Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentin Tubules

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all!!

I'll be attending my state's dental school this Fall but I have been in a dilemma about whether or not I should commute from home (about 35-40 minutes). If anyone has had experiences with living at home during dental school how did it go?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I commuted about 30mins for undergrad. It was cool at first because I was saving a ton of money but 8:00am classes were the death of me. Plus if your school is in a major metro area (which most are) there's bound to be a bunch of traffic. If you don't mind waking up extra early I'd say go for it.

Might be really hard during D1/D2. We're going to be so busy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all!!

I'll be attending my state's dental school this Fall but I have been in a dilemma about whether or not I should commute from home (about 35-40 minutes). If anyone has had experiences with living at home during dental school how did it go?

You didn't mention where you are going to school, but some random things to consider when making a living choice have to include weather and transportation. If it's warm and you are using reliable public transportation, that makes the decision a bit easier. If it's cold, snowy, etc. that could definitely suck. If you are driving your own car, build in back up plans for the worst possible things happening to you on the worst possible days. You have a major exam at 8am and you come outside to find a flat tire on your car. Do you live with someone else who has a car you can borrow for the day? Your car won't start, or it dies on the commute in. If it's bad weather, say a few inches of snow/ice on the ground, but classes aren't cancelled, will you be able to make that drive and if so, how much longer will it take? Okay, you get the point. Just some random things to consider. For me, there's nothing like living within walking/biking distance to campus and never having to worry about such issues. Best of luck on the decision and congrats on the acceptance!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y'all!!

Are you planning on borrowing to cover your living expenses? If so, then commute.

Some questions to think about: How do they feel about you staying at home for another 4 years? Are there hints that they'd like you to have your own place or be independent? Would you plan to have roommates if you got your own place?

If your parents are generous with supporting you while you're in a demanding professional school, and won't ask for too much in return during your finals weeks, I think you'll have an "easier" time in school than if you lived by yourself. In terms of social life, collaborating with classmates, and having friends/fun, not living at home is your best bet.

Hey!

Thanks for all of the helpful responses...I am still trying to mull over what I should do. The transportation is not very reliable in the city so that won't work :(

I have been commuting for most of my undergrad career and I was always tired. The fact that I would be saving thousands has me thinking about staying home but I feel bad that my family has to see me struggle once again (lack of sleep/irritability).

On the other hand, I really don't have the social life or study groups I want because I am usually so ready to go straight home.

On the other hand, I really don't have the social life or study groups I want because I am usually so ready to go straight home.
From those I know in dental school currently, they really wouldn't be able to get by without a support group of friends who are going through the same thing. Something to think about!

It is rare when I am in favor of spending more $$ for the same product. This, however, is one of those times- spend the extra $$ and get the peace of mind. I wholeheartedly agree with @PeachDMD 's wonderful reasoning.

Also, it might not even be a huge increase in cost- consider how much money you'll be spending on gas + car insurance + maintenance that you can save if you rent near campus.

It is rare when I am in favor of spending more $$ for the same product. This, however, is one of those times- spend the extra $$ and get the peace of mind. I wholeheartedly agree with @PeachDMD 's wonderful reasoning.

Also, it might not even be a huge increase in cost- consider how much money you'll be spending on gas + car insurance + maintenance that you can save if you rent near campus.
From those I know in dental school currently, they really wouldn't be able to get by without a support group of friends who are going through the same thing. Something to think about!

Y'all are right! I'm going to hop to it and attempt to find some places to live and piece together pennies