This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedinneed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-Medical student

GPA: 3.2
MCAT: Shooting for 509 - take it in a few days

Tons of volunteering, shadowing, patient care experiences, and EC in college.
I have awesome LOR!

Graduated college feeling like I totally messed up my future - had a lot of ups and downs throughout the fours years but just tried my best to push through.

Took a year off and worked as a Scribe to get some experience and really think about my life. After a year I decided this is something I have always wanted and will always want to pursue. I am very nervous about applying and wondering if anyone has any solid advice for me to improve my grades. As long as my MCAT fares well I believe the only thing holding me back from applying is my GPA.

Should I do a masters? Should I retake classes? Feeling very confused and unsure what I should do as my next move. Any advice would be super helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state of residency? Are you a URM? Have you done any research? Have you taken any MCAT practice test to show where you are currently at? What would you AAMC BCMP GPA be? How many credits do you have? What does "tons" equate to in hours for each of those things (Shadowing, clinical volunteering, and non clinical volunteering)?

State of residency - Indiana. I am white female. I have done 3 years of research with 5 publications and presented at 3 research conferences. MCAT practice test - 508 most recent. BCMP GPA = 3.0

Members don't see this ad :)
You have extensive research exp for an undergrad. Are you interested in MD or MD/PHD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Master's program, unless it's an SMP, will not help your grades. Any prereqs you got less than a C in you should retake and you have to ace them. Nothing less than an A-. You can do these classes at your local college/university. I wouldn't do them at a CC since you're retaking and trying to show adcoms that you can do well. In your situation, it'll look like a cop out if you do them at a CC. You don't necessarily need to register with a formal post-bacc program, you can DIY it.

If all of your prereqs are C's/C+'s, then maybe retake a couple of those and then take upper level courses in those prereq categories to show that you can do the work.

Doing well in either an SMP or a DIY post bacc would bring up your chances significantly. As of now (just looking at stats and assuming a 508 on the real MCAT) according to AAMC data you'd have about a 34% chance of an MD acceptance. Your strong research background will probably increase those chances a bit.

Doing well in a 1 year DIY post-bacc (taking mostly science courses) or doing an SMP would be the best to really increase your odds. And obviously the higher the MCAT the better. If you have or can start volunteering with those less fortunate that would help your odds at certain schools that highly value service.

Your can definitely still be a physician keep chasing your passions.