Need advice to get into DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Si44

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for advice on how to get into DO school in my current situation. I finished my undergrad at UC Santa Cruz 2 years ago with a degree in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology. Unfortunately, I slacked a LOT in college and rarely studied, which led to the following GPA:

cGPA: 3.30
BCPM GPA: 2.97
MCAT: Studying for it now, I am confident I can obtain at least a 507.
(I have a downward trend in my GPA)

I have about 150 hours of shadowing experience and 50ish hours of volunteering (Actively working on increasing both of these).

I would like to know what I can do to give me a shot at DO schools (because I feel as if MD is out of the question). I was thinking of an informal Post Bacc at UC Davis for at least a year (If i go full time for one year and receive straight As my BCPM GPA will still only raise to about a 3.2-3.3). Would an informal Post Bacc be worth it? If possible I would like to stay in California while I do whatever is needed to increase my chances to get into school (due to family issues).

I was specifically looking at a DO school such as Touro in CA, would I ever have a shot at getting in there from my current situation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you so much for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I think the west coast schools may be a challenge but you never know! You have a lot of room to impress admissions folks with your mcat. Also, your gpa itself isn't as important as the upward trend you will be showing. The only alarming part about your story is that you slacked a lot. Post bac itself isn't easy. If anything you have to be more disciplined now because DIY post bacs don't offer support. Lastly, don't let anyone tell you that you won't get in. There are a lot of people on SDN that talk out of their ***** and it's just a way for them to inflate their egos. People laughed at me for doing a post bac and I had 6 interviews at DOs and got into my top choice.

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on how to get into DO school in my current situation. I finished my undergrad at UC Santa Cruz 2 years ago with a degree in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology. Unfortunately, I slacked a LOT in college and rarely studied, which led to the following GPA:

I have about 150 hours of shadowing experience and 50ish hours of volunteering (Actively working on increasing both of these).

I would like to know what I can do to give me a shot at DO schools (because I feel as if MD is out of the question). I was thinking of an informal Post Bacc at UC Davis for at least a year (If i go full time for one year and receive straight As my BCPM GPA will still only raise to about a 3.2-3.3). Would an informal Post Bacc be worth it? If possible I would like to stay in California while I do whatever is needed to increase my chances to get into school (due to family issues).

I was specifically looking at a DO school such as Touro in CA, would I ever have a shot at getting in there from my current situation.

Reactions: 1 users
No one can give you your chances until you've taken the mcat. What makes you think you can get a 507+? Practice tests so far?

Getting a good mcat while raising your science gpa to at least 3.0 is what will get you into touro or western. Touro likes high MCATs. Also, for DO it's not BCPM gpa, as they don't calculate math into the science gpa. That might raise or lower your sgpa calculation. They do include kinesiology though if you've taken one of those classes.

I know a lot of students that want to stay in California, but I personally believe moving away for a couple years is a good growing experience because the rest of the country isn't like California in culture. Do what you can to get into a California school but I wouldn't be Cali or bust.

Best of luck to you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Until you have a score, you can't guarantee anything with the MCAT.

When you do apply, apply broadly.

When you say shadow, make sure you actually shadow a DO who is proud of being a DO.

I would also shadow at OMT practices.

When you are asked about osteopathic medicine on interviews, make sure your answers are not vague ones from google.

I would advise studying for the MCAT with all that you've got. Then apply with what you've got but also as back up apply to post Bach, or research year, or masters like public health at the school you really want (Touro Ca).

DO schools are known to pick students who are well rounded, are eager to learn, humble, and have life experience.

Best of luck. Study hard. Give it all that you've got.

Hi All,

Read this:
Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

Recalculate the sGPA without including math, and then come back with your real MCAT score. You will most likely need to do some form of DIY post bac, and apply broadly when the time comes. Unless you get 508+ on the MCAT then Touro becomes a long shot, and you will likely need to look at some of the newer schools or schools in the Midwest.

Hi All,

Easier said than done.

Reactions: 1 users