need advice(really really need advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderwall

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's just suppose for a moment that Stanford isn't inaccessible to an IMG(or FMG)..What should a FMG do to have a chance to get into an IM residency program at Stanford?USMLE scores, LORs, electives,..Am I just hopeless??:confused: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible for FMG to land in one of those programs in certain specialties. I know high competitive programs have one FMG, you can say every other year or so. But, from my opinion, this candidate is something like that: 99/99 USMLE scores, strong three LORs from US, recent graduation (last 2 years), high performance in medical school, US citizen or at least green card, electives in US and/or publications in per-reviewed journals and doing well in the interview. This is because many AMG fulfilling these criteria already competing for one of few slots in these programs.

eh, maybe not as high as 99/99 but high enough. It is very possible for IMGs to land good IM spots depending on their performance. IM isn't tooo competitive at the moment, and many very good IMGs get into IM. Now, I don't know about Stanford in particular but I reckon they'd be similar to other top programs (who accept quite a few IMGs) . A lot comes off in the interview too :).