Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_Leaftt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate some advice:

I made the mistake of applying before I knew my MCAT score. I've been getting rejections and no IIs this cycle so I know I need to make significant improvements in my application.
Besides re-taking the MCAT to improve my 498 (124,123,125,126) score, I am searching for what else I can improve.
I did a 1 year formal post bac and earned a 3.75, but I don't know if that was enough to prove to med schools that I can handle a rigorous med school curriculum because my undergrad sgpa is 2.86 and cgpa is 3.06.
So now, I don't know if I should take upper level science courses to increase my gpa or if I should pursue an MS degree. I have invested thousands in the formal post bac, so taking upper level science courses at my local university as un-official post bac would be cheaper than the MS. But I am willing to do anything to get into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I made the mistake of applying before I knew my MCAT score. I've been getting rejections and no IIs this cycle so I know I need to make significant improvements in my application.
Besides re-taking the MCAT to improve my 498 (124,123,125,126) score, I am searching for what else I can improve.
I did a 1 year formal post bac and earned a 3.75, but I don't know if that was enough to prove to med schools that I can handle a rigorous med school curriculum because my undergrad sgpa is 2.86 and cgpa is 3.06.
So now, I don't know if I should take upper level science courses to increase my gpa or if I should pursue an MS degree. I have invested thousands in the formal post bac, so taking upper level science courses at my local university as un-official post bac would be cheaper than the MS. But I am willing to do anything to get into medical school.

If you are applying DO, retake the science courses in which you did the worst at your local uni or even community college. Turn every C or lower into an A. Your sgpa and cgpa will jump up quickly. Unless you have a plan for how the MS degree is going to further your career if you don't get into med school, there is no need to do a formal MS program. If you aren't applying DO, then just pile on credits that you can get As in.

They don't all need to be upper level. You already have a post bacc under your belt. You need grade repair. Yes, As in advanced neuroscience are impressive... but if your app is getting screened out for low stats then it doesn't matter how impressive the courses taken are. You need to bump the numbers, and you can do that with by doing retakes of your lower level courses or taking any courses that you can reliably get As in. Do not take classes you are going to struggle with. That would be the opposite of what you should do.

You already know that you need to retake the MCAT. Study like it matters, and take it at a time so that you will get your score before you apply. Apply early, as in have your entire application ready to go, and submit on Day 1 of the cycle. Obviously, only do that if you've brought up that MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your postbac GPA is great. Concentrate on acing the MCAT, and engage in service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your cGPA and sGPA for DO schools including your post bac?

My post bac included graduate level courses, so I'm not sure if I can group them into my undergrad post bac. If I were to do so, my sgpa would be around 3.04 and cgpa would be 3.19.

If you are applying DO, retake the science courses in which you did the worst at your local uni or even community college. Turn every C or lower into an A. Your sgpa and cgpa will jump up quickly. Unless you have a plan for how the MS degree is going to further your career if you don't get into med school, there is no need to do a formal MS program. If you aren't applying DO, then just pile on credits that you can get As in.

They don't all need to be upper level. You already have a post bacc under your belt. You need grade repair. Yes, As in advanced neuroscience are impressive... but if your app is getting screened out for low stats then it doesn't matter how impressive the courses taken are. You need to bump the numbers, and you can do that with by doing retakes of your lower level courses or taking any courses that you can reliably get As in. Do not take classes you are going to struggle with. That would be the opposite of what you should do.

You already know that you need to retake the MCAT. Study like it matters, and take it at a time so that you will get your score before you apply. Apply early, as in have your entire application ready to go, and submit on Day 1 of the cycle. Obviously, only do that if you've brought up that MCAT score.

Thank you for your advice!
I wasn't sure how re-takes of lower level courses would look, but I understand what you are saying about bumping my numbers. The MS degree would be to prove to med schools I can handle a rigorous science curriculum. But I felt like I proved that with my post bac, thus why I didn't want to spend additional thousands of dollars on the MS. I know I cannot erase my undergrad gpa and it will never be competitive. How many credits worth of re-takes should I aim for before I can apply again?

Your postbac GPA is great. Concentrate on acing the MCAT, and engage in service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Thanks! I will not re-take the MCAT until I've shown serious improvement. I will also continue my community service and volunteer work!

My post bac included graduate level courses, so I'm not sure if I can group them into my undergrad post bac. If I were to do so, my sgpa would be around 3.04 and cgpa would be 3.19.
If you can increase your MCAT to over 500 you would have a chance for an interview at some of the newer schools. Do not retake until your practice scores are at least 505. Schools where you could receive an interview include:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
any new schools that open in 2018 or 2019 (there will be several)
In the meantime take some science and non science courses that you believe you could receive A's in. Avoid difficult courses.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can increase your MCAT to over 500 you would have a chance for an interview at some of the newer schools. Do not retake until your practice scores are at least 505. Schools where you could receive an interview include:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
any new schools that open in 2018 or 2019 (there will be several)
In the meantime take some science and non science courses that you believe you could receive A's in. Avoid difficult courses.

Thank you! Does it matter if I take some of these courses at a community college?

definitely take advantage of the retakes + upper division science courses. your sGPA is currently too low and would not work in your favor for osteopathic schools that have cutoffs.

retake the MCAT and get that CARS score up.

apply early, apply broadly, and obtain a DO letter if possible.