As a result, I think the overall closeness of the cohort can vary quite a bit from year to year. With a smaller group of people, it can also just be harder to find the folks you really connect with.
  • Definitely not a super hand-holdy program. While postbac students are given guidelines as far as timelines and goals, no one is going to be checking in *that* frequently to make sure you’re on track. However, the administration/advisors are very available so you can definitely get more guidance if you seek it out.

Overall, I am really glad I went to Scripps for my postbac! I am happy to answer any more specific questions about the program or chat individually to folks who are deciding among program options.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any thoughts on the difficulty of the program? For example, post-baccs like JHU and Columbia are known for their grade deflation and relatively high drop-out rate.

Thanks in advance!

I went to this program. It was terrible.

Yes, the cohort is small and you will likely not like a majority of the cohort. The program director does not select for character. Rather, simply who will have the easiest path to med school so Scripps stats look good. These were not good people at this program. Furthermore, the teaching was not strong either. Esp Mackey for OChem... he was a real piece of work.

Reactions: 1 user